Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scottish Wikipedia

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:01 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Scottish Wikipedia Reply with quote

https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Enfield_Bullet

Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did walloper write that?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:30 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah deed a wee bit onside reedin that.

It's not a language, it's a debased gutter dialect. Sick

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Mother-Of-God.jpg

Is this taught at school?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ah deed a wee bit onside reedin that.

It's not a language, it's a debased gutter dialect. Sick

I believe that Scot's is evolved from a dialect of middle English.

Didn't read like Irvine Welsh though. ☹
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:39 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reads like no Scots accent/dialect I've ever seen. It reads like Groundskeeper Willy from the Simpsons speaks, so a bad American approximation of a Scots accent.

An ah'd ken weel fit ahm speirin' aboot, ahm fae tcheuchter country.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isn't 'Scots' when in written form all just an approximation of the accent anyway? So there can be no 'correct' form, as the Scots accent, like English, varies from place to place, and isn't derived from a single original, but is merely a bastardised form of English - possibly with influences from Gaelic. So really it should be termed 'Scots English', much as we might say 'American', or 'Americanised' English for the Yanks.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
But isn't 'Scots' when in written form all just an approximation of the accent anyway?

That is not my understanding of it. I thought it was a distinct dialect that had evolved from an earlier form of the English that we speak.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
But isn't 'Scots' when in written form all just an approximation of the accent anyway?

I thought it was a distinct dialect that had evolved from an earlier form of the English that we speak.

I fail to see where yours and my statements disagree Confused
A dialect is merely a way of speaking, an accent, perhaps where some words have been altered to reflect it. It does not normally transfer into writing, otherwise, half this forum would have difficulty in understanding the posts of the other half.

Answer me this: If you are Scottish, and you write a letter to a Scottish friend or relation, or even a business letter to a Scottish company for e.g., do you write it as you would speak it?

The reason I ask this, is that on the Fazer forum, there is a Scottish chap who often drops into writing as he would speak. He is the only one on that forum, apart from the odd slip, or if someone wants to emphasise some peculiarly Scottish trait, who does this (he is rabidly pro-Scottish independence). I can't help but think that on an English language forum, it's merely poor form, old chap.

I think we should have a "dialects week" on BCF, where everyone has to spell as if they were speaking in their actual accent - could be, er, interesting Laughing (obviously, Teflon Mike is banned for that week).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the accent when its a girl from the Western Isles Wub

Any other Scottish accent sounds like someone trying to bring up phlegm.

Obviously our ancestors were sadly lacking when they engaged in a little social cleansing after Culloden.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I think we should have a "dialects week" on BCF, where everyone has to spell as if they were speaking in their actual accent - could be, er, interesting Laughing

No fanks.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Any other Scottish accent sounds like someone trying to bring up phlegm.

Think of it as a lubricant for all those harsh, Germanic 'ch' sounds.

Actually, the Germans of course have their own regional variations - some pronounce 'ch' more as a softer 'sh'.

Quote:
Obviously our ancestors were sadly lacking when they engaged in a little social cleansing after Culloden.

Pass the popcorn

M.C wrote:
No fanks.

Aintcha got no sense ov adventcha, geeza? Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:52 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots is a written dialect, has been for a long time.

Here's a Burns manuscript, in Scots, from the late 18th century.
https://www.electricscotland.com/familytree/frank/images/RBwean1008.jpg

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Pass the popcorn

Not even a nibble Crying or Very sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurred to me that folk like Burns had been writing that way a long time ago. But where did he get it from? Has it ever been the customary way to write in Scotland? are you all writing like this up there?! Is it/has it ever been taught in schools as a correct way to write? How does someone know when it is done incorrectly?

It seems that a proper dictionary wasn't compiled until 1976:

https://www.scotsdictionaries.org.uk/Publications/conciseScotsDictionary.html

Question

It sometimes seems to be referred to as a 'language', but surely it can't be in it's own right, as it is mostly clearly derived from English words or usage?

Polarbear wrote:

chickenstrip wrote:
Pass the popcorn

Not even a nibble Crying or Very sad

Give them a chance, they have to translate what we're saying Shifty

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:14 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a non Scot doing an impression of a Glasweigan. Not unlike Simon Pegg in the new star trek movies.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
...'Scots' .... is merely a bastardised form of English

People from Scotland will be very interested to hear you telling them they're bastardised English people really....... (that is what you're saying, isn't it?? Laughing )
Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
...'Scots' .... is merely a bastardised form of English

People from Scotland will be very interested to hear you telling them they're bastardised English people really....... (that is what you're saying, isn't it?? Laughing )
Wink

No Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:34 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Sounds like a non Scot doing an impression of a Glasweigan. Not unlike Simon Pegg in the new star trek movies.

He's deid tae me.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 01 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Did walloper write that?

Walloper writes more accurate Scozzese than that.

I liked the side link called "Gaun on the nou" Laughing

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiskeypedia wrote:
The Royal Enfield Bullet is a British

Burns.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1