Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

False neutrals

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:33 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: False neutrals Reply with quote

As Ste is ignoring the problem I assume he has no idea what's causing it so suggestions of what to look at please!

1991 GPZ500 drops from 2nd into neutral whenever you shut off the throttle completely. Makes a godawful crunching sound if you then put it back into gear. Problem is exacerbated by shutting off the throttle whilst going downhill. It isn't a problem of just not putting it into gear properly before that is suggested, it will do it every time after 2 seconds or 5 minutes in gear. [/i]

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worn 2nd gear, new boots which could mean not shifting the gears properly (firmly enough)?

False neutral = you up/down shift and you hit neutral. Can happen between any gear (2-N-3, 3-N-4, 4-N-5, 5-N-6). What you have is not false neutral, as the box jumps into the actual neutral. Wink

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 20:41 - 22 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:41 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again it isn't a problem of not putting it into gear properly. I'm not a retard. Nor is ste. Obviously we have checked this.

So I got the wrong phrase. Ah well. Anything useful to say?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, your 2nd gear is worn. Gearbox out, investigate. As simple as that. Wink

There's not much, nothing virtually, that you could see or do from the outside.

As you checked you shift the 2nd gear properly, how's the gear shifter linkage? If it's not tight, then it would be the same as not shifting the gears properly. As the 2nd gear tends to be the most worn gear on most of all motorcycles, it's easier for the 2nd gear to slip than the other gears in the box.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being 1991, the 2nd gear, you may either skip the 2nd gear when riding, rebuild the gearbox OR swap the engine. There are, or atleast used to be the last time I checked, a plenty of ER/GPZ500 engines around.

There: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=GPZ+500&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XGPZ+500+engine.TRS0&_nkw=GPZ+500+engine&_sacat=0

EDIT: I do realise, that buying a used engine is a lottery. If you want to be 100% sure, just rebuild the gearbox of your current engine.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, 3 seconds on google: https://gpz-500.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=870 Rolling Eyes

- Jumps off the 2nd gear: ✓
- The rest of the gears work: ✓
- 1 gen. GPZ 500: ✓

Quote:
john says: The 1st and 2nd gen gear trains are identical, all straight cut gears.
The only difference between the 2 is the type of bush used.On the 1st gen it's a phosphor bronze type...this bush wears and allows the gear to "wobble" on the shaft, this in turn allows the gear to disengage on overrun. On the 2nd gen, the bush was replaced with one made of hardened steel (EN grade) which doesn't wear and counters the 1st gen problem.
Here is a 2nd gen gear train I installed in the JPS when my 1st gen transmission exploded..(long and bum clenching story, for another time, Wink )

TL; DR: Replace the engine for a newer one or rebuild the gearbox. Thumbs Up

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:37 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's nothing else it can possibly be guess I'm skipping 2nd gear from now on. Clearly from the level of bike mechanical knowledge I have I am not going to be able to rebuild a gearbox.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
If there's nothing else it can possibly be guess I'm skipping 2nd gear from now on. Clearly from the level of bike mechanical knowledge I have I am not going to be able to rebuild a gearbox.

So sling another engine in. 6 hour job as long as the exhaust studs don't cause an issue?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd replace the engine with a newer one (avoid the 1st. gen engines, obviously). Complicated this might sound, it's pretty straight forward. Easier than rebuilding the gearbox, as for that you've got take the engine appart first to split the crank case.

If we use the Haynes ''spanner'' difficulty rating:
Engine swap would be 1/2 of a spanner
Gearbox rebuild would be full 5 spanners

IF you replace the engine, do the oil + filter and check the valve clearances.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:01 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhaust studs wouldn't be an issue as we had to change the whole lot already. More of a problem is that engines seem to be the same price as the entire bike. Goooddammit.

Is this something that's likely to get worse? It's only mildly dangerous right now...

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading around, they say the worn bush lets the 2nd gear wobble. Would you like to ride such motorcycle?

Also, the engine being the same money as the bike, well welcome to very early 90's bikes owners club. Razz

EDIT: Be glad you ride a GPZ 500 and there are a lot of spare engines laying around. Others don't have this much of luck and actually have to rebuild their gearboxes. Thumbs Up

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 22:13 - 22 Jun 2017; edited 3 times in total

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:

It sounds daunting but it's not that difficult!
If you have a Haynes manual or similar most people can do it.
You merely need the tools, time, patience and motivation to do it.

If a certain multi-monikered, obnoxious, fukwit on this forum can do it, anyone can!

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:16 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Reading around, they say the worn bush lets the 2nd gear wobble. Would you like to ride such motorcycle

Legit don't know how bad that is. Havent died in the last 1000 miles?

Suntan Sid wrote:
If a certain multi-monikered, obnoxious, fukwit on this forum can do it, anyone can!

So I should weld the gear box together and then pretend I've had sex at least once?

Reckon I'll throw all this info at Ste so he has to stop ignoring the problem and he can give rebuilding the box a bash in a few weeks when the R3 is back on the road.

Ta for helps Smile

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
Havent died in the last 1000 miles?

Are those your last words? Razz

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:26 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please make Nobby wear a polite vest on my memorial ride.

But yeh extra careful/no 2nd gear if it's not just a loose clutch cable/tight chain/something else that won't explode until it can be fixed!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a cheap low mileage GPZ in tatty condition or that has been dropped a few times, it'd be worth having the complete bike to harvest for useful spares, and also check stuff like pipe and cable routing when your putting your own bike back together.

I'd have another complete bike any day even if it gets left under a cover outside, as they'll be plenty of useful bits on it, I've learnt this alot recently and to think how I used to deride people that bought parts and spares bikes for resto's etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:44 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have to agree, sounds like a failing gearbox and only a rebuild or replacement is gonna sort it. Not too sure about the wisdom of avoiding 2nd all the time, as you're mind is often taken up with all the road demands etc to remember exactly which gear your in.

Interestingly exactly this problem occurred with the CB250 N Superdream I had (last of the line, 83 model) after 18K. Nice bike, rubbish performance, it got traded.

There are plenty of second gen bikes on the market, many of which have been used lightly and they are worth every penny in my opinion.

Chris
'97 GPZ500S 33K on the clock.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:50 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've learnt this alot recently and to think how I used to deride people that bought parts and spares bikes for resto's etc.

Me too, now I've got a garage full of spare bike parts Rolling Eyes

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep eye out for an engine then, Ive only had it do this once to me while riding it, did some testing and I could only get it to happen if I suddenly fully shut off the throttle at >5k revs I 2nd

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
Please make Nobby wear a polite vest on my memorial ride.

But yeh extra careful/no 2nd gear if it's not just a loose clutch cable/tight chain/something else that won't explode until it can be fixed!

As it only jumps into the neutral, then I'd say it is quite safe, if you know when it's gonna happen, but I just wouldn't. There is also a chance the gearbox will get worse and may even seize. The issue with that is, that you can't just disengage the clutch to save the day, when a gearbox seizes. Thumbs Down

Just for you, so you understand, it will go probably like this: The gearbox starts to make noise, then you hear a big clunk sound and the rear wheel gets instantly blocked and there's nothing you can do about it.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:41 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As it only jumps into the neutral, then I'd say it is quite safe, if you know when it's gonna happen, but I just wouldn't. There is also a chance the gearbox will get worse and may even seize. The issue with that is, that you can't just disengage the clutch to save the day, when a gearbox seizes. Thumbs Down

Just for you, so you understand, it will go probably like this: The gearbox starts to make noise, then you hear a big clunk sound and the rear wheel gets instantly blocked and there's nothing you can do about it.

Agreed, however the 'box is probably jumping into a false neutral as the guy says.. and that is a really scary place to be when riding the machine because the 'box could find that second gear at speed... Confused

Only saying this because as mentioned, the CB250N started doing exactly that and it was an experience I don't care to repeat!

Your final para could read for his gravestone. Honestly hope that doesn't happen though Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the thread again, Chris. It's not jumping into false neutral, it slips from the 2nd gear into the actual neutral on overrun. False neutral would be between the 2nd and 3rd, 3rd and 4th, 4th and 5th, 5th and 6th gear.

Either way, I wouldn't ride such motorcycle. Definitely not through a city, where you have to make full stop quite frequently and go over the 2nd gear.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:17 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:
guy
Chris45 wrote:
his
Laughing

As an aside it doesn't seem to falling into true neutral, because you then can't easily put it back into 2nd (godawful grinding sound) where as if you drop it manually into neutral then back up it sounds fine. It is rather terrifying to suddenly be freewheeling downhill round a corner, skipping it worked this morning though. Shall have to see what we can do/afford going forward.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:29 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As an aside it doesn't seem to falling into true neutral, because you then can't easily put it back into 2nd (godawful grinding sound) where as if you drop it manually into neutral then back up it sounds fine.

So as I was saying... when a 'box is slipping out of any gear it will be in false neutral and I do apologise for the confusion of missreading your earlier comment(s). I was recalling with some trepidation my earlier experiences of just such a problem and immediately jumped to the conclusion - false neutral.

Either way it's not a good place to be.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:55 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change up or down rather than just shutting the throttle...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2