Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How fast did 600's ever get?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: How fast did 600's ever get? Reply with quote

I just thought about this, as people know I haven't kept up with sports bike development or reviews since the mid noughties.

But seeing as 162mph was hit in 95 with the first ZX6R, how fast did these late model last of the 600's ever get in top speed terms.

Did any of them ever break the 170mph barrier? I have a road test of the 98 R1 which recorded 173mph, but then I know that's not really comparible as some bikes like these R1's were short and stumpy and not particularly aerodynamic compared to their rivals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BIG ZOOK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:07 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: top speed Reply with quote

I think the R6 of about 2006 was the first 600 to reach 170mph??. Question

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 21:09 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will test and get back to you. So far only hit 150 something but had plenty of revs left, just not enough road.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Will test and get back to you. So far only hit 150 something but had plenty of revs left, just not enough road.

How much more motorway do you need? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 21:46 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno but the M11 private racing circuit started to look curved as fuck at those speeds so I backed it off before killing myself.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Dunno but the M11 private racing circuit started to look curved as fuck at those speeds so I backed it off before killing myself.

There's a section on the M1, around about Milton Keynes I think, where someone I know saw 180mph on the clock of their FZR1000EXUP once. Straight as a die for about 2 miles (he said it was).Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got no dedication at all.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:

I had more than that down the M6 on the zxr400.

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had 184 on the Speedo hitting the limiter in 6th on one of my b1hs... if it's 10 percent out it's not that bad still.
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's impressive and has to be in any money a shade over a true 170!

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the late supersports for the road 600's like late R6's and ZX6R's were topping 170 in speed traps, if they were reasonably aerodynamic coupled with 25 ish bhp more than turn of the millennium bikes.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:47 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

175mph is about the best you see in road racing, but that's obviously with a full race-spec bike and a professional on board.

You might see a little quicker if someone has a tow, I've had a look for stats but I can only find Superbike info.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:13 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a gsxr600 L1 recorded at 167 on gps, still seemed a little left in it to, he also had luggage on the back as we were on our way back from Spain, I was on a ZZr1200 alongside him with panniers and top box Very Happy

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:41 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 600RR hit a limiter at an indicated 172. Public road too. Darn hooligans.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy, I reckon that must be a pretty accurate speedo you had on the RR if it was touching the Rev limiter.

I don't mention or give a rats left ball over indicated speeds normally, as they normally always lie quite a bit at high speeds.

I know Superbike magazine said the ZX6R J model like a few of us once had, reads 180mph at the true top speed.

Also race bikes and speed traps are a bit irrelevant too, not only are the bikes tuned, but quite often depending on circuits etc they run lower gearing than standard road bikes, making them not able to reach the top speed they are capable of.

Nice to hear that in the 600's final days though that a real 170mph+ was being reached anyway.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Nice to hear that in the 600's final days though that a real 170mph+ was being reached anyway.

It's amazing what a bit of weight saving and some aero can do.

A mate bought a brand new ZZR600 in 1993 and I remember being really impressed with how well it performed - shot off like a rocket from a bottle and probably had 20 mph on my XJ900, with about the same power output.

Nice thing to ride as well, I can understand why people still like them.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My carb CBR600Fx had an indicated 163mph on those super straight roads in France.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:48 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet is your friend. Bit of a prelude with the R125 and R300. Skip to 3:22 for the R6 - 295km/h or 183 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59wP7aAh6WM

Not far behind the R1 at 299 km/h but it just takes longer to get there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1