Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First post and asking advice please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dsolds
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:48 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: First post and asking advice please Reply with quote

Hi All, Dom here,

So, looks like I'm getting back on a bike after 10 years of life as a car driver. The Mrs, at her tender age of 45 has taken up lessons and has bought herself a Yamaha R3 in readiness for the test pass. So I am under instruction to get myself sorted with 2 wheels, and therein lies the issue. I have no idea what to buy? Kind of hoping some people on here would have some ideas for me.

So, I'm not up to date with the bike scene, models, what's good etc and I really am struggling to find a bike I actually want to buy, hence asking for some suggestions / recommendations please.

I like:
Naked bikes
Shaft drive - this is quite important
Shed loads of torque
Bikes that don't weigh more than a London Bus.
Upright riding position.

I don't like:
Too much fairing. I prefer the wind, feels more like I'm riding and helps keep speeds down a bit.
Chain drive. Mess, maintenance and a ball ache I can easily live without.
Loud exhausts. Just not for me unless they are connected to a V12.
Monkey shagging a football riding position - too old for that.
Honda linked braking system. Really can't get on with this.
Bobber style bikes, rat bikes or bitsa style. I know, picky.

So, what would be good? To be honest I would have another XJR1300 but looking to get as close as possible, just with a shaft drive. I find the FJ a bit too bulky and heavy so of the 2 I would still go for the XJ.

I'm not a big tourer, more pleasure riding at the weekends. Just something for a nice ride out, no track days and no behaving like the public roads are a race track. Budget would be 4-5k.

What do you reckon then? Thanks in advance.

Dom

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:03 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft Drive, naked, not a bobber/chopper...
Those criteria sort of narrow down the choice a bit.. plenty of shaft drive bikes with full touring fairings about, plenty of shaft drive cruiser/bobber/choppers about; plenty of chain drive nakeds... BUT only thig that leaps to ind thats not a cuiser, is a aked, and has shaft drive, plenty of grunt and half reasonable upright ridig position, that springs to mind is.... Moto Guzzi.. V7's are not unduly heavy either. O/H's slightly dated V75 is actually lighter than a lot of 500 comuter twns, and carries its weight rather well; and feels like a super-charged 125 on steroids, o the road.

Only little niggle is they are.. well.. a Moto-Guzzi! Really. Worth a look though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: First post and asking advice please Reply with quote

dsolds wrote:

I like:

I don't like:
Chain drive. Mess, maintenance and a ball ache I can easily live without.

Where do you stand on Belt Drive?

No idea if that opens any doors but may as well get that cleared up...

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guzzi sprung to mind for me too - or how about a BMW R1200R?

dsolds
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:45 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps.

Guzzi - good shout, I hadn't thought of them. 750 twin, so plenty of torque. Nice looking bike. Going to take a look at one on saturday now. Thumbs Up

Belt drive, no idea. If it's as low maintenance as a shaft then fair enough.

BMW I hadn't considered, well not that model. Have to go check on it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: First post and asking advice please Reply with quote

dsolds wrote:

I like:
Naked bikes
Shed loads of torque
Bikes that don't weigh more than a London Bus.
Upright riding position.

It's the one I've bolded there that's limiting your options. Generally, shaft drive bikes are big and heavy - the two go together like horse and cart.

I wouldn't dismiss a chain drive. Fit a Scottoiler and maintenance is generally bugger all; even cleaning isn't that necessary TBH. At any rate, even if you just shag a chain and sprocket set every 12,500 miles instead of 25,000 miles - that's not going to be the end of your world given you're only using the bike at weekends for a bimble run.

If you could get over your fear of chains then this would open up a relative wealth of suitable machinery, especially in the adventure bike arena. They're generally of course half faired but I think for your age, type of riding etc, they would match you pretty well. If you're dead set on a proper naked then there's still a load of those too with not too bad a riding position.

In short, it's chain drive limiting your choices but I wouldn't let it - get back on a bike again and enjoy yourself Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not belt-averse, XB12.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:41 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: bleee Reply with quote

Vespa or something like that Suzuki Burgervan type thing.

I know both of these are totally unsuitable to your tastes but it did remind me of a conversation I had with a kid recently. He was admiring my rather terrible 40 year old shitty MZ and made noises about wanting a bike of his own someday.

I pointed out that at that very moment I was covered in oily crud, working on my bike rather than out riding it. I pointed out that any fashionable young person would be wise to choose something that you can reliably push a button on to get going and that wouldn't cover your expensive troosers in grime and oil as you went, and would be cheap and easy to maintain.

When you think about it most "motorcycles" as we think of them are horrible and costly to run. They're unsafe, uncomfortable and such a design would never pass anybody's health and safety criteria these days. I've often wondered why we're all still looking at an early 1900's velocipede design when something scootery-based does everything so much better these days. You can sit comfortably on a nice modern 400 or 600 scooter with low centre of gravity and carrying capacity doing motorways all day long without looking like a shitting frog or needing to have physiotherapy for your lifestyle choices.

Sad but true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: bleee Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
Vespa or something like that Suzuki Burgervan type thing.

I know both of these are totally unsuitable to your tastes but it did remind me of a conversation I had with a kid recently. He was admiring my rather terrible 40 year old shitty MZ and made noises about wanting a bike of his own someday.

I pointed out that at that very moment I was covered in oily crud, working on my bike rather than out riding it. I pointed out that any fashionable young person would be wise to choose something that you can reliably push a button on to get going and that wouldn't cover your expensive troosers in grime and oil as you went, and would be cheap and easy to maintain.

When you think about it most "motorcycles" as we think of them are horrible and costly to run. They're unsafe, uncomfortable and such a design would never pass anybody's health and safety criteria these days. I've often wondered why we're all still looking at an early 1900's velocipede design when something scootery-based does everything so much better these days. You can sit comfortably on a nice modern 400 or 600 scooter with low centre of gravity and carrying capacity doing motorways all day long without looking like a shitting frog or needing to have physiotherapy for your lifestyle choices.

Sad but true.

And go robbing when you are bored Thumbs Up

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsolds wrote:
Belt drive, no idea. If it's as low maintenance as a shaft then fair enough.

BMW I hadn't considered, well not that model. Have to go check on it.

No idea what they're like but the BMW F800ST runs a belt and the seat looks quite upright.
As I understand it, belts are clean and very low maintenance.

I have the same issue with needing to sit upright and I've moved over to Dual-Sport/ADV type bikes in the last 5 years.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a crashed FJR1300 and streetfighter it

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:54 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's long in the tooth, but what about a Honda NTV650?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW R Nine T.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Adventure bike route.

Big BMW's, Triumphs, Motoguzzi's, Hondas are all shaft drive. All pretty pricy as well.

I had the Triumph Tiger Explorer, loved it but the tax man loved his pound of flesh more so one of my bikes had to go. Crying or Very sad

A lot of the cruisers are shaft drive, at least they were, Would have to go and check which is or isn't now.

Get a Rocket 3 before they become history. Thumbs Up

Oh, how about a Yamaha V Max? Always fancied one myself and they are on the turn as an appreciation classic if you get one un bastardised.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me if they are in budget, it would have to be a Motoguzzi Griso 8V! Fairly modern and have a better suspension and brakes set up than many shaft drive nakeds.

A mint mk1 V-max could be cool, but a tidy std one would probably be quite pricey now, and I want a bastardized special which doesn't look a fraction as good as a std one.

There's a few old 90's shaft drive Jap nakeds, but a bike of that age for a fuss free weekend rider is not what you need, and if the budget is 5k I'd be looking for something much newer and as much bike as possible for the cash.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bimota Tesi 3D RaceCafe

Meets most of your specs...

Naked, Shaft, Torque, does not weigh loads. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

https://s20.postimg.org/bs96129n1/Screenshot_2017-06-22_at_23.41.24.png

https://s20.postimg.org/3lh69hjkd/Tesi_RC.jpg

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 11:30 - 23 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:45 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Bimota Tesi 3D RaceCafe

Meets most of your specs...

Naked, Shaft, Torque, dosent way loads. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

But looks soo wrong... as in the first time you hit the brakes you'll end up eating tarmac.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:37 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Puke

That is so ugly it's cruel.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:48 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:

Puke

That is so ugly it's cruel.

Is it bad that there is something about it that I like, and i'm not even sure what?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
BMW R Nine T.

+1 on this one.

dsolds
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:40 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:
BMW R Nine T.

+1 on this one.

Yep, I really like the look of that, probably a bit more than I really want to spend right now. I've got 4.5k but could probably finance the rest. Hmmmmm.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:10 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
dosent way loads.

Sick

There are very few restrictions on what can and can't be posted on BCF but your spelling is grossly offensive and there's just no need for language like that.

Ste for mod. Thumbs Up

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:
dosent way loads.

Sick

There are very few restrictions on what can and can't be posted on BCF but your spelling is grossly offensive and there's just no need for language like that.

Ste for mod. Thumbs Up

I apologise with the deepest sincerity. Embarassed

Corrected Smile

Ste for mod Thumbs Up

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Lose the assembly instructions did they?

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Want a bike along those lines that looks 100% less fugly?

MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0f/19/27/0f1927cacaf56a580ac0828e66de5c4c.jpg

No shaft drive. Immensely impractical. But look at it.

LOOK AT IT! LOOK! DON'T EVEN RIDE IT. JUST SPEND YOUR DAY LOOKING AT IT!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2