Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Social status: how important is it to you?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Social status: how important is it to you? Reply with quote

People's social status and their perception of others seems a big part of the mechanics of society. So im wondering what it means to others and what you think about it?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't mean much to you or you wouldn't spout so much shit on here.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Can't mean much to you or you wouldn't spout so much shit on here.

https://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/OohBurn.gif

I don't really care, but I don't particularly like being branded scum class either (working class sure). People seem to need someone to look down upon (maybe it's a construct).

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Social status isn't important to me at all, but then, I don't expect you lot beneath me to understand that at all !! Laughing Laughing Laughing

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Social status: how important is it to you? Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
People's social status and their perception of others seems a big part of the mechanics of society. So im wondering what it means to others and what you think about it?

I know I never got someone sacked from a job before, just because I could. That makes me at least one tier up from you.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the facebook generation, init? A load of my "friends" on facebook like to write stuff about how great it all is. All. The. Time. I write sarcastic comments and rubbish jokes.

People feel the need to out compete each other. Leave them to it. What do they think about me? Norrarsed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
It's the facebook generation, init? A load of my "friends" on facebook like to write stuff about how great it all is. All. The. Time. I write sarcastic comments and rubbish jokes.

People feel the need to out compete each other. Leave them to it. What do they think about me? Norrarsed.

I only used FB for perving so wouldn't know Shifty It's full of annoying attention seeking people, but I don't see any attempt to make out you're doing well etc., seems to be the opposite actually; a celebration of the banal and ordinary.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never get why people use the phrase "Tory Scum" to slag off tories
Surely it should be "Tory Toffs" or something
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:14 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sainsbury's is great: it keeps the scum out of Waitrose.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not fussed to be honest.

What I did find funny recently was the amount of uproar and protest there was when there was a Poundland put into the local shop, 'coz obviously it "attracts the scum", apparently.

Then, a while later there was a survey put out by Lidl about putting in a store, which was met with an overwhelming objection.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Nicely thieved gag from "national treasure" Steven Fry.

I didn't start the thread to talj social class im more curious about status which is not really the same thing. Class structures imply status but you could be of an upper class heritage but have little interest in status.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Nicely thieved gag from "national treasure" Steven Fry.

I didn't start the thread to talj social class im more curious about status which is not really the same thing. Class structures imply status but you could be of an upper class heritage but have little interest in status.

So you mean having a BMW on the drive and a flashy watch? That isn't really social status, that's being a flash c**t Razz

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

So you mean having a BMW on the drive and a flashy watch? That isn't really social status, that's being a flash c**t Razz

I don't know, depends if the person feels those things confer status on them. I suspect many people do link status to material possessions.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't, a chav with a range rover's still a chav.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just how people perceive how their peers are doing.

To some it's a flash car, to others a posh house. To some kids it's the latest trainers, to ones in Tottenham it's the best gun and to Muslims it's the snazziest suicide vest.

I know everyone in my cul-de-sac is in awe of my social standing because I have a 2 tonne engine crane Cool

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my place.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think you have this thing called status? Do you count? Where's the line that if a person slips below it they're fooked. Maybe more importantly, how far are you from that line?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I know everyone in my cul-de-sac is in awe of my social standing because I have a 2 tonne engine crane Cool

Or they think you're a Tink and are ready to throw rocks at you if your relatives pitch up in transit vans towing caravans.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:08 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Where's the line that if a person slips below it they're fooked.

Fooked in what sense? Financially? What's that got to do with "status"?

You can be a peer of the realm and sleeping in a doorway, or you can pull on your best pyjamas and uggs then go and spend your dole money on more of Argos' best 9-carat bling.

It's all good, we're a post classist society now.

I mean, except when the "working" classes are demanding more free stuff.

So on that, I'd suggest that those who are the least worthy are now the quickest to assert their privilege.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't give it much thought tbh.
Most of my friends and relatives have more money, better cars and houses than I do but there doesn't seem to be an issue either way.
I do find it odd that they all keep the downstairs curtains drawn and none of their doorbells seem to work, you'd think with their money they'd fit new batteries.
Must send them a text to let them know.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a reply, it says 'Fuck off Onslow.'

No idea. Thinking

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

True virtue is buying fair trade vegan chocolate from co-op with an NUS card.

Tracer1234 wrote:
Not fussed to be honest.

What I did find funny recently was the amount of uproar and protest there was when there was a Poundland put into the local shop, 'coz obviously it "attracts the scum", apparently.

Then, a while later there was a survey put out by Lidl about putting in a store, which was met with an overwhelming objection.

The scum go to the booze isle in LIDL and ALDI. Not even joking.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:36 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persons using isle instead of aisle are so beneath me darling....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:53 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Social status: how important is it to you? Reply with quote

A quick look at your old posts and it's clear that you're very interested in status and class when it comes to slagging off people who're richer than you and people who're poorer than you.

As your day job is with a charity who "work to promote mental health and wellbeing for all", you're surprisingly quick to judge people based on your perception of their social class and status.

There is no line that if a person slips below then they're fooked. After all, "People have equal human value regardless of their situation or ability and have the right to dignity, respect, privacy and choice ".

Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:01 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and as I'm blicked by Boozey, someone needs to quote my post for his benefit. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5