Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Passed my DA... so.. motorways...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:55 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Passed my DA... so.. motorways... Reply with quote

Whenever Ive seen people on bike come past me on the motorway, they always seem to be having a right old relaxy time of it.

I just got my first big bike: 92 zzr600 and I must admit that it was v buffeting and not at all relaxy...

If this normal or is it due to me being a fucking giant?

also, I love my bike. best 400 quid ive ever spent. VROOOM!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:00 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A loose grip on the bars will help, as would a taller screen, but that would cost a fair proportion of the price of the bike.

£400 for what I presume was an MOT'd and running ZZR? Jammy git. Thumbs Up

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:15 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
A loose grip on the bars will help, as would a taller screen, but that would cost a fair proportion of the price of the bike.

£400 for what I presume was an MOT'd and running ZZR? Jammy git. Thumbs Up

ah I will try that then. perhaps the joy/ exhilaration/ terror was a bit too much for me lol.

400 with an electrical issue... needed a new battery. mot just needed a rear set of break pads.

Ive been a bit fed up now for a while and this has just cheered me right up.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good buy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:38 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get used to it, I remember feeling like I was being knocked around by the wind when I first took a bike on the M5.

Over time your neck will become stronger and you'll relax more so those movements from the wind become far less severe. Just remember to watch for people who haven't seen you (as always but people go into autopilot on motorways).

Tom.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:39 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tense up, you'll put more inputs through the bars, which will cause the bike to weave, which will make you more tense, which will...

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:50 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the chat people. so, relax, get a taller shield, look out for people trying to kill me. sounds like a normal day.

found out (on the M1 near chesterfield) that my low fuel light doesn't work.... that was exciting.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very not bad buy.

I don't find the ZZR bad on the motorways, but probably because I'm just used to it more than you are. Grip with knees, hold yourself up with your core.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:12 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Very not bad buy.

I don't find the ZZR bad on the motorways, but probably because I'm just used to it more than you are. Grip with knees, hold yourself up with your core.

Think of England.

I suppose im just not used to the speed.

Thanks again for all the advice etc guys.

Im 6'7'' and 21 stone. zzr don't give a shit lol.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayup_Mi-Duck wrote:

Are you a giant?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:22 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Ayup_Mi-Duck wrote:

Are you a giant?!

I used to bully Hagrid at school.

it was hard to find a bike in my price range (bugger all) that would fit but the ZZR is just about bang on.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:31 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous. I looked for a ZZR for ages. Couldn't find a decent one in my price range.
I used to crap my pants at 70 though. On long straights (preferably empty) I'd hit 90 and 100. Then 70 feels like a mild breeze. At any rate, you do get used to it.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Passed my DA... so.. motorways... Reply with quote

Ayup_Mi-Duck wrote:
Whenever Ive seen people on bike come past me on the motorway, they always seem to be having a right old relaxy time of it.

I just got my first big bike: 92 zzr600 and I must admit that it was v buffeting and not at all relaxy...

If this normal or is it due to me being a fucking giant?

also, I love my bike. best 400 quid ive ever spent. VROOOM!

You shouldn't be getting buffeted in clean air no matter how big you are.

Are you following other vehicles? Square-backed vans like the transit will knock you all over the place if you follow too close.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:28 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a rather turbulent evening. Not windy but all over the shop. I'll give it another go and try to loosen up a bit.

Happy days.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. You'll get used to the wind in no time, either that, or just avoid the motorway, A and B roads a more fun.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll struggle to find a double bubble or tall screen for a D model (for a non stupid price).

You may already know but just incase you don't while many E model parts do fit, screens and fairings don't.

If you want PDF's of the manual and the Haynes PM me an email address and I'll send them over when I get a chance.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:16 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your tyrs, check your tyre pressures; the little double-zed is't a bike, even in its day that encouraged any-one to scrub rubber bead to bead; and squaring or shouldering in the tyre from not not beng so oft leaned will tend to make a tyre a bt squibbly, and motorways are HORRIBLE for making tyres squarer, and being rutted by the trucks; put the two together, and you have a recipe for a bike that will weave and wander and if you have a less confident or clued up newbie in charge of the plot, 'fighting' the bike, trying to keep it in an iron grip and ride it like an Audi, doing 88 in the outer lanes, trying to cut it in the rep-mobile races.. its an recipe for disaster.

Slow down; sit it out in the truck stack at the double-nickel; the frustration of feeling like you are going slow really is just perception, cos road is so wide, you have no near hedgerows on your left, no close oncoming traffic, and speed slows down to the relative speeds between vehicles traveling around 65ish and varying varying by little more than 10-15mph either way.

Dicing with the audi-cochs in the outside lanes is stress.. which is what we tend to use motorways to avod. Better the frustration of just 'feeling' lke you aren't gong so quick as you could, whilst you ACTUALLY make pretty good progress, and usually far better progress, even sitting t out i the truck-stack at 55, where that is pretty much your 'average' that poit-to-point on the A-roads, even with higher speed blasts twixt roundabouts on the duel-carriageway, you are lucky if you ca hold an average Much over 30.

Take your time, watch the road surface, make sure tyres are pumped off and round on both axis; mind that throttle, and dial in to the 'boring'..

WARNING: very common post DAS problem, is the rate bikes will accelerate, and squiting up an 'on' ramp onto the motorway, seeing big gap to merge into, doing a shoulder heck ad running into the back of a truck, cos that gap GONE in the blink of an eye, when a bike will accelerate from 60-120 in the blink of, and gaps that look large, get very small, very VERY quick!

So take it easy; look for the 'relaxed' lack of stress, don't ride above your limits or ability; ease off, chill out, don't go looking for the shit that makes stress, and let your perceptions get dialed in....

It WILL come... but remember, fresh off DAS you may have the licence i your pocket, but your learning is only just started! So grow your confidence, don't push your luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:52 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
You'll struggle to find a double bubble or tall screen for a D model (for a non stupid price).

You may already know but just incase you don't while many E model parts do fit, screens and fairings don't.

If you want PDF's of the manual and the Haynes PM me an email address and I'll send them over when I get a chance.

I might look into one of those add on things that clamps on to the screen... or I might just stop being a massive fanny. That is v kind of you. I will pm you my email with pleasure and thanks Smile

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayup_Mi-Duck wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

I might look into one of those add on things that clamps on to the screen... or I might just stop being a massive fanny. That is v kind of you. I will pm you my email with pleasure and thanks Smile

Damn it wr6133 You got that offer in before I did. I was searching my files for it last night. Now you're the helpful one!

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:57 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

It WILL come... but remember, fresh off DAS you may have the licence i your pocket, but your learning is only just started! So grow your confidence, don't push your luck.

Thanks mike. I think the tyres have a bit of a flat spot on the back to front axis. \_/ not U

Ill look into replacing it.

Thank you for the advice. you are always very expansive in your replies and the time you have taken is appreciated by this giant noob.

I am finding my feet and as you say, I wont be trying to run before I can walk.

Ta me duck.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:13 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayup_Mi-Duck wrote:
Ta me duck.

Good gawd! You sound like my Auntie Floss! You'll be asking me if I want a cup-a-tea, next; then forgetting what you have the tea-pot in your hand for as you ask me about each and every other relative, until you forget asking me if I wanted a cupa, ask again, then start hunting for the tea-pot... and have to pt it down to open a cupboard to look... close the cupboard, spot tea-pot, and ask "Oh! Why didn't I see t there, it was RIGHT in front of me.... Did I ask you if you wanted a cup of tea?.. Hows your Nan?".. etc etc etc.... we still swear her hubby's last words were "Have you made that tea yet, Duck?"

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayup_Mi-Duck wrote:
It was a rather turbulent evening.
I can't work out the physics of air. Some days it feels ultra windy but you look at the trees and they are motionless. Other times in can be fairly windy but feel much smoother.

I find that the rush of air through your helmet makes a big psychological difference. Riding with ear plugs (quieter) makes M/W journeys a lot more tolerable.

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:07 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
"Have you made that tea yet, Duck?"

Well if you are ever near Notts, Ill get a mashing... That's not self genital mutilation btw.

BAFFLER186: I will try that on my next go. it was a strange night. like it was about to storm. no trees blowing about :/ pinching some ear plugs from work now.

oh well.

im off to ask technical questions now as I don't think my radiator fan is coming on and it doesn't seem to be getting pat a quarter hotness on the hotnessometer.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these guys do a double bubble screen for your bike (not 100% certain though); https://www.skidmarx.co.uk/screen-headlight/double-bubble-screens/kawasaki/

I find the more I grip with my knees, the more my hands relax their grip. Maybe just me but try it... Laughing

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:54 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

WARNING: very common post DAS problem, is the rate bikes will accelerate, and squiting up an 'on' ramp onto the motorway, seeing big gap to merge into, doing a shoulder heck ad running into the back of a truck, cos that gap GONE in the blink of an eye, when a bike will accelerate from 60-120 in the blink of, and gaps that look large, get very small, very VERY quick!

... Pretty sure this is what happened when my very comfortable gap became a 'oh sh** gotta stop!' and my bike, my face, and the ground all made introductions....

Ear-plugs make a big difference to perceived wind. Makes for a more comfortable ride, too!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2