BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike - Honda CBR600RR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:50 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was learning I was on a NC750, which has half the power of a modern 600. It scared the bejesus out of me the first time I nailed it. Pretty much all bikes are fast. Of course, you get used to it over time but dont fixate on power, the first time I ran through the revs on my own bike (cbr600 f6) my eyes couldnt keep up with the bike. Seriously, I nearly shat myself. IMO, wait until you have passed and see how you feel after.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:
you'll not be too upset if you scratch it etc

You must have the memory of a goldfish. I remember a multi page cry fest about a small, VERY small dink in your tank. Laughing

that dent was caused by the AA being unable to use the wheel chock properly to hold the bike causing a dent about six inches in diameter and caused a small tear in the tank. After having done it up ready to show at a local bike show or two.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 04:00 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger bikes can get you out of trouble as well as in it. Sometimes moving quickly into a space is the safest manoeuvre. Moving up to an RR600 may be a bit shocking at first but you will very quickly get used to the power. Personally I find them like mopeds but of course everything is relative. Remember you don't have to ride a fast bike fast! But with a slower bike you don't have the option. With a hard day at work ahead, a brisk sprint through the traffic can be a tonic and set you up for the day. Safe, fast overtaking is a joy to behold to beat the rush hour at the end of a shitty day! Head down, arse up, loads of horses; what else can get the adrenaline pumping so good? Ride the biggest, focussed bike you fancy. Just don't go mad for a while. If you are more faint hearted, there is always a car, and traffic jams! Yawn! But beware, once you become a big bike freak, there is no going back! Join the men's club. Dying men rarely say, I wish I'd ridden slower bikes and had less sex! I'll be 70 soon. Speed is just as much fun as it was in my 20's but the bikes are better. Go for it. Life is short but safety fast is a doable compromise. 600RR for a first 'proper' bike - you bet!!

PS. Just two bits of advice:
1. If it's wet, take the bus. Slippery manhole covers take no prisoners!
2. Each ride, someone is out for your scalp - don't rest easy until you have met!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:53 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
Head down, arse up, loads of horses;

Ste's video collection?

biker7 wrote:
But beware, once you become a big bike freak, there is no going back!

Counter-point: I actively enjoy smaller capacity bikes for my commute that has very few overtaking opportunities. Horsepowers for courses.

biker7 wrote:
If it's wet, take the bus.

Death first.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:07 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
After having done it up ready to show at a local bike show or two.

Its a ZZR. Come off it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:11 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show doesn't imply that anyone would look.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:
After having done it up ready to show at a local bike show or two.

Its a ZZR. Come off it Laughing

It was an ambition, never fulfilled as it's now been replaced due to gearbox death

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The GSX650F / FA has sports-bike looks with with a more upright, roomy riding position. Might be worth considering.

It's a bandit with more plastics. Compared to a track focused 600 it's tame. Compared to an A2 native bike it's pretty quick. It's a capable pillion bike and will take luggage for a longer trips or weekly shop. Really roomy bikes, compared to an SV which feels smaller and more cramped, although the seat is higher.

The SV is probably more fun, sportier and lighter, but I wouldn't want to tour on one.

If you want to trackday and a have a purely recreational bike, by all means get the sportiest 600 you can find. If you're unsure what you're going be doing, or have commute/tour on you list, get something a bit softer. Buy second hand and change bikes when you have an idea of what you want.

Also consider insurance costs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2