Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Social status: how important is it to you?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Social status: how important is it to you? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
A quick look at your old posts and it's clear that you're very interested in status and class when it comes to slagging off people who're richer than you and people who're poorer than you.

As your day job is with a charity who "work to promote mental health and wellbeing for all", you're surprisingly quick to judge people based on your perception of their social class and status.

There is no line that if a person slips below then they're fooked. After all, "People have equal human value regardless of their situation or ability and have the right to dignity, respect, privacy and choice ".

Wink

Happy to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
People seem to need someone to look down upon (maybe it's a construct).

M.C wrote:
that's being a flash c**t

Well it's good that you found your certain someone so quickly Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall have a new show plate made for my Trophy with 'Posh Cunt' on the bottom. Especially for the BBQ Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I shall have a new show plate made for my Trophy with 'Posh Cunt' on the bottom. Especially for the BBQ Thumbs Up

Will that be instead of or in addition to the "Road Captain" plate? Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Social status: how important is it to you? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
A quick look at your old posts and it's clear that you're very interested in status and class when it comes to slagging off people who're richer than you and people who're poorer than you.

As your day job is with a charity who "work to promote mental health and wellbeing for all", you're surprisingly quick to judge people based on your perception of their social class and status.

There is no line that if a person slips below then they're fooked. After all, "People have equal human value regardless of their situation or ability and have the right to dignity, respect, privacy and choice ".

Wink

Fuck off. The reason i take an interest in such questions is exactly because im concerned about how people fair in life. Im interested at the moment in response to this sudden out pouring of," for the many not the few" sentiment from new new old labourites. Whatever work i may have done has fuck all to do with you. And don't whine about getting told to fuck off I doubt its a new experience for you. Hope that helps your enquiring mind.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:09 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Social status: how important is it to you? Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Im interested at the moment in response to this sudden out pouring of," for the many not the few" sentiment from new new old labourites.

Pro tip: If that's what you're interested in then you should have said that in your original post.

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Whatever work i may have done has fuck all to do with you.

I'm just thinking of your clients as someone has to. Wink

Ribenapigeon wrote:
And don't whine about getting told to fuck off I doubt its a new experience for you. Hope that helps your enquiring mind.

The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

Dry your tears etc etc etc. Thumbs Up

Do you tell everyone to fuck off if they say things which question your ethics?

Last edited by Ste on 23:12 - 05 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
M.C wrote:
People seem to need someone to look down upon (maybe it's a construct).

M.C wrote:
that's being a flash c**t

Well it's good that you found your certain someone so quickly Laughing

I don't have a problem if people want to flash their cash Smile It's like how people are often cagey about saying how much they earn etc., doesn't matter to me. I don't do bling watches personally but if I could afford (to run) a Porsche I'd definitely have one.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I don't have a problem if people want to flash their cash Smile It's like how people are often cagey about saying how much they earn etc., doesn't matter to me. I don't do bling watches personally but if I could afford (to run) a Porsche I'd definitely have one.

I suspect for a lot of Porsche owners the status symbol aspect may outweigh the nice machinery aspect.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Social status: how important is it to you? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Im interested at the moment in response to this sudden out pouring of," for the many not the few" sentiment from new new old labourites.

Pro tip: If that's what you're interested in then you should have said that in your original post.

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Whatever work i may have done has fuck all to do with you.

I'm just thinking of your clients as someone has to. Wink

Ribenapigeon wrote:
And don't whine about getting told to fuck off I doubt its a new experience for you. Hope that helps your enquiring mind.

The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

Dry your tears etc etc etc. Thumbs Up

Do you tell everyone to fuck off if they say things which question your ethics?

/conciliator

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
Persons using isle instead of aisle are so beneath me darling....

I've never worked in a supermarket so I'm not familiar with the terminology. It's good to have someone such as yourself to bring us insights from the aisle Wink

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:06 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Johnnythefox wrote:
Persons using isle instead of aisle are so beneath me darling....

I've never worked in a supermarket so I'm not familiar with the terminology.

Erm…surely, then, it follows that your cerebral terminology cache is based purely upon your history of paid employment. Thinking
It is therefore a safe bet that, regarding your use of the terms supermarket and terminology, you indeed have worked in a supermarket and also been/are a lexicographer.

Harrrrrumph.

Ribenapigeon wrote:
im concerned about how people fair in life.

Ding. Ding.
"Any more fares, please!"

And what, exactly, has this thread to do with Politics & Current Affairs, anyway?
Surely Random Banter?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:58 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the advert below on my feed, there's 9000 smoking hot Russian women just waiting to be a financial burden in exchange for being my next status symbol Wub

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 06:48 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advert is for a fiat 500 not Russian women, does that say something about my status? Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:54 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
M.C wrote:

I suspect for a lot of Porsche owners the status symbol aspect may outweigh the nice machinery aspect.

Hasn't been my experience, generally, but the group has many sub groups and it's quite fractious between them sometimes.

For many a 911 is the car they aspired to own when they were young so now they have it, they believe they have made it in life. They have arrived. The problem then becomes, well they bought a water cooled 996 and you haven't arrived until you've got a last of the line 993. Then you need a turbo. Then you need a flat nose 930 turbo. And a RUF.

There are definitely a lot of them that enjoy polishing more than driving, which I find a bit cringy. I bought mine for the drive. It gets the beans. Sometimes it gets polished.

There's some that buy purely for investment because good 911's are a pretty safe bet at the moment. I don't like that as they don't get driven now they should. Cars are for driving, not for storing, IMO. But I can't complain too loudly as I did buy mine with an eye on lower depreciation offsetting higher service costs etc.

Sometimes you get the fast but lesser car versus 911 argument and the answer comes back - yes well it might be fast but it's still a FORD! which just makes me cringe. Just accept it's faster, so what which make it is, you haven't got to drive it.

And there's a lot of die hard Porsche fans. With hats and t shirts and everything. That is embarrassing. They're totally anti any other marque. It's a Porsche or it's nothing. Can't appreciate a good Ferrari - that's sacrilege.

But I think the vast majority respect the car more than the badge. Be that for looking at it and polishing, as an investment, or as a drivers car. Snobbish - but not badge snobs.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:14 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
.... Car bore stuff...

One (ok two words) Porsche Cayenne.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:56 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Do you think you have this thing called status? Do you count? Where's the line that if a person slips below it they're fooked. Maybe more importantly, how far are you from that line?

... No, I think it's obvious to all, it's not how far I or anybody else slips below some arbitrary imaginary line, but, it's clearly important to you, perhaps you already feel you have slipped below said line, and are now seeking reassurance that there are indeed other pond life swimming around with you..

Smacks of a certain degree of insecurity coupled with an unhealthy dose of narcissism.

Other than that, has to be one of the most pointless subjects on bcf, and, that's going some.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:57 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

One word, pepper

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:05 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Do you think you have this thing called status? Do you count? Where's the line that if a person slips below it they're fooked. Maybe more importantly, how far are you from that line?

... No, I think it's obvious to all, it's not how far I or anybody else slips below some arbitrary imaginary line, but, it's clearly important to you, perhaps you already feel you have slipped below said line, and are now seeking reassurance that there are indeed other pond life swimming around with you..

Smacks of a certain degree of insecurity coupled with an unhealthy dose of narcissism.

Other than that, has to be one of the most pointless subjects on bcf, and, that's going some.

Not so pointless you couldn't find the time to respond.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:19 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Yeah, they should buy a Range Rover Sport instead; far less pretentious.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic illustrates more about the internal structure of OP's mind than anyone else who has commented. Even me. And I really can be a fvcknuckle when I want to be.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:32 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
This topic illustrates more about the internal structure of OP's mind than anyone else who has commented.

I think his signature line does it better.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:41 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

It is interesting how raising the subject of status gets a lot of attention to material symbols of status rather than social hierarchy issues.

On wankmobile side-subject, Range Rover Evoque is where the serious PCP image debt money is these days.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:42 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume he lost yet another chest-bumping thumping contest with his pikey neighbour and is seeking a way to turn it into a moral victory.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:46 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

I really don't get why west london's full of them. I wonder if it's a status thing there, I care about my kids so I buy a big stupid 4x4/SUV.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 09:07 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On subject, social status means very little to me. However, I do have the love of nice things and where I can afford to have them I will. This is often perceived by others as you thinking social status is important.

Problems can arise with how others perceive you who don't have what you have and inverted snobbery. Really, people just need to chill out and take people at face value and not worry about all that other stuff.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5