Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Week off - what to do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Week off - what to do? Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just got next week off, and fancy doing something for a few days.
I've looked on the interweb and a ferry to France is as cheap as £35 return. I'm fancying a trip - any ideas?
I'm thinking just a couple of nights in the Normandy or a quick ride to the Ring...
I've also considered a trip to Mid / South Wales as an alternative.
I'm located in Yorkshire, about 260 miles from Dover, and would most likely be on a Panigale.

(Silly idea would be Portsmouth or Plymouth to Northern Spain but that's about £500 ferry fare.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:59 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruges is lovely and a short trip from Calais. I've driven it (not ridden) from Peterborough. It took 5 hours including Euro Tunnel.
From there, there's Cologne not too far. Rotterdam and Amsterdam too. While I've not been to any of these (yet) they all look very nice from my computer chair.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:51 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amsterdam is great if you havent been, really relaxed friendly atmosphere, but I've never been by bike so cant comment on that.

How I envy you southerners and having Europe a few hours away!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to do?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've certainly got a good idea with Normandy; they have alot of twisting rural hill roads to ride along! As for what to do when you're off your bike, I could suggest a number of things but it really depends on what you're into.

I've been to France many times but never on my bike; I hope that the ferry has somekind of clamp for motorcycles as I don't trust my kick-stand. Or I could just try out my centre-stand for once.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

France for a few days would be probably cheaper, but I'd like as much time off the bike as on if I were abroad now personally.

What really appeals to me most in this weather, is a week riding the Welsh forests on an enduro bike as part of an organised trip with nice camping or rural accommodation and a tasty bbq with lots of cold beer/cider every night. You'd be paying hundreds for such an adventure week though, as most of us live in the wrong place! Neutral

Will be a while before I've got one of my bikes built for cheap off roading, so I quite fancy hiring one of these new fangle trick enduro bikes to see how awesome or not they are for a noob that's not been off road properly for 10years or more.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some ferries from further north (Harwich, Hull and somewhere else I can't remember).
Have they all stopped now or just become prohibitively expensive?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week off, what to do? : Extreme wanking Thumbs Up

Last edited by pepperami on 20:54 - 22 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Week off, what to do? : extreme wanking Thumbs Up

Please define 'Extreme' in this case?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extreme wanking: Wanking at a public event, or whilst riding your bike, or at the front desk of the local cop shop, or at a wedding Shocked Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
it really depends on what you're into.

This.

For me, it would be the Normandy battlefields, memorials and museums of WW2, or cathedrals and abbeys or, how about connect the dots with these:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187179-Activities-c47-t6-Normandy.html

Or head down to the Moselle valley in Germany if you're into wine, or go down the B500 in the Black Forest, maybe come back up the Route des Cretes in the Vosges if it's just the riding you're interested in, or...

Give us a clue what you like? Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
I hope that the ferry has somekind of clamp for motorcycles as I don't trust my kick-stand. Or I could just try out my centre-stand for once.

On the two ferries I've used, they put a thick cushion over the seat and ratchet it down with straps. Nowt to worry about.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a serious note, why not just throw a dart into a map and go to wherever it lands.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
On a serious note, why not just throw a dart into a map and go to wherever it lands.

On a less-than-serious note, cos bikes don't tend to run very well at the bottom of the English Channel? Gagged

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:
it really depends on what you're into.

This.

For me, it would be the Normandy battlefields, memorials and museums of WW2

Indeed, there's not many other places where you can be driving/riding down a road and go straight past a real tiger tank.

chickenstrip wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:
I hope that the ferry has somekind of clamp for motorcycles as I don't trust my kick-stand. Or I could just try out my centre-stand for once.

On the two ferries I've used, they put a thick cushion over the seat and ratchet it down with straps. Nowt to worry about.

Glad to know. Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

For me, it would be the Normandy battlefields, memorials and museums of WW2

Indeed, there's not many other places where you can be driving/riding down a road and go straight past a real tiger tank.

I missed out on a King Tiger somewhere in the Ardenne, but did see these in Bastogne:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN3802_zpsnovdv7k4.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN3807_zpsj1zjd5xg.jpg

Which is another idea: Ardennes region?

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: ore Reply with quote

Giving it more thought, it's likely to be a bike based holiday, with the Ring looking favourite. I've done Normandy and Brittany, and the three boxes I want to to tick is Northern Spain, the South of France or the Rhineland / Nurburgring area. Still thinking....

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dedicated ring trip isn't cheap from what I've read from people doing it in cars (usually a group of mates all clubbing together and taking one car). But it is a notorious place and if you survived it, it's a great thing to have ticked off your bucket list.

If I were going to ride to the SOF or Spain, I'd want a minimum of 10days, as all your doing otherwise is riding your bike all the time. Last time I went to the west coast in France, we did two days there, two back, and probably two days of ride outs and exploring places. The rest of the time I stayed in a motel and used the bike just as a taxi to go to the beach, local attractions, restaurants and shops. So apart from short hop on hop off trips it was 4days of bike free time, and was easily the best holiday in France or on a bike I've ever had.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN3807_zpsj1zjd5xg.jpg

That's odd, it's like the tank version of a bust.

Quote:
Which is another idea: Ardennes region?

If he's willing to go further West there's St Malo in Brittany, which has lots of solid metal pillboxes where tanks or small/medium naval shells have left curved ricochet marks like a spoon through ice cream. There's also some German bunkers and the annuel Liberation celibrations where volunteers dressed as resistance or US Army infantry show off their vehicles and other relics.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the Ring once, this May. I did it in my old ZZR11, and just fancy going back to a, spend more time on the local roads, and b, just to tick the box with a Panigale.
The roads in the region looked amazing, but I didn't get to ride them as much as I'd like. Equally I'd like to spend a while watching the cars and bikes riding the Ring from one of the many vantage points.
But the Northern Spain bit appeals too....

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My box to tick is the 'Chasing the sun run'. Set off from Lands end at sunset, watch it rise in Norfolk. Shortest night / longest day is the hardest, but any time around now will be a challenge.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
My box to tick is the 'Chasing the sun run'. Set off from Lands end at sunset, watch it rise in Norfolk. Shortest night / longest day is the hardest, but any time around now will be a challenge.

I like this idea too.... Lowestoft is the destination is it not? Not sure how well it'd go on a Panigale with a 90 mile range though....

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:

453 miles in seven hours. That's an average of 65 mph. Considering the roads in the West Country, and a five minute stop every 80 minutes, that's some going!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
Rotterdam

Or anywhere? Liverpool or Rome?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
MahatmaAndhi wrote:
Rotterdam

Or anywhere? Liverpool or Rome?

I see what you did there Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2