Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Today I did do.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Today I did do. Reply with quote

After around 24 years of being on bikes and 4 years of being an instructor I finally pulled my finger out and became a fully licenced cager.

Passed my practical car test this morning with 2 driver faults. Got insurance as a second driver on the wifes car and we went for a drive. No kittens were killed and even the wife was proud.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught trying to filter in 3...2...1...

Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Smile

Very possibly. I caught myself looking down the filter zone yesterday on my final lesson while in traffic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had lessons two years ago, just so I could drive a hire car in N.Z

only drove on the south island, programmed sat nav, it said something along the lines of go straight and in 200kilometers turn right, and I saw about 20 cars and a tractor

I had to give way to a train on a bridge, and then again on a roundabout.

Never driven in the UK except with an instructor. it just doesn't feel safe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Smile

When I was doing my driving lessons, the instructor slammed on the brakes once when I was going to go for a gap to get onto a roundabout. "You wouldn't have made that" he said. Feckin XR2i, how slow are these things?! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time. Cool

During my 1st driving lesson Terry offered me a Benson & Hedges as I was doing about 50mph....saved me getting mine out. Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Today I did do. Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
After around 24 years of being on bikes I finally became a fully licenced cager..

Pinky crosses over to the dark side Mad Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars are spectacularly shit, I (fairly) recently bought my first rage cage and I'm already considering selling it Laughing Handy (having a licence) for work, where at least you're being paid to sit in traffic.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes were strange to me to begin with having been driving for around 10 years before.

Even now I get in the car after riding the bike and think something is wrong because of the lack of power (same going from the car to a van tbh).

Anyway.... well done Thumbs Up , welcome to the world of cages with benefits Rolling Eyes such as arriving dry, having the heaters up full blast if you like, windscreen wipers, having a sip of your coffee at the lights, listening to your favourite music...... while you're stuck in traffic watching all the bikes filter to the front, leaving 20 minutes earlier because you know you're going to get stuck in traffic, knowing that the only thing you're beating at the lights is the clutch etc etc etc

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I can't award a " Thumbs Up cool" for someone passing their driving test. Like I want another feckin cage on the road Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I had to give way to a train on a bridge, and then again on a roundabout.

Trains shouldn't be using roundabouts, I think they were lost

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Sorry, but I can't award a " Thumbs Up cool" for someone passing their driving test. Like I want another feckin cage on the road Laughing

Technically the award should be given, The cage was already on the road as its the wifes car. But now it has a biker driving it at times.

Needed to get it done, I am now carrying several K worth of camera equipment around with me on the bike when I do shoots. All in a bag on my back. At least now the gear is better protected.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Technically the award should be given, The cage was already on the road as its the wifes car. But now it has a biker driving it at times.

I could only give the award if it meant the car was on the road less overall, but more likely to be more?

Sorry, but I can't go awarding karma willy-nilly, it has to be right Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a van driver, an occasional car driver and an even more occasional bike rider these days.

Tbh the lack of power thing, I think alot of that is modern drive by wire vehicles the way they are mapped and emissions and fuel efficiency considerations. People even say drive by wire bikes are less responsive than pre catalyst carbed bikes?

I actually get most satisfaction of all from driving big empty diesel vans/trucks that seem to keep pulling nice and steadily in top gear, up hills all the way to the speed limiter.

Riding small two stroke bikes is like playing with an elastic band, your either going forwards or backwards and constantly tapping up and down gears all the time. No way could I ride a long touring stint on such a bike these days, I'd much rather drive a big power HGV or an empty diesel freight train.

Oh and thick black diesel smoke doesn't make your clothes stink like Silkolene fully synthetic 2T does either.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

only drove on the south island, programmed sat nav, it said something along the lines of go straight and in 200kilometers turn right, and I saw about 20 cars and a tractor

I drove round that island for 3 weeks, never really needed nav. During one long journey from Queenstown to Milford
Sound I went a full two and a half hours driving before I saw another car in motion. I'd love to live there.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

as someone who passed last year

I'm ashamed to say ive since sold my bikes as its hassle getting the gear on every time I went out faffing about getting the bike out the garage then having to change keys as the bike I brought the key for is the wrong one

I now hop in the car and gone

still miss the bike fro pleasure though

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:43 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'm a van driver, an occasional car driver and an even more occasional bike rider these days.

Tbh the lack of power thing, I think alot of that is modern drive by wire vehicles the way they are mapped and emissions and fuel efficiency considerations. People even say drive by wire bikes are less responsive than pre catalyst carbed bikes?

I actually get most satisfaction of all from driving big empty diesel vans/trucks that seem to keep pulling nice and steadily in top gear, up hills all the way to the speed limiter.

Riding small two stroke bikes is like playing with an elastic band, your either going forwards or backwards and constantly tapping up and down gears all the time. No way could I ride a long touring stint on such a bike these days, I'd much rather drive a big power HGV or an empty diesel freight train.

Oh and thick black diesel smoke doesn't make your clothes stink like Silkolene fully synthetic 2T does either.

The work van has lots of torque, all the petrol cars I've driven have been been a bit gutless (even a 2.0L Mondeo was disappointing). I dunno I'd need to drive some performance cars to truly decide if cars are dull, where's arry with his Porsche Wub

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyday cars certainly seem duller than they used to be. My old 1.6 Orion always felt like it had a bit of go in it, had 130 on the clock once (ok, the thing was rattling and shaking like it was about to explode Laughing ). Current 1.8 Focus is gutless and bland.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Current 1.8 Focus is gutless and bland.

That wasn't so hard Dance! No need to be embarrassed, behind my Swedish badge lies a Ford Focus and a 1.6 Ford engine Crying or Very sad

Part of the problem's cars are a lot heavier now, and I think old leaded cars had a bit more go. My dad once raced an intercity train in his 1.6L Cavalier, he briefly had it as well Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Current 1.8 Focus is gutless and bland.

That wasn't so hard Dance! No need to be embarrassed

Not embarrassed in the least. It cost me £0 Mr. Green

Wish I could say the same for feckin road tax Mad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain, £260 to get to 60 in nearly 12 seconds Shocked

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done the Pinkster, it must be quite a difficult transition from bike to car after such a long time on 2 wheels. I started on 4 and graduated to 2, several years later. I love driving as much as I love riding (given the right conditions)

I've had my car licence for 41 years (ish).
So remember to come back for a gold star sticker when you've clocked up the same. Wink

Take it easy around cyclists, no matter how much we hate them, we're still not allowed to kill them Brick Wall

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all be talking about your 1.6 focus etc meanwhile I be all..

https://images.honestjohn.co.uk/imagecache/file/fit/730x700/media/3568882/Hyundai~i10~facelift~(5).JPG

Very Happy

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

wouldn't worry too much its still more manly then the one I'm looking at buying Embarassed Embarassed

a ford street ka Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i10 is probably definitely the best city car I've ever driven though. Yes it's got crap over assisted brakes, and lifeless power steering, but as appliance cars go in small packages it's one of the best. I rate it higher than Aygo's, Corsa's, Polo's and Clio's anyway.

I think Chicken strip is dead right about older cars feeling much more lively even Base models. I put it down to a mixture of much lighter kerb weights, and also pre Euro bollocks emissions engines that were set up to run best fueling for drivability not economy or cleanliness.

I do suspect that if I drove a modern mega hatch like a Golf R, or similar, that it would feel much more numb and less lively than my Rover 220, even if it's faster, more wheel drive and has much more grip.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2