Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

£1,000 fine for excessive noise, e.g. rev bombs?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:18 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: £1,000 fine for excessive noise, e.g. rev bombs? Reply with quote

Recently in Parliament an MP asked "what the penalty is for motorcycles exceeding permissible noise levels on roads". He got the usual answer about not modifying your exhaust, plus this bit which seems to me could be used to nick all the sad dickheads who like to blip the throttle so that people will look at them: 'Regulation 97 of the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 provides that "no motor vehicle shall be used on a road in such a manner as to cause any excessive noise which could have been avoided by the exercise of reasonable care on the part of the driver"....This is punishable by a fine at level 3'.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2017-03-27/69268/

Sadly, Plod is far too busy with terrorism to enforce this. I've a good mind to film and report the arseholes who make such a racket where i live. If you blip the throttle to make people look at you, the only people you will impress are 10 year old boys. So you must be a paedo. Enforcing the noise rules could be the best way to protect Britain's children.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure a good chunk of us started as impressed 10 year old boys, wishing the passing bikes would do a wheely or something, "rev bombing" them is just encouraging the next generation of bikers Laughing

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant say I'm really concerned by a "rev bomb" (never heard the term before now), if that's the biggest concern that someone has they should count themselves lucky.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:00 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not my only concern Rolling Eyes But I would appreciate it if the local yoof could refrain from banging off the rev limiter for a larf. People only used to do that at rallies and the Bol d'Or and other places where you let your hair down. But in Sarf London people do it outside your bedroom window at midnight. I managed to give one of them a puncture the other night.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP's a proper boring dickjockey. They'll grow out of it, there's this thing called 'maturing'... you're obviously aware of it as you seem to have done yours to excess.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
I managed to give one of them a puncture the other night.

https://www.georgia-medicareplans.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/woman-shaking-fist.jpg

It's annoying, but a lot of riders (not just yoofs) seem to do it. I feel sorry for the bikes Crying or Very sad

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:11 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a newish phenomenon. I don't remember bikers trying so hard to be so obnoxious, just to get attention. For the last couple of summers there's also been a group of ATVs making as much noise as possible. They want to be famous and have a channel and a brand. Matching hoodies with a nonsense name on them. Maybe they think it's a way to get a reality show and a music career.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a boring twat, I never oblige when people do air rev gestures at me anyway.
It seems to be the Radgies who do it more so than kids, must be the Blandit drawing out the scumbags.
Then again, living in a scumbag area is likely the true cause. Laughing

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I feel sorry for the bikes Crying or Very sad

Why?

kippyzona
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:33 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do it so that people who don't know them can hate them as well.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a little more to being a paedo than responding to their requests for you to rev your engine. I may be wrong though.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftermarket loud exhausts save lives, possibly? They also indicate to scroats that there is a bike in the locale worth stealing.

Rev-bombing? Could do the same as well as making you look like a twat.

Last edited by pepperami on 10:34 - 23 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:33 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Loud pipes save lives' brigade could just wire up their horn so it is always on.

Or they could learn to be better at observing. Like the many people who somehow survive with a normal exhaust.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
The 'Loud pipes save lives' brigade could just wire up their horn so it is always on. .

Crying or Very sad please don't give them ideas Shocked

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
M.C wrote:
I feel sorry for the bikes Crying or Very sad

Why?

Cos it's not their fault they're being ridden by a bellend.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Cos it's not their fault they're being ridden by a bellend.

Every bike is Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like alot of noise in built up residential areas, or when walking through town. But almost all bikes can be ridden normally without making a huge racket. Out of town centres, or anywhere else is fine, and I'd expect alot of noise and twating around at a bike meet or pub nite etc.

Saying that I'm a huge hypocrite though, as there is a bloke in my street with a 5.0 V8 Jeep, with open side pipes. I always think Mad Max has arrived when I hear it start up, and I hope the blandsville white goods Kia and Hyundai owners are suitably annoyed too. If it turns one of them into a real car owner then it's done it's job!

Last of the V8's, the ducks guts etc! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:17 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
alot of noise

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TiTtIFjpI/AAAAAAAACxQ/HXLdiZZ0goU/s320/ALOT14.png

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
But in Sarf London people do it outside your bedroom window at midnight.

Undinist wrote:
Sarf London

Move.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:32 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
It's not my only concern Rolling Eyes But I would appreciate it if the local yoof could refrain from banging off the rev limiter for a larf. People only used to do that at rallies and the Bol d'Or and other places where you let your hair down. But in Sarf London people do it outside your bedroom window at midnight. I managed to give one of them a puncture the other night.

I wouldn't worry about it. When their bikes are inevitably stolen they'll have nothing to rev bomb anyway.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:16 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that many of the bikes are stolen anyway. But Plod has been instructed not to chase them at speed without helicopter support, so they can do anything they like, and they know it. If they open the throttle Plod has to get permission to chase and it's never given unless the helicopter is available or the suspected crime is serious.Teenage thieves are not supposed to be 'killed by the Police'. If they get chased they often throw their helmets away to force Plod to give up.

I don't know what counts as a serious chase-worthy crime, but it's not stunting, speeding or riding a stolen bike. Maybe snatching a phone from a pedestrian? I doubt it. Or putting a hammer through a jeweller's window and nicking a six figure sum of watches while threatening the staff? Some of the crims have been jailed for that, but not because they were chased and caught. Plod relies on intelligence and comes knocking on doors at dawn. They seem to have excellent intelligence on the estates with gang problems (i.e. all of them). Operation Trident, the very long-running operation focused on gangs and weapons, is well resourced and highly successful. The armed response units seem to know all the miscreants. But the new commissioner says those units will have to cut down on crime because of all the terrorism work. We already seem to have a knife death every month around here, and it's going to get worse.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least 50% of the reason I love my VTR so much is the RIDICULOUS noise it makes.

I mean, my ears ring for a couple of hours after riding it.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. I rode a quiet bike once and I simply felt unsafe. Nobody knew I was there.!

Bikers who complain about noisey bikes confuse me.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend moving out of South London. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
I'd recommend moving out of the south east of England. Thumbs Up

FTFY Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:18 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'd recommend moving out of the south east of England. Thumbs Up

I'm in Brixton, which I picked for its un-English qualities. If I moved anywhere else in the UK I'd miss the friendly people, intelligent conversation and beautiful women so badly...it would amount to giving up on life. Brighton might conceivably be a substitute for Brixton but it would be better to move to Italy and learn the language.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2