BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Island Hopper

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mackerg4
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:55 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Island Hopper Reply with quote

Hi, I'm Bob. I used to ride bikes when I was young. Then in the late 1980s me and the wife took a year off and toured Europe on a bike. We don't own a bike now but hire one on hols from time-to-time.

In my mid sixties now and planning to retire next year. We live in the U.K. But own an apartment on the island of Rhodes in Greece.

The plan is, when we retire, to buy a bike for island hopping with the start point always being Rhodes (which is also where we intend to buy and register the machine). We want something we can take away for extended periods and hoik it on and off ferries. Also to get us around the islands and probably the mainland.

I would imagine that distances will be relatively short. Enough to get us around when we reach each destination. Given that Crete is the largest Greek island and end-to-end it's 160 miles then average ride times are probably going to be an hour or two. Little or no motorway riding.

The machine will need a bit of grunt because our combined weight is about 150 kilos, plus there will be quite a bit of luggage and there will be hills; some very steep. Roads will be mainly good but the odd unmetalled surface is sure to come along however we won't be planning anything off-road.

We'll also need a secure top box and panniers and the wife will want a comfy seat and riding position. Don't know if it makes a difference but I'm 6ft 2in.

I'm completely out of touch with what it is currently available in the motorcycle market so any help or recommendations in selecting a suitable mount will be very much appreciated.

(Budget is flexible but thinking probably around £5k if that's reasonable).

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:48 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Honda NC750X.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:55 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Suzuki V-Strom 1000. A big lazy V-twin that's comfy and great fun to ride. Around 100bhp, loads of torque, decent suspension and brakes. Mine came with Suzuki panniers and a Givi top box.
A lot of my riding is with the wife on the back and she took to it straight away - big comfy passenger seat. It's not particularly fast by modern standards but the handling is superb and if the notion takes you it is great fun on a twisty road.
Another thing it's got going for it is it's relatively cheap compared to the competition.

Suzuki also do a 650 version though I've never tried it but they are well regarded.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your island hopping - it sounds great.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are bikes cheaper to buy here or in Greece?
Are you looking to buy new, new'ish or just easily repairable (older but with less electronics)?
Will you be working on it, or getting someone locally to work on it?

Mackerg4
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:33 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Greece now and have asked a friend who is in the motor trade to get me a price for the Honda 750 so that I can make a comparison. He knows the local Honda dealer. The paperwork is certainly simpler if we buy and register the bike in Greece. I know importing can be complicated and expensive but I expect the bike will be cheaper at home. All options are still open on where we make the purchase though.

We thought we'd buy new. Probably keep it here for the duration. For repairs servicing, warranty etc. there is a Honda dealer on the island. Also my friend (see above) has a repair garage for bikes, cars machinery . . . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Hardly ticks the box for "needs a bit of grunt".

50 bhp and 50 lb-ft is not something I would want to tour on two up with full luggage.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't buy new if there's a chance of getting a good condition older bike.
Purely because if it ever breaks down while I'm away, I have pretty much zero chance of fixing any electrical fault.
But that's just my personal hate (and weakness)...

If the Honda network has the best coverage across the areas you'll be travelling in, then Honda should be top of the 'maybe' list.
If one (or all) of Kawa/Yam/Suzuki etc has a similar network the they should be on the list as well.
If anyone has a poor or non-existent network then forget them, as it's an awful experience being stuck in some 1 horse towns waiting stupid long for a part that any decent network would get in 48 hours.

£5k isn't much of a budget for a new bike.
What has your Honda mate suggested?

Personally I'd be looking at an adventure'ish bike (without going the full monty) like maybe an NC750, Versys 650, Strom650 or maybe a Yam MT07/MT03 Tracer (I suspect a CB500 would be adequate as well).
OK, I'd be looking at the 10 year old equivalents in the 500-750cc range....

I've only been to Greece a couple of times and remember the roads being either very rough or sand polished glass.
Add in a pillion, some luggage etc and I'd be a very gentle (slow) rider out there, so all of these should be more than adequate for you.
However, obviously you'd need to give them a try before committing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:27 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Hardly ticks the box for "needs a bit of grunt".

50 bhp and 50 lb-ft is not something I would want to tour on two up with full luggage.

More than enough for on Greek islands with an absolute maximum possible days riding of 160 miles.

Less likely to become an epic fail bike with two pensioners on board negitiating potholes, bump and patches of unmetalled road and ferry ramps of dubious quality. It should be light, easy and comfortable and has at least a slight hint of offroad ability.

"Grunt" is relative. I'd take my enfield bullet for that job and it only has 15bhp (optimistically). It was my vehicle of choice for going out to the Outer Hebrides this summer, two up with a trailer on. Could've taken a CB500 or a VFR750, chose not to.

Mackerg4
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:40 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been excellent information and guidance. I now have a ballpark to look within. As I said I was completely out of touch.

The budget is flexible, could be pushed to 10k if that's what's needed to get the right machine.

Bikes on this island tend to be either 125 or fewer ccs or big sports bikes. The type of machine we're talking about here is seldom seen unless it is being ridden by tourists visiting the island (usually on their BMW tourers). So the chance of picking up a good second hand machine of the type we're talking about here are, I think, pretty slim.

I've done quite a bit of car driving in Greece of late and I think the roads are not as difficult as they once were (due mainly to EC funded improvements over the last few years).

I fully appreciate your sensible comments about dealer networks and I will do my resaearch on that.

I don't know the Honda dealer. The very useful mate I have has a fleet of hire cars and a garage to support them (and other vehicles, bikes, farm machinery etc). He knows the Honda dealer and is calling him today to get a price for the Honda NC750X so that I can compare it to UK prices.

I have a lot of research to do but I have time and, thanks to your responses, at least I know where to start now.

Thanks to Alpineandy and to all who took the time to comment. It's very much appreciated.

---------
N.B. Previously, thirty odd years ago, we toured Europe on a 400cc Honda Superdream, 43bhp. 7,000+ miles, never missed a beat. The new Honda's 54bhp I think would be more than adequate for our needs this time around.
--------

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mackerg4 wrote:
Bikes on this island tend to be either 125 or fewer ccs or big sports bikes. The type of machine we're talking about here is seldom seen unless it is being ridden by tourists visiting the island (usually on their BMW tourers). So the chance of picking up a good second hand machine of the type we're talking about here are, I think, pretty slim.

Cost-wise it may be better to have a look on the mainland.
I really appreciate it's a long way from Rhodes but it could still be cheaper to get a nearly new one from there, than a new one (from wherever).

Whatever you get really interested in, don't buy without a test ride.

You're welcome.
Good luck.

Mackerg4
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:57 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price for the NC750X came in at 8590 euros so just over £7500 and includes all paperwork registration and 12 months tax and insurance, delivered. Not bad I thought.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems steep when you can pick up a 2 year old, very low miles example here for under £5k.

Mackerg4
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:15 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was to comparison only. UK price is, I think, £6.5k
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1