Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leather vs textile... summer jacket

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Leather vs textile... summer jacket Reply with quote

I currently have the one riding suit, an IXS 4-season, 2-piece textile one with removable lining. Even with its vents open, its absolutely baking me in this heat and I need something more lightweight.

Have been looking at mesh textile ones but the thought of a fruitbat versus tarmac situation wearing one of them really puts me off. Sure they can have armour in, but that still leaves plenty of skin ripe for shredding compared with more substantial gear. Is that fair comment?

How cool does a perforated leather jacket actually get you? Recommendations? (Ideally would be IXS so I could zip it to my kecks...)

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:48 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is England and it's never hot for long.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Leather vs textile... summer jacket Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Have been looking at mesh textile ones but the thought of a fruitbat versus tarmac situation wearing one of them really puts me off. Sure they can have armour in, but that still leaves plenty of skin ripe for shredding compared with more substantial gear. Is that fair comment?

It's the same material as your standard textile jacket (well usually a bit better actually), so why do you think a mesh jacket would wear through quicker than the one you use now? Confused

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Leather vs textile... summer jacket Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
why do you think a mesh jacket would wear through quicker than the one you use now? Confused

Errrrrrrrrrrrm... a preconceived fallacious assumption maybe? Dunno. Is it really the case that mesh can match standard textile for abrasion resistance, then?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:19 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Leather vs textile... summer jacket Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Errrrrrrrrrrrm... a preconceived fallacious assumption maybe? Dunno. Is it really the case that mesh can match standard textile for abrasion resistance, then?

What's your IXS jacket made of?
Is it the same as this IXS mesh jacket?
https://moto.ixs.com/en/shop/zephyros
It's probably the same stuff but yours is lined with a waterproof (but not abrasion resistant) material.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have leather summer jacket with some perforations and zip vents. Once on the move it flows enough air, to dry the sweat, but if it's 30+ degrees you're still warm. Base layers make a big difference to comfort, so er, what are you wearing....

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Leather vs textile... summer jacket Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
What's your IXS jacket made of?

This is my current jacket; so, 600D polyoxford, whatever that means. Actually the IXS mesh jacket I've been thinking about was this one, which apparently is indeed made of the same 600D polyoxford.

Hmm - so is it oversimplifying things to conclude that these two jackets should provide equivalent accident protection?

jnw010 wrote:
Base layers make a big difference to comfort, so er, what are you wearing....

Agreed: it's helped a lot since I switched to a 100% merino wool top.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Leather vs textile... summer jacket Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Actually the IXS mesh jacket I've been thinking about ... is indeed made of the same 600D polyoxford.

Hmm - so is it oversimplifying things to conclude that these two jackets should provide equivalent accident protection?

No over simplification there.
The same material = the same abrasion resistance.
Adding other materials with no abrasion resistance will make zero difference after the 1st 5cm of a slide.

The alternative is an Armour suit/skeleton (like MX'ers wear) and a Kevlar hoodie, but the problem with them is to stop them moving up your back in a slide...

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I bought Furygan Speed leather mesh jacket

It was freezengly cold when I was moving and I returned it back.

On that basis I'd avoid any mesh jackets. There are mesh jackets that have removable wind protection like this one, but we are not in the Death Valley, here is the UK. Means you will not need mesh.

Just buy any jacket with decent ventilation zips. Textile or leather.

Textile IMO are more comfty in extreme cold and hot weather.

Also ride faster Laughing

Seriously if you have vents and you crack open the top of your jacket zip I don't see any need for special summer only jacket in the UK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
On that basis I'd avoid any mesh jackets. ...we are not in the Death Valley, here is the UK. Means you will not need mesh.

I wear my mesh jacket whenever possible.
When it gets down to 17/18 degrees I'm selective about what goes underneath it and below that I have to decide whether to fit the liner or use a different jacket, but as soon as it's over 20 I'm grateful for it.
Obviously I wouldn't have it as my only jacket and need to carry a waterproof if there's a chance of rain, but It sees at least 4 months usage per year.
Although I rarely go far on motorways and probably wouldn't choose it over another jacket if I was doing a consistent high speed longer journey.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Ixon mesh-panelled jacket that has a really effective, removable water and wind proof liner, and a thermal liner. I actually think that with the liners in, it's warmer and more waterproof than my non-mesh textile jacket (which has admittedly seen a bit more use). It got used in torrential downpours in Europe last year and worked really well. It also worked really well with liners removed in the recent heatwave in Europe, although I did resort to t-shirt only on a couple of occasions.

I too like merino wool for base layers, but when it gets really hot, as recently, I just use a coolmax-style t-shirt under the jacket, which also dries quickly if you do get a bit sweaty.

I also have a leather jacket with stretch panels that help to keep you reasonably cool as long as you're moving, but then I melt in it when I stop, so it doesn't get much use in either extreme of temperatures. Probably shouldn't have bothered with the expense.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Val wrote:
On that basis I'd avoid any mesh jackets. ...we are not in the Death Valley, here is the UK. Means you will not need mesh.

I wear my mesh jacket whenever possible.
When it gets down to 17/18 degrees I'm selective about what goes underneath it and below that I have to decide whether to fit the liner or use a different jacket, but as soon as it's over 20 I'm grateful for it.
Obviously I wouldn't have it as my only jacket and need to carry a waterproof if there's a chance of rain, but It sees at least 4 months usage per year.
Although I rarely go far on motorways and probably wouldn't choose it over another jacket if I was doing a consistent high speed longer journey.

Wind chill makes 28 degrees on 50 mph to feels like 16 degrees. Me been old that is cold enough without mesh.

The point is all people are different unless the OP tries one there is no saying Very Happy

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Wind chill makes 28 degrees on 50 mph to feels like 16 degrees. Me been old that is cold enough without mesh.

I'm pretty old too; but with my advancing years sadly has come considerable layers of built-in thermal insulation; I'm sure I get much warmer now riding in summer than I did in my youth.

Quote:
The point is all people are different unless the OP tries one there is no saying

Well I reckon I'm going to bite the bullet and buy myself an IXS mesh textile jobbie, so watch this space! Cool

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 20:03 - 24 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

The point is all people are different unless the OP tries one there is no saying Very Happy

As you say, we've all got different preferences.
As for your wind-chill numbers, although they may be correct on bare skin, the mesh fabric slows the air notably and if you're wearing a t-shirt underneath (as most would) then that would slow the airspeed even more.
As I mentioned, I wouldn't really pick a mesh jacket for constant higher speeds but the usual country lane stuff where I'm rarely at 60 for more than a minute or so, the slight chill feels like a positive benefit. Especially if it comes after any town work.

Sniff9
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:35 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:

Should try Scotland it's even less

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
This. And I keep one armoured textile jacket with lining removed for the summer, and my best textile jacket with lining in for the other 11.5 months. Get a cheapo one with vents for summer? I've always found leather jackets uncomfortable on the neck and cuffs, and not particularly cool. They're ok for short rides, but once they've warmed up they tend to stay hot. IME.

Mudshark
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:52 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
This is England

this is the internet; anyway, it was 9C when I got home at 5:00pm on Thursday, living in Scotland I've never had reason to even think about mesh unless I've been in southern Europe, or any other reliably warm climate. when dy I wear leather, and I've yet to take the warm liner out!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1