BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best advice for first house purchase.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose to overlook that as being a typo rather than a display of general ignorance Laughing

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
^^ Oh, how true! (from personal experience).

Wot? Fisty Friday?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
^^ Oh, how true! (from personal experience).

Wot? Fisty Friday?

I do miss Fisty Friday Shocked
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:22 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the worst house in the best street. Location is everything. If you buy a mansion in a crap place, it will always be in a crap place. Apart from that, stretch yourself - in a year you will earn more and need not have worried but it's not so easy to sell/buy second time round. I have owned many properties but if I had spent more on the first few, the one I have now would be worth much, much more. Finally don't buy bikes, you will live in lesser houses ( mind you, you will die happier) Mr. Green !

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:24 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
No use but in our village 250 grand buys a four bed detached house
This is just over an hours drive to london

Where do you live?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:
andyscooter wrote:
No use but in our village 250 grand buys a four bed detached house
This is just over an hours drive to london

Where do you live?

I'll raise your 4 bedrooms, to 7 bedroom Victorian villas with servants quarters for under £200K!
Had to walk away from a few, they were simply too big!

This is in the Backofbeyondsville though!

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 09:13 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the obvious location thing which of course is really important, you also want to consider the cost of commuting a large distance when thinking about purchase price as paying an extra 20k on purchase to live nearer to where you want to be might save you more than that over the years when paying to travel to that place. If the money is in the house price then it's not 'lost' where that money in fuel/trains/planes/automobiles is effectively gone.

Also floor plan, it's incredibly easy and relatively cheap to change kitchens, bathrooms, heating systems and decor etc* but changing floor plans is incredibly disruptive, expensive and complex.

*providing the purchase price is cheap enough to leave money in the budget or you will add at least that value back onto the property.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
I'd avoid a new build. They're sh!t. They're also put together by morons in 90% of the ones I've seen, especially down south. You have the added problem of loosing value on it, as soon as its sold to you..

I agree with most of that apart from the last part.

We bought a new build, £215k house 5 years ago... it's now pushing £285k Rolling Eyes

Go figure

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
I'd avoid a new build. They're sh!t. They're also put together by morons in 90% of the ones I've seen, especially down south. You have the added problem of loosing value on it, as soon as its sold to you.

4 years in and ours still seems fairly well bolted together. Decent insulation. New electrics. Good windows. Not sure what you're on about re: losing money - ours had appreciated by 50k between us signing the docs and us moving in.

Thing to watch out for: many new-builds (and not so new builds) are "timber frame" - these are essentially constructed like a shed, with a bit more insulation, and then clad in brick on the outside. Avoid these, *especially* if you cannot buy detached. Sound travels in those things.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
buy the worst property in the best area, not the other way around

^ This

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:51 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
GSTEEL32 wrote:
I'd avoid a new build. They're sh!t. They're also put together by morons in 90% of the ones I've seen, especially down south. You have the added problem of loosing value on it, as soon as its sold to you..

We bought a new build, £215k house 5 years ago... it's now pushing £285k Rolling Eyes

Go figure

Those figures depend where you live. Houses in parts of Essex between 2013 and 2015 were up 30% ....

Housing is very much about timing I guess .....

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:53 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

Thing to watch out for: many new-builds (and not so new builds) are "timber frame" - these are essentially constructed like a shed, with a bit more insulation, and then clad in brick on the outside. Avoid these, *especially* if you cannot buy detached. Sound travels in those things.

Insulation works well in the winter, I just found it an absolute nightmare to get rid of excess heat in the summer. As a consequence the bl00dy place was a sauna during the hot months ....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
skatefreak wrote:

Go figure

Those figures depend where you live. Houses in parts of Essex between 2013 and 2015 were up 30% ....

Housing is very much about timing I guess .....

Pretty much. My dads old house in Wales was a new build, because they bought at virtually the bottom of the market they were the only ones on the street who didn't lose money. A lot of people conflict getting lucky with house price rises with a good buy.

Even in London which should be a slam dunk (with prices constantly rising), there are people buying shared ownership apartments, wiping out their deposit and unable to mortgage to remaining share. New builds are often hideously overpriced.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought at the top of our budget. For an old lady's house.

In a very good area though. We could have saved 60 k and got a fully done house with a conservatory, garage etc etc but it was around the corner from a giant council estate. I'd rather be the roughest on the street than the best.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:49 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
council estate

That's massively changed since I was growing up in the 80's....

Especially for people wanting to buy a house .....

Its become completely polarised. The half decent estates seem to have come through relatively unscathed, but there are some which have become a no-go area....

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
DrSnoosnoo wrote:
council estate

That's massively changed since I was growing up in the 80's....

Especially for people wanting to buy a house .....

Its become completely polarised. The half decent estates seem to have come through relatively unscathed, but there are some which have become a no-go area....

I definitely meant the latter. I'm no toff, either, being from Kirkholt in Rochdale I know they're not all bad people ...

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

Ohh errr... Now you have me worried!?

I have exactly one of these, semi detached though.

The noise issue is not a concern to be honest. Our previous neighbours had a child (to add to their brood) and we barely heard it apart from through windows over 3 years. Our pups are pretty yappy as well but their neighbours swear they don't notice it unless their in the garden. Thinking

So what should I be worried about then? Brick clad shed you say? Shocked

I am tempted to bag the appreciation, sell up and throw the difference into another property however buying in the same market I'm not going to get any more for my money and am somewhat concerned about buying an older house which may have 'problems'... :-\

Then there's 'sell up and move to oz' but no guarantee we'll make it back on the market when we get back if house prices carry on as they are Neutral

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:35 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check everything, while we got a total bargain on our place we did get shafted slightly in a few ways.

All the plumbing leaked. Both sinks the bath, the toilet, the taps in the sink didn't work either and the flush leaked. I sorted it all myself for ~£60, however I imagine it would have cost a fair bit to get a plumber in.

A couple of the radiators were leaking too.

Also the Boiler wasn't working, cost me £330 in the end.

A roof window was in pretty poor shape and needed replacing this cost £1050.

Same with a set of external doors that were lashed in. Another £900.

The loft was FULL of shit took a day to clear and would have taken a skip/van hire to shift had a neighbour not offered to shift some stuff.

We had a few aerial sockets in the house, none were connected and there were 2 aerials in the loft that looked like they had been kicked about for a laugh. I replaced the lot myself

Ours had a brand new kitchen It looked great however living in it was a different story it's cheap AF (obviously) The units aren't too bad just put in roughly the sink bends when you so much as look at the tap. We had to replace the lino after a couple of months because the pattern was peeling off Laughing

One of the joists in our living room has been half drilled through all the way along it to fit spotlights Laughing

There was an a silverfish infestation, I think we have sorted that now however the odd one still crops up.

Half the fence blew out after the first storm, fencing is expensive if you get someone in so I replaced the broken bits to get something solid. However the whole thing is just waiting to go. I'll replace it myself when I have the time. I should have realised that it was knackered and would need sorting.

We 'had' to spend our lots on things that I feel we shouldn't have. According to our paperwork the PO should have been responsible for clearing the loft and the boiler should have worked. I asked about claiming back some money and both the estate agent and our solicitor said it wasn't worth the hassle.

It's small potatoes when spending 6 figures, but should definitely be considered we were fortunate in the sense we had about £20k to fix stuff up and build a garage. Most of the money has been spent the house the great now, it's decorated well and has had decent money spent on it, however no garage...

Had our eyes been open a bit more it wouldn't have been a surprise. We have done plenty more to the place however this was just the stuff we didn't expect to do.

Most of it was our naivety, My missus had lived in her parents house all her life, as such everything worked and rarely did things need fixing/replacing. I had lived in the house I move from since I was 10 and it was a new build. I can't remember anything not working as it was maintained. We didn't expect the amount of work to 'do it up'. I reckon we easily spent £5k+ we hadn't planned/realised we needed too.

Find out if it was owned or rented, I'd certainly take a owned place over a rented. The people living in it don't give a shit and the owner will do things as cheaply as possible and bodge where possible.

One benefit of a place like this however is the neighbours will be glad of you. Our neighbours seem to love us because the place looks tidy now, according to them the renters living there before were really scummy there was rubbish everywhere and the place was a dump. To put it in perspective, I litter picked the garden and got 2.5 black sacks full of rubbish. I reckon our garden is 2/3rd the size of yours Pete.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:32 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a house for living in, don't be lulled into paying more for "potential".

They want to walk in and live there. From your post, both are on full time employment so have little time for fucking around doing up a project. Equally the ability to convert a big room into two smaller ones, add an en-suite or cram on an extension is of no help to them, they aren't property developers and they don't have time for pissing about with such things. As such, ban them from watching any form of property hunting daytime TV until it's bought.

Estate agents are used to dealing with people wanting to make money on their house. Even apparently perfectly normal people have some funny ideas. I've removed the bath from our bathroom and converted one of the bedrooms into a study/workroom. Peoples comments are usually along the lines of "People don't like to buy houses with no bath." or "You're knocking five grand off the value of the house without that bedroom.". My reply is that it's not for sale and it's me who is living there.

So if it needs re-decorating, a new boiler or new windows, budget for that and get someone in. If it needs the roof pulling down, jog on.

More advice. Land registry extracts on any you're seriously interested in. Cost £6 last time I did it. Check what is registered matches what you're getting (like my front drive/parking and road access is not on there so the estate agent was taking the piss avertising the house as having off street parking. It does but the council could put a stop to it at any time). Look for any oddities in the deeds. It can also give you some background on the property and an idea of how much the previous owner still owes on it.

If it's a house in a scheme. Look at the other houses in the street/scheme. Do they all still have the same door/roof/windows? Does yours? Are any of them still council owned? Have the council been fixing stuff?

Ex council houses can make superb first homes depending on when they were built and what proportion of them are now privately owned (look at the standard of the gardens). Many of the early 50's houses are really solid houses with big rooms.

Also have a look at the planning department. See what similar properties have been getting building warrants for. See what's planned for round about. See if neighbouring properties have been allowed conservatories/porches/sheds. Check there isn't going to be a wind farm in your back yard.

Also local crime maps are now available in many areas.

They planning on having kids? What school are they near?

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
angryjonny wrote:

Ohh errr... Now you have me worried!?

I have exactly one of these, semi detached though.

The noise issue is not a concern to be honest. Our previous neighbours had a child (to add to their brood) and we barely heard it apart from through windows over 3 years. Our pups are pretty yappy as well but their neighbours swear they don't notice it unless their in the garden. Thinking

So what should I be worried about then? Brick clad shed you say? Shocked

<Tef>
A bit posher than that. "Timber frame" suggests big oak beams in Elizabethan barns but, in the 21st century, means prefabricated panels, bolted together like a shed is. Think of how a shed is constructed, now imagine the panels sturdier and with a layer of insulation inside them, and that's basically the structure of your house. The brick on the outside is weatherproofing and, in the main, cosmetic.

It's becoming a more common way to build houses because it's quick. It's been common in the US for generations, but there they generally have more room so houses are frequently detached and spread out a bit from the neighbours. And it's less damp there in general too.

I had a "traditional" build end-terrace at the same time as a friend had a similarly-sized timber-frame semi. Almost no noise travelled between my house and next door, save the occasional thumping down the stairs against the party wall. In his house, you could hear every lyric in the music that the neighbours were playing.

My concerns about buying timber frame would be:
1. Noise travel between properties
2. Sturdiness (my friends house seemed to have a lot more creaks and squeaks than mine)
3. Perception - the world hasn't started to question timber-frame construction yet. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.
4. If perception becomes a problem then lenders may eventually be less willing to lend, like they currently are with post-war prefabs. Obviously this would make such houses harder to sell.
5. Fire risk. They're made of wood. I'm sure they meet "standards" but the same was believed about Grenfell. There's a lot of wood in "traditional" houses too, so yano.
6. Condensation - problems with such will be engineered out by someone who knows what they're doing.

All evidence cited is anecdotal and by no means scientifically rigorous.

In reality, they will probably become more and more common over the next couple of decades until anything other than a bespoke property is timber-framed. Most of my concerns, above, will become moot points and the only one that remains is noise-travel. In which case, buy detached.

Regardless of construction, I'm of the opinion that a new build with a 10 year NHBC warranty and new plumbing/electrics is a far better buy than something from the 70s which was still built on the cheap but is now getting old and is full of someone else's DIY.
</Tef>

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:27 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they going for a house or a flat?

If it's a flat, I'd recommend going for one in a local authority block - assuming the local authority is any good. Generally a good idea in places that have Labour run councils, seeing as they put money into the council housing stock and keep it maintained.

I've been in my ex-council flat for 7 years now. It's well maintained, the service charge is £100/month, and the major works charges have averaged out to about £50/month over that time - including a fairly big tart-up of the estate.

If the place needs a new kitchen or bathroom putting in, it's fairly easy to DIY for about a grand from B&Q - probably with your help. That will do them for 5 years until they can afford to buy the kitchen/bathroom they really want.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Generally a good idea in places that have Labour run councils, seeing as they put money into the council housing stock and keep it maintained.

So basically not Grenfell Towers Wink

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:41 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
Buy the worst house in the best street. Location is everything. If you buy a mansion in a crap place, it will always be in a crap place. Apart from that, stretch yourself - in a year you will earn more and need not have worried but it's not so easy to sell/buy second time round. I have owned many properties but if I had spent more on the first few, the one I have now would be worth much, much more. Finally don't buy bikes, you will live in lesser houses ( mind you, you will die happier) Mr. Green !

This.

We thought we'd be sensible and not borrow the full amount offered.

Retrospectively should have gone for more and a bigger place

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip is buy something anything, as it's going to get harder for 20's- 30's couples and impossible for self funded singles very soon. If you don't like it you can always rent it out. You might get lucky and buy in an up and coming area with good transport links, and watch your investment grow above the average rate.

Im sure all us jokers offering advice though, if we ain't in London town, alot of it is non applicable as London has its own unique market conditions and isn't comparible to where the rest of us live.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:55 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Have to ask, do they need to stay down Kent way, because I've seen a 4 bed marble arched entrance twin drive with a triple garage about 100 miles up for 245k Laughing

Where was this? Tovil ? Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3