anyone ever had constant headache?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:11 - 01 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe g wrote:
thanks for all the advice, think i'm going to pick the amitryptiline up tomorrow and give it a go, can't take the pain anymore.

There's every chance that you'll suffer from some side effects when you start taking the Amitriptyline which could take as much as six to eight weeks to subside. Once the effects and side effects level out, you (and your GP) will have to decide whether it's worthwhile you continuing to take them.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to everything you'll have seen when reading up about Amitriptyline as people who get hit by side effects are much more vocal than the people who don't have any problems. The leaflet in the box will be just as scary as all the pages you've found where people are complaining about this that and the other. Have you ever read the leaflet that comes with paracetamol tablets as if you read too much into it then you'll be worried that you could die as a result of taking one of them. Wink

It might not cause you any trouble as different people react differently to different drugs. One persons side effect is another persons desired effect and as they get prescribed for a million and one different things, it's somewhat pot luck as to what effects you get. Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide to go along with the tension headache thing, just remember that the doctor did tell you you to relax.

It's one thing to relax with a G&T under a sunshade, to take more time out and be recreational, or to put your feet up, all the sort of things you think of when the word "relax" comes into play.

But its another thing to recognise where your tension is likely to be coming from (neck/shoulders usually the first culprit) and actually make a conscious effort to relax that specific area.

I realised several years ago that I was hunching my neck - despite thinking that I was a cool chilled out person who had learnt to react calmly to stressful situations - and that my shoulders were much closer to my ears than they needed to be Shocked I'd had a neck injury when falling off a bike years before, but nothing that needed immediate attention, and it just got worse and worse over the years till I was unconsciously hunching my shoulders all the time.

I ended up with a NSAID prescription from the doctor which I swiftly got addicted to (diclofenac Wub and then tramadol ), but I also went and had some physio who taught me to do head and neck hyperextensions, but also to learn to consciously drop my shoulders, i..e, put hands down by my sides and let my shoulders follow them, and I was quite shocked at how much my shoulders really did drop when I properly relaxed them.

Sometimes I still get headaches, and I try to do the relaxing exercises. Nowadays I might occasionally have to take paracetamol or ibuprofen for a couple of days, sometimes get a neck massage from a Chinesey lady, and do the relaxing exercises more often, rather than get re-addicted to a painkiller.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:18 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
sometimes get a neck massage from a Chinesey lady

Did you get your nails did too?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:00 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different ladies Wink Thumbs Up

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Sometimes I still get headaches...sometimes get a neck massage from a Chinesey lady

Just to clarify, you get a massage from a Chinese lady which sorts the problem out... So it's a massage with a happy ending.... They're the best type Cool

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A happy ending indeed. But not *that* sort of happy ending.

I've suggested my bloke goes round there to have her sort out his dodgy shoulder problem, cos I am dyiing to see if she offers him a happy ending. He's not ventured in there as yet.

(or at least, he's not actually told me he has... Thinking )

Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:13 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
chris-red wrote:

In the end she found out about a certain piercing on the little bit of your ear not a part of the main ear at the front, crap description I know Laughing Various people with the same symptoms said this 'cured' it. She got it done in January and too my knowledge hasn't had migraine since.

Would that be a daith piercing? I have that done about eight years ago and haven't had a severe headache/migraine since then. Could just be coincidence but a lot of people report that it helps.

Yeah thats the one, it sounds like total quackery but it seems to work!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly would be a massage with a happy ending then?

Does this mean your happy that whatever was giving you pain/tension or stiffness/lack of movement has now gone?

Or does it mean you'd be happy the massage had ended because the masseuse was an evil barbaric bastard that just enjoyed giving you terrible pain and discomfort (like a dentist does)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IME, causes of headaches and possible preventions:

Dehydration: water (obvs) but little and often rather than pints at a a time. Necking a large glass will speed up gastric emptying so you may pee it out before lots of it has been absorbed.

Caffeine: Withdrawal can cause headaches. You may be inadvertently starving yourself of it if you don't drink enough caffeine to what your body is used to.

Air/oxygen: can you sleep with the window and door open? If too stuffy, you can wake up with a headache.

Stress: Any new stress that has come about at the same time of the headaches?

Neurological: A nerve somewhere might be pinched. Do you have any localised pain anywhere, or do you feel the headache pain is radiating from somewhere else?

Eyes: Get an eye test ASAP, you might not notice that your eyesight is off, but the optometrist might be able to help.

Virus: Some viruses can cause you to exhibit only one symptom, such as a headache. But it's unusual to last more than a couple of weeks.

Foods: Some foods are known to cause headaches (chocolate, cheese for example). Some intolerances can come out of the blue.

If it were me, I'd get as far as you can with the GP whilst getting your eyes checked as well. If nothing else works, maybe go to a private homeopathy practitioner and see what they can suggest.

This may sound like hocus-pocus to you, but 4 members of my extended family have had abdominal pains and/or skin conditions (blistering) for years. They all went to the same Homeopath and 3 months later they no longer have the symptoms. Even if it is psychological, it has had a massive positive effect on people that were initially sceptical about alternative medicine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Try googling it Laughing

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

Try googling it Laughing

Probably best not to do it at work though...

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I've suggested my bloke goes round there to have her sort out his dodgy shoulder problem, cos I am dyiing to see if she offers him a happy ending. He's not ventured in there as yet.
(or at least, he's not actually told me he has... Thinking )
Laughing

If you even think he may be making that visit then you need to up your effort in making sure he gets enough happy endings at home!

PS. You're welcome Hellcats Bloke Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
you need to up your effort in making sure he gets enough happy endings at home!

PS. You're welcome Hellcats Bloke Laughing

Laughing Laughing I must make more of an effort Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2