Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance weirdness

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Insurance weirdness Reply with quote

Query on behalf of my son, who's just received the following email from his car insurer:
Quote:
We have been advised of a possible incident involving your vehicle. As such a claim has been set up under your policy to investigate this.
Please contact us as soon as possible on the number above (please select the option for a new claim) to confirm your involvement and the incident circumstances. Even if you or your vehicle has not been involved, we would like to confirm this with you.
Please send us, unanswered, any correspondence you receive to do with the above claim. You must also tell us straight away of any impending prosecution by the Police Authorities.

He's a bit freaked out by this as he knows nothing about any such incident, and as far as he's aware he didn't even use the car on the day in question. He's not phoned them yet, and has just asked my advice before doing so. Any thoughts as to what this may be about, other than someone having maybe taken down an incorrect VIN?

There's no damage anywhere on the car. As he has a 'black-box' policy, hopeful the insurer's 'spy-in-the-cab' will back him up if it's working properly. Obviously he needs to find out WTF this is about; but mindful that he now already has something on his insurance record, it's entirely likely that whatever the outcome of this, this will screw him over come renewal time. Any thoughts much appreciated

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:01 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the email legit? It reads like bullshit to me. Weird use of language and insurers are sticklers for detail of which this email sorely lacks.

Also, they should be calling you with their queries in the first instance. If a 'claim has been set up' then why should you be selecting an option for a new claim when you call them?

Check the address it was sent from, the email must also contain at the very least the policy number and the policyholder's name. If not, bin it and move on.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben90 wrote:
Is the email legit? It reads like bullshit to me. Weird use of language and insurers are sticklers for detail of which this email sorely lacks.

Also, they should be calling you with their queries in the first instance. If a 'claim has been set up' then why should you be selecting an option for a new claim when you call them?

Check the address it was sent from, the email must also contain at the very least the policy number and the policyholder's name. If not, bin it and move on.

I mirror Bens scepticism. Odd use of language, but, I may be wrong as i'm prone to a lot of scepticism with a touch of paranoia sprinkled it.

I would have expected a phone call or a letter rather than an email.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:40 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email looks legit enough. I'd call the insurer using the number from their public site. Record the call, tell them that you're doing so.

Be absolutely adamant that this is a fraudulent claim made by a third party and that they are not to indemnify you for an incident that didn't happen.

For good measure, I'd instruct them to send you any correspondence about it that they receive, unanswered.

Lulz, but also srs. Get on top of this, don't let them admit guilt on kiddo's behalf just because it's cheaper for them than investigating a fraud.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I must admit - when I first saw the email last week I immediately assumed some form of phishing thing, especially as the actual body of the email was blank apart from the InsCo footer, and the text I quoted previously was actually in an attached RTF file, FFS! Son (well-trained!) didn't even open that as assumed it to be well dodgy. Other than that, there was just a cryptic subject line: "TP has reported a claim on the policy - [//A] - Email". Bizarre way to conduct business.

Anyway today he received a chasing-up voicemail from the insurer, asking for a call-back on the publicly-available number. At that point he opened the RTF file to see what was up. That does include the policyholder name, address and policy number. So we're now in no doubt that the contact is real, even if the "incident" isn't.

He'll certainly follow the BorgAdvice (thanks!) - I'll report back on the eventual outcome

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 28 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly very intriguing. If your son dint use the car on that day, Hopefully the spy box can prove it!?

I hope you manage to sort it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:33 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he definitely didn't use the car on the day in question, then his car could have been cloned, easily done in this day and age when "show plates" can be bought off of eBay

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother had something similar years ago (15'ish years ago...).
Apparently her small black fiesta reversed into a car in a car park in central London.

She disputed (we live in Cambridge), they ignored and tried to carry on putting the claim on her insurance until eventually she manged to supplied security footage from work of her car in the car park at the time of the accident.

Twats the lot of them.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow-up - we just phoned the insurer together.

Turns out that my son's car was supposedly involved in an accident about 100 miles away, in a town he's never even visited. The insurers were passed the name of the driver at fault (who is unknown to my son) and the reg number.

Insurer was very non-confrontational and seemed to be sympathetic, he said it was most likely caused by an incorrect VIN having been recorded ("happens all the time"); my son asked about the likelihood of cloning and the guy said that while it was certainly possible it's much less likely; he'd only ever come across a couple of instances ever before.

Anyway, on the plus side they are definitely going to rebut the claim, and if necessary will check the black box and even come to inspect the vehicle if required, and will keep us informed. Fortunately the policy renewal is many months away, so hopefully this should have gone away long before that.

Thanks all! Thumbs Up

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Follow-up - we just phoned the insurer together.

Turns out that my son's car was supposedly involved in an accident about 100 miles away, in a town he's never even visited. The insurers were passed the name of the driver at fault (who is unknown to my son) and the reg number.

Insurer was very non-confrontational and seemed to be sympathetic, he said it was most likely caused by an incorrect VIN having been recorded ("happens all the time"); my son asked about the likelihood of cloning and the guy said that while it was certainly possible it's much less likely; he'd only ever come across a couple of instances ever before.

Anyway, on the plus side they are definitely going to rebut the claim, and if necessary will check the black box and even come to inspect the vehicle if required, and will keep us informed. Fortunately the policy renewal is many months away, so hopefully this should have gone away long before that.

Thanks all! Thumbs Up

Glad to hear, Hopefully this all goes away will little fuss.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to close this down - insurers phoned back a while ago wanting my son to confirm his and the vehicle's whereabouts on the day in question, and his answer tallied with what they already knew from the black box; which was 100 miles away from the incident. Presumably the other party wasn't rolling over.

Anyway they phoned him back today to say that the matter had now been concluded to their satisfaction, and it was being expunged from my son's record. They wouldn't expand on that, but what's quite interesting is that evidently having the dreaded black box really helped my son in this case; I expect that eventually he'd have been exonerated but it could have been a lot more tricky.

I'm still not getting one myself though!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1