Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Weights / Benches etc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:06 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Weights / Benches etc Reply with quote

Hi All.

The lad has got all body concious all of a sudden at the age of 15.
Must be a girl or a boy or something.

About a month ago he said he wanted to start training and we have for the last 4 weeks been doing a small program 3 days a week.
This consisted of Squats/pull ups (aided), leg raises, push ups, sit up and dips.

to be fair the lad is trying hard each week and i promised if he kept it up that we would get a bench and some weights.

having a quick look on Amazon and don't know what to trust.
the cheap do everything units seem a bit low quality.

id rather spend on something simple but of quality.

a bar and weights is a simple thing
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TNP-Accessories-Barbell-Weights-60KG/dp/B00VD3DTBA/ref=pd_bxgy_200_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MP013EHVVKHEWPD4RZH3

but its benches...
worth noting that both the lad and i are not small.
both 6ft and 14+ stone.
so the bench needs to be able to support us and the weights.

this looks like a good bet
https://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Sports-Premium-Fitness-Workout/dp/B00D1W48IO/ref=sr_1_73?ie=UTF8&qid=1499094224&sr=8-73&keywords=weights+bench+with+weights

its not a vast sum of money but a yay or nay from someone with more experiences than me would be appreciated.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

look on gumtree/ ebay etc loads of quality brand secondhand stuff.

Prices are staying quite high as its fashionable to keep in shape now.

Ive always liked "York" cast iron weights
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:45 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice I can give is to tell him to keep up with the body weight training, push ups, squats, pull ups etc and possibly take up something like mauy thai which will help with any body issues and boost confidence.

He's to young to be lifting weights IMO, he's got plenty of time to pump iron when he hits his late teens early twenties.

Just to add, for a good bench check out somewhere like power house or fitness super store.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant comment on simple weights etc... but I replaced my gym membership with this...

https://www.sweatband.com/vfit-herculean-cobra-lay-flat-multi-gym.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw1ufKBRDYrqLzrY3dy88BEiQAPI_r4dNBQZxYLr6KiGr8xSNSGGIBlzNMup7LaJ7HyMRXY6IaAhjC8P8HAQ

And it's been great. Easy to use - and the bench folds away when not in use.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of agree with the above, as teens can fuck themselves up by going too hard too soon with weights and lifting. If he's sensible I'd just start with some dumbbells and maybe fix some hand bars into the ceiling joists for pull ups etc.

Proper serious weight training and supporting diets should IMO start in your early 20's and your peak body condition should be present around the end of your 20's>.

If it's definition and fitness he wants more than size and shape, then nothing beats press ups, pull ups, sit ups, and hyperextensions done little and often. At the gym I'd probably start with rowing machines and a machine shoulder press first too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:48 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensi5446 wrote:
Best advice I can give is to tell him to keep up with the body weight training, push ups, squats, pull ups etc and possibly take up something like mauy thai which will help with any body issues and boost confidence.

He's to young to be lifting weights IMO, he's got plenty of time to pump iron when he hits his late teens early twenties.

Just to add, for a good bench check out somewhere like power house or fitness super store.

Point taken.
I will stop and reconsider before doing anything else.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:50 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Cant comment on simple weights etc... but I replaced my gym membership with this...

https://www.sweatband.com/vfit-herculean-cobra-lay-flat-multi-gym.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw1ufKBRDYrqLzrY3dy88BEiQAPI_r4dNBQZxYLr6KiGr8xSNSGGIBlzNMup7LaJ7HyMRXY6IaAhjC8P8HAQ

And it's been great. Easy to use - and the bench folds away when not in use.

Cheers for the heads up.
will keep a book mark of that to consider.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he does get in to weight training, a safe and effective home gym should contain a power cage, bench and a barbell. Anything else is optional.

Very versatile equipment and the cage is pretty much essential if he wishes to squat/bench press on his own, the spotter bars make failing a rep safe... Youtube is full of kids messing up on a squat or bench press with a heavy bar and stapling themselves to the floor or being trapped under the bar.

As for programme, 5x5 stronglifts is far from perfect but it is a good start.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:45 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just say a cheap gym subscription if possible.

All equipment is then more top of the range, you are in a better environment from a safety aspect. And a cheap subscription can be £20/£25 per month which is a lot less to lose than investing in a bunch of gear in one hit.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already mentioned, 15 seems a bit young.
I thought it was because the body/bone structure is still developing, but I may be talking rubbish.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still keen Colin, I'd suggest something like this for the rack and bench - beginner friendly and not overly expensive, still loads better than a normal bench or squat stands.

Rack (a few companies sell this with their own badges, all around £80):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIRAFIT-Adjustable-Squat-Rack-Dip-Stand-Barbell-Weight-Gym-Bench-Power-Lifting-/331717188972?epid=1742246376&hash=item4d3be29d6c:g:gHQAAOSwA29Y44r6

Bench (you don't want the bar supports on the bench, pick whatever reviews well in your budget, this is just an example but should be fine (250 kg capacity)):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIRAFIT-Fully-Adjustable-Folding-Gym-Weight-Bench-Flat-Incline-Dumbbell-Lifting/351625078304?rt=nc&_soffid=5019882608&_soffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795

Reasons:
> Can be used for squats and bench press - the spotter bars provide a level of "backup" should your lad drop the bar, get stuck during a squat or be unable to press the bar off his chest. Smaller and cheaper than a power rack.
> Can be used for dips, although you'd need to make it narrower (it is adjustable) if you had been using it for bench or squats. >Smaller and cheaper than a power cage whilst still offering most of the benefits over a conventional bench with bar support.

Note:
You'll want a longer bar to work with the supports being positioned outside of your hands (rather than between them like most cheap bench press outfits). A normal argos etc bar is 5 ft, you'd need 6 or 7 foot. Best bet is to buy a 7ft bar and plates used on gumtree. Two types of bar/plate exist, standard 1 inch and olympic 2 inch - refers to the size of the hole in the plate - olympic bars (thicker) are usually 7ft. Either is fine but you are more likely to find a used 7ft olympic set.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 does seem a bit young but if he's 6ft and 14 stone then he's got weight to lose.

I'd always recommend decent 2nd hand stuff over any cheapy new stuff. When I was 15 everyone was aware of lifting too much or too hard could stunt your growth.

I'd say he should go for high reps low weight and more superset stuff.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:42 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to be moving in the next month or two (if the buyer stops cocking about)
So we have decided to continue with the current stuff 3 times a week and re-asses when we are settled in the new place.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a JD Gym near by? Cheapest gym membership I found and is well stocked, benches galore. Generally only one of each machine, resistance, treadmills, bikes etc excluded. Plus classes are included in the fee.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:58 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend some sessions with a decent trainer, particularly when starting off.

It's easy to work the big muscles that look good. I did this a lot in my late teens/early 20s, and it worked nicely. Then I dislocated my shoulder surfing, because whilst I had nice big biceps, the tiny little muscles in my shoulder weren't getting developed at all.

Now I'm older and don't care so much, so I have much smaller arms, but my shoulders don't pop out when I swim in the sea. That's from seeing a personal trainer who knows shoulders well. Surprising how much a 2kg weight can hurt if you use it right.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:46 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a similar model rack to the one DrDonnyBrago posted and happy enough with it.

I also made a more substantial 'cage' that did the job well from spare wood/metal - total cost was about £2 for some more screws.

I'd definitely go second hand for most stuff - the weights especially, don't really have much to go wrong with them, being lumps of metal, so no point buying new.

I ever actually made a bit of money judiciously trading up weights to an Olympic set, buying carefully and selling with better descriptions etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1