Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CD200 TA Benly .....Electric's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Aberdale Matt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:44 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Honda CD200 TA Benly .....Electric's Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am a total newbie to the site and have just bought a genuine under 5000 mile 79 Benly which I am now trying to get back up and working and need a bit of help advice / ideas.

Picked it up three days ago clutch seized through standing and lack of use sold as non runner as electrics were also playing up. Switch on and ignition light comes on however press starter and everything dims/ wouldn't start on kick start either - owner had replaced battery and last time bike was used was 2015 when owner clocked a total of 250 miles in six month stopped using as it kept conking out when slow running etc.

NOW THE QUESTION.........in order to show that the engine was running fine he somehow supplemented the power to the ignition by removing the black power feed to the indicator flasher unit and connected it via a simple on / off switch to the battery adding another separate power feed to the flasher unit.

Result of this was if he turned ignition on by itself same thing as before but if he switched on the additional power source green ignition light was brighter and engine started both on electric and kick start first time!.....It would also run direct from the additional power source with ignition key off.........To get lights etc working you had to use ignition key. All electrics worked ok although winkers now a bit fast and headlight dimmed in unison with flasher unit.

How has he managed to get it running?
I am now in process of checking the complete wiring loom for earth connections etc but any advice as to area I should be concentrating would be greatly appreciated - also can anyone steer me in the right direction for a coloured wiring diagram that you can actually read.

Thanks in anticipation

Matt

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 'Sold as seen' Benly CB200T a few years ago and it needed completely stripping down.

But the end result was worth it as it ran okay for a small bike and was only ever a restoration for Mrs.Fizzer to use as a commuter bike

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Bikes/BikesBikesBikes322.jpg

There is a Haynes manual for the bike as well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/h7b/Haynes-Manual-CD185T-CD200T-CM185T-CM200T-CM250C/B01GVQZAME/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1498419932&sr=8-1&keywords=Haynes+Honda+cd200T

I borrowed one from the local library Thumbs Up Wink

Always have a 'Plan B'

Aberdale Matt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:25 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Benly Reply with quote

Thanks Fizer,

I do have the Haynes manual - have stripped bike down and disconnected all the wiring and removed mudguards, headlight etc it appears from what I have found so far that the dealer who got the bike from the first owner didn't have ignition keys and rather than dismantle things simply cut all the ignition wires, only to then discover he didn't have enough room to reconnect - end result loads of additional white wires spliced in everywhere - no solder joints no crimped joints just twisted wires taped up.

The more I look the more cut wires I am coming across so I am trying to reconnect loom using correct coloured wires and proper joints - just hope I get some good connections.

Matt
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1