Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another new guy, Mod 1 tomorrow!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:20 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Another new guy, Mod 1 tomorrow! Reply with quote

Hi, just a quick "Hello" from me. 46, from Preston.

I've been browsing for the last few months, did my CBT in February, and against ALL the advice on here, I bought a brand new 17 plate MT125 on March 2nd. Managed to put a nice scratch on the tank with a gatepost inside a week Shocked and wanted more power within a couple of months. Don't get me wrong, the bike is great fun, but when you are stuck behind someone at 50 on a 60mph limit road, not having the power to zip past them is bloody infuriating. I'm 20 stone so my fault, not the bikes Very Happy

I started my course for full access on Thursday (3 days ago)

We started off on a CBF500 ABS which I managed OK, then Friday was cancelled due to probs at the driving school. Saturday was good, more practicing on the 500 which I was feeling confident with, and then today we moved up to a CBF600, and I completely fecked it up Confused I just couldn't get the figure of 8, and kept putting my foot down. I was getting really wound up and getting to the stage of fecking it all off, so instructor suggested we go for a ride for a couple of hours to chill get used to it, then came back and tried again. 2 hours slow maneuver, swerve and emergency stop practice, and I think I've now got it. Tomorrow will tell.

Anyway, The point of this post? Just introducing myself, and to advise anyone just starting out, DON'T buy a £4 grand bike as your first 125. You WILL regret it Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Another new guy, Mod 1 tomorrow! Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:
Mod 1 tomorrow!

Don't fuck it up. Thumbs Up

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the tests last about 15-20 minutes so don't overthink it because by the time you've got into the swing of things it will all be over.

Plenty of daylight and dry roads this time of year so just take your time and you'll be fine.

Enjoy.

Oh, and nod and smile at Mr. I Never Get Anything Wrong Examiner.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:53 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need to do each part right once, and it sounds like you've already done that, so no problems.

If I had to guess, I'd expect that having got used to the 500 twin (why they put on that, I can't imagine) you're perhaps not giving the IL4 the revs it needs at slow speed.

Plenty of throttle, then slippy-slip the clutch, bit of back brake if you're that way inclined, don't forget your observations and bish bosh, done and dusted.

Mark_UK wrote:
DON'T buy a £4 grand bike as your first 125. You WILL regret it

"Informative".

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:57 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck.

Remember to check your mirrors a million times over before moving off after every exercise, oh and also under your armpit, between your legs and have a quick look in your jacket for DVSA reasons...

EDIT: you spent £4k on a new 125cc?! what the actual feck.

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:22 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you're perhaps not giving the IL4 the revs it needs at slow speed.

Exactly that. Also, it's the same point on the 8 every time. My trainer said I keep dropping my left arm, causing the clutch lever to pull in, so I've got too much clutch + not enough power = loss of movement. I can do this tho.

Re the 125 thing, I did read loads of posts saying buy a cheap used one, but I fell in love with the MT in the showroom. Very expensive lesson learned. It's one reason why I want to move on to a proper bike so quickly. I want to get as much back on the MT as I can.

Mirrors / Shoulder checks before every move Wink

Quote:
you spent £4k on a new 125cc?! what the actual feck.

Yep. I'm guessing I'm going to hear that a few more times Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Another new guy, Mod 1 tomorrow! Reply with quote

Sorry, this is a bit rambling and answers questions you haven't asked but here goes anyway Laughing

You'll soon get the hang of the bike enough for the tests.
Good luck.

Mark_UK wrote:
DON'T buy a £4 grand bike as your first 125. You WILL regret it Wink

Please tell us you didn't get finance as well.
The combination of the two would be 'pretty much' the ultimate in ignoring advice from experienced people...

Please don't spend £4k on your 1st big bike either.
£2-2.5k should get you something to use whilst your still learning (as you will be for the 1st year or so) and in a years time (+/-) you'll have an informed opinion of what you really need and want from a big bike, so you can then decide if you want to spend big or not.

I amazes me how many people decide they'll be happy on a 125 without even trying a big bike.
For most, the moment they do try one, they immediately realise how inadequate a 125 really is.
But no, they know a 125 is what they want and they're prepared to pay the silly 125 tax to prove it... Confused

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:17 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy and thanks for the reply. Nope, no finance. I came into a bit of ££ at the beginning of the year after being skint for most of my life and went a bit stupid. You are absolutely right. I thought as it would be used mainly for commuting I would be happy with a 125. Until I got on that 500 on Thursday Smile

My intention is that whether part ex or private sale, the MT is going to cover the cost and then some of whatever I get next. The lowest price for a used 2017 MT125 on Autotrader at the moment is £3799, so I figure even if I got £3.5k for it I can get a damn good proper bike to replace it. I'll be budgeting at £2.5k (assuming there is someone else prepared to spend silly money on a 125)

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we all learn from mistakes. And hopfully somone will be able to learn from yours.

Putting that to one side, Best of luck tomorrow.

Look forward reading your, "Yay, I passed, onto mod 2" post tomorrow.

Thumbs Up

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:
assuming there is someone else prepared to spend silly money on a 125

There certainly are.
Many of them are kids (and it's expected that they don't take advice, as they know everything already) but there are plenty of adults out there as well.

To be fair, a 125 isn't a bad bike if you're only commuting within a city. It's the moment they hit low traffic A roads that they really show their inadequacies.
Quite a few full licence riders in London also have a 125 and I can see that working, although personally I'd want a 250 instead...

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't Don't target fixate on the cones.

Best of British. Thumbs Up

BTW where are you taking the test?

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:11 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Don't Don't target fixate on the cones.

Best of British. Thumbs Up

Probably Kirkham.

OP, If you are, try not to get lost riding around the random building that's in the middle of the test pad*.

*Like I nearly did Embarassed

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:29 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Another new guy, Mod 1 tomorrow! Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Mark_UK wrote:
Mod 1 tomorrow!

Don't fuck it up. Thumbs Up

I fucked it up Brick Wall

Everything was bang on. No problems with the manual handling, slalom, 8 (proper buzzing with that one), slow ride, U-turn, controlled stop, emergency stop, and then on the swerve for some stupid reason I tried swerving round the speed detector rather than going through it, realised at last second and tried to correct it, and took out 2 cones. Seriously I could have cried. Hopefully be taking it again next Monday.

Quote:

Quote:
Probably Kirkham.

Yep Kirkham.

Next time........ Thumbs Up

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:58 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck there
Don't worry about it just retake it as soon as possible
I came into biking at 46 did my mod 1 took 2 attempts and 1 attempt on my mod 2
Forget about it what is done is done
Just go and nail next time
Let us know how it goes

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky buddy.

At least you can take away that apart from a silly mistake, you are fully able to pass the test. Confidence is half the battle with Mod 1, so you are almost there!

Keep us posted.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:59 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I had to rate that Funny.

You've done all the daft tricky stuff, that's an easy pass next time.

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:40 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the guy before me on my mod 1, and he did the same... Examiner was diving for cover against a chain link fence...

Shit happens, you know you can do it. A £15 ish assessment, that's all...

This thread really needs some Teff-onomic advice tho.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bite,
First red cones...32 on speedo... speedtrap,close throttle,look toward outside cone,make manoeuvre,....bring back in line and stop before blue cones.
It happens that quick. Don't break it down, let it flow.

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:30 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As a new member, you cannot yet rate posts

I would like to thank everyone for there positive encouragement but I'm not allowed lol. Thanks.

I will cane this bastard next time Wink

Edit... According to my test result sheet, one of the cones was doing 49kph, because I didn't pass between the speed trap thingys. Please don't bring Teflon Mike into this. He will destroy me for spending silly money on a 125 Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:37 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

zark wrote:
Teff-onomic

Mark_UK wrote:
Teflon Mike

Say his name a third time.

I dare you.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:

I would like to thank everyone for there positive encouragement but I'm not allowed lol. Thanks.

You'll fit in just fine here. Rolling Eyes

At least you failed on a simple fuck-up rather than a fundamental lack of ability - ace it next time! Thumbs Up

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:16 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated that test pad at Kirkham. Bad memories.

You'll get it next time (Y)

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:33 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

Wink Wink Wink
Mod 1 PASSED this morning

No faults. Proper happy now. Mod 2 booked for this Friday at Darwen. Any advice from anyone who has done the test there?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

Wink Wink Wink
Mod 1 PASSED this morning

No faults. Proper happy now. Mod 2 booked for this Friday at Darwen. Any advice from anyone who has done the test there?

Congratulations. Good feeling isn't it. Don't know the text centre. but My advice would be, just treat it like a nice 40 min ride. Don't panic and and enjoy it. You will be heading back to the test centre before yo know it.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:58 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant comment on Darwen, did mine in Blackpool. Mod 2 should be easy for you. Just ride safe and competent and don't give them a reason to fail you.

Good luck!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2