Key Snapped Off in Petrol Tank

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
In that second pic is that a piece of genuine Clarice Cliffe being used as a key tray? Shocked

Laughing no it's just Denby

So, this bike is not mine. It is sat in my back garden, acquaintance did a CBT last year, rode solo once, panicked and never rode it again.

They first asked a friend of mine to help out, cos it sat under cover for months and "wouldn't run". As i live nearer, mutual friend asked me to take a look instead. Basically the brakes were stuck on, and the battery was flat.

I got it going for them, pumped air in the tyres and lubed the chain, and a few months later they got in touch to say that their internship was up, they had to move out of accommodation and could I have it in my garden, hand't been ridden since I last looked at it.

So there it is. Tax'd not sornd, insured, due an MOT.

I'm considering offering them some money for it, but what would be a fair price? 50 quid, 100 quid?

2nd hand ones are online for around 500, and I'd need to buy a new swing arm then fit it, and get it through an MOT.

I feel like I'd be doing them a favour by buying it. Confused But it is something to do in my back garden, another bike to tinker with, and there are not many bikes that actually fit in there due to the stupid narrow passageway.... Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is astonishing though that nearly every part of the average Chinese motorcycle appears to be made from sub-standard materials.

I once owned a JingCheng Dax-clone for about 8 years - it only covered a few hundred miles and was shed stored. The chrome peeled off the mudguards in spite of being undersealed by me from new, The rubber indicator stems perished, as did the fuel pipe, plastics became brittle and the kick-start seal leaked and forks were beginning to rust through the 'hard' chrome.

This was basically only through storage..I hate to think what it would have like if I'd actually used it..

Price - yep you'd be doing them a favour at 100 quid I think. It might fetch more with an MOT. But if it was me I'd put the 100 towards something Japanese.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahem Embarassed

I've agreed to buy it for £100.

------

I've disconnected the battery, stupid alarm.

I wonder how easy a task it would be to remove the alarm system?

I suspect it's probably better made than the rest of the bike, and would be a royal pain in the backside to remove?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.. MOT then pass it on. If you make few quid then invest in something more durable maybe..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2