BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oil Leak

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

TomReilly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:21 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Oil Leak Reply with quote

Hello all, after passing my test and being able to ride my GSF 600S '03 Bandit, I have discovered an oil leak.

It drips a drop ever minute or two when warm, doesn't leak when cold unless its extremely slow.

I've only ever done simple tasks such as an oil and filter change with the help of a video.

This leak appears to be way above the oil filter though, at the front end of the engine.
I have some pictures, from first just trying to show you where I am aiming at the engine to last where I THINK the leak may be coming from.

My bike trainer suggested buying a second hand engine as it would save money rather than it be repaired, which is what I am planning upto now but I thought I may try post here in case somebody has a brainwave to what it may be, I hope the pics can help identify it and many thanks for helping Thumbs Up

So very front of bike
https://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa430/Rilo_UK/2_zpsdiyxfwyt.jpg

https://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa430/Rilo_UK/1_zpshljjc95y.jpg

Just behind that radiator/oil cooler
https://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa430/Rilo_UK/3_zpseklyqryu.jpg

And then a little higher, this is the highest point where I can see oil, this circled tube is coated all around with a slippery substance which I think is the oil?
https://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa430/Rilo_UK/4_zpsudj68ay2.jpg

TomReilly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:44 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess not,

If anyone spots a GSF 600 2000 - 2003 Engine let us know

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you afford to have the bike off the road for a while?

If so and you're planning to throw another engine in there then you've little to lose by having a butchers at it yourself.

You'll need tools to change the engine either way so put a little money into some tools (probably cost as much if not less than paying someone to change the engine for you), whip the engine out and start having a poke around.

You will get plenty of help if you're getting your hands dirty and will learn a lot in the process. We like to see stripping engines round here you see Laughing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would spray carb cleaner all over it (to try an clean up any old oil) wipe it over

then let it idle, hopefully this will be hot enough for the oil to drip

Could be as simple as the rocker....dont suppose you have had a go at the valves have you an not resat the rubber washer properly?

Last edited by mudcow007 on 10:02 - 29 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:01 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it runs OK you have 3 choices.

1: Do nothing and just keep an eye on it and the oil level in case it gets worse.

2: Find exactly where it's coming from and see if easy fix or not then decide.

3) Clean it up and sell it on.

I'd go for 2 and if it isn't an easy fix 3.

The price of another engine and the time replacing it would cover any loss selling and getting another bike.

Many years ago I would have quite happily ripped an engine out but not now. Plus if you haven't the tools it will cost you as said.

TomReilly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:06 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the idea of fixing things myself but this would be something cometley new to me and I spent 1200 to get the bike, yeah bit pricey.. so I'm a bit intimidated at the fact of trying myself. I don't really need to bike atm its more for pleasure. I live with my mum still and she paid a lot of money on the front and back garden so I can't be getting the flags stained, and the bike doesnt fit in the back either its stored in the entry so I dont really have room to work on it myself.

I will purchase some carb cleaner tonight and completley clean the engine and will take it for a quick 10 min spin unless idling would be okay. And to Mudcow, no I am a complete engine novice I'm not familiar with the valves or where they are sorry. If it helps my trainer thinks that the top end of the engine would need to be rebuilt but he didnt give me much to go off only had a quick look.

When I refilled the oil I put slightly over the max line (not intentional) and its still sat on/just above the line. How will this effect it?

So I will update you guys after cleaning and more clear pictures are taken. Smile

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandits have a rubber (reusable) gasket on the rocker cover (very top of the engine) these rubber seals leak if not fitted correctly - i know this because im ham fisted an mine leaked (an still does slightly)

The problem with oil leaks is that oil travels along way when its hot, so the leak could be miles away from where your seeing the wet spot fnarr

TomReilly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:34 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My man worry is that a previous owner has welded the exhaust on and it now has a crack all the way around so I want to replace the exhaust ASAP because it sounds like dragging a wolverines balls over glass. Do I have to see to the engine first if the leak isnt major?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:50 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomReilly wrote:
previous owner has welded the exhaust on

And you bought it like that...

well damn. Neutral

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
TomReilly wrote:
previous owner has welded the exhaust on

And you bought it like that...

well damn. Neutral

Luckily I don't think he means what you think he means (check out the pix) Laughing

TomReilly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:55 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah..

Bought it welded, not cracked.
Still mistake on my part, I'm only 20 and lots to learn, definitely wont be making that mistake again, my first proper bike.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you get my PM?

TomReilly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:28 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
did you get my PM?

Yes sorry, I never usually have any need to check if there is one haha.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:39 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look too bad and given all the hassle of replacing an engine I would leave it and get your money's worth first.

Some of those old Brit bikes were always dripping oil, it was a rite of passage I guess with some of the Bonnies although no doubt I'm gonna get told otherwise.

If you're feeling up to it, try changing the rocker cover gasket first, as it does seem to be weeping from that area.

Overfilling the crankcase with oil is only an issue if you've brimmed it Laughing And you don't sound like that sort of thick twat...

Filling the crankcase just above the Max is the norm with me, but not a drop more.

If the bike is working well and there are no other issues, enjoy it.

Hope this helps.

TomReilly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:00 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt realize I could get access to the rocker without removing the engine. Muddycow has gave me a brief proccedure of what to do and it does sound simple enough as I've had the fuel tank off a few times already. Definitely going to try have a look at that top gasket. But yeah I didnt brim it, it does seem correct levels now but for how long. But everything works great, just the exhaust letting it down and I do feel a loss of power since first riding it as the weld broke as I was using it. That doea help and reassure me a little though, I'll try get some pennies worth.

On another note, I'm after a new exhaust if anyone has any spares, not after anything fancy just as long as its not the stock steam roller thats attached to it.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say exhaust, which bit do you need....?

Headers

Link pipe

or

end can

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:57 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork dust seals also look very fucked but kinda hard to see.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:38 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1200 for an 14 year old knackered bandit Laughing

Clean it all up and cover the area in Talcum powder it should who where the leak is coming from.

Replacing an engine for an oil leak is insane, especially without even looking at it properly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1