Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Social status: how important is it to you?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:43 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bow to Ste's superior knowledge of the current wheezes.

All I have are anecdotes, the singular of data. A chap who cheerfully boasted to a genuinely struggling relative that he was faking COPD while holding down a manual labour job. "Just don't blow into the thing, love, they can't tell, har har har."

Mr Ooh-Me-Back and Mrs Too-Fat-To-Work round the corner in their disability-adapted free house. Mr Back has let slip that he's at it. Yes, I've ratted him out, but no, sod all has been done about it: he does at least make a show of carrying a stick when he gets out of his free car to buy some fags, I'll give him that.

I'd say that those professional scroungers are high "status" in the sense that Boozy is on about. They've learned that the squeakier the wheel, the more it gets greased.

They're really the new nobility, the idle gentry. After all, "class" got started when one chap said to another "See, the thing is, I've just realised that I'm more deserving more than you. So I'll watch while you toil. Chop chop, peasant."

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started watching this but turned it off: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Claim-Benefits-Useful-Information-Wasters/dp/B06XBTRV6P Might be quite educational Smile I know someone who's faking it, as mentioned in other topics he went on the sick due to the housing benefit caps being introduced. Life-long sponger, best to keep them living cheaply as possible (JSA + grotty council flat)...

...no Mr Borg you can't gas them.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:49 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I bow to Ste's superior knowledge

Mr. Green

For filling in the ESA / PIP forms, if it's a genuine claim then you should be able to fill it in with an NHS person and get a supporting letter / statement from a family member or a friend.

Keep a copy of the forms before you post them.

When you go to the PIP assessment or the ESA work focused interview, go with the same NHS person who filled in the forms with you and take a copy of the forms with you as well.

No idea about housing benefit though. Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
....... I see scroungers,
scroungers everywhere....... Etc

And why are you so bothered about it?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-i-ll-tell-you-what-s-at-the-bottom-of-it-if-you-can-convince-the-lowest-white-man-he-lyndon-b-johnson-107-70-60.jpg

Obviously we've always had the class system so don't really need racism, but it's the same principle Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I'd say that those professional scroungers are high "status" in the sense that Boozy is on about. They've learned that the squeakier the wheel, the more it gets greased.
"

But aren't they just making rational choices and are taking a smart evolutionary path?

They get to bring many children into the world and spread their genes. While those who toil and do stuff generally don't.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

But aren't they just making rational choices and are taking a smart evolutionary path?

They get to bring many children into the world and spread their genes. While those who toil and do stuff generally don't.

Oh i dunno the town is f#kin heaving with little middling class kids and their dummy mummies since the school hols started. I suspect Rsnge Rover Evoques have a fertility enhancement system. Those Range Rover boffins are well clever.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Oh i dunno the town is f#kin heaving with little middling class kids and their dummy mummies since the school hols started. I suspect Rsnge Rover Evoques have a fertility enhancement system. Those Range Rover boffins are well clever.

Are they really middling though? Middle Class is if you have f*** you money* or can stop all economic activity and still be able to maintain their current life style without external aid.

*pewpewdiepie had f*** you money as he could simply walk away and maintain his life style therefore could speak his mind.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:04 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Yes. The future is Idiocracy.

See also more educated, professional women freezing eggs because they concentrated on their careers and never found a man who met their standards. Brick Wall

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

It taxes my tolerance.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

Are they really middling though? Middle Class is if you have f*** you money or can stop all economic activity and still be able to maintain their current life style without external aid.

What! Middle class is certainly not fuck you moneg. Im disappointed Itchy i thought you had a better handle on this sort of thing. Class is as much about aspirations as actual cash. Why do you think PCP exists.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
See also more educated, professional women freezing eggs because they concentrated on their careers and never found a man who met their standards. Brick Wall.

I saw that.

I also looked into the stats and they are terrible. 0.7% of women who freeze their eggs get a live baby from this process. At £1000 a year seemed expensive. So really the cost of freezing seemed more like a career woman tax than anything else.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

What! Middle class is certainly not fuck you moneg. Im disappointed Itchy i thought you had a better handle on this sort of thing. Class is as much about aspirations as actual cash.

I dunno working class sort of got merged into middle class though.

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Why do you think PCP exists.

It's part of the credit expansion bubble.

You've got the boomers up to their eyeballs in debt and they can't put much more on top.

You have loads of Gen X, Y and millennial unable to access credit for houses.

You've got everybody who wants to go to University tapped out on student debt.

So you push debt onto them to buy things they can afford like cars with PCP deals and expand the credit that way.

Who knows what they'll push credit onto once this market is saturated (currently at 30bn+)

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

It taxes my tolerance.

I suggest you need to get out of your income/status demographic into one where you can avoid getting so taxed. If Ricky Branson can do it so can you, that private island is only a little effort and some backbone away.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:17 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
See also more educated, professional women freezing eggs because they concentrated on their careers and never found a man who met their standards. Brick Wall.

I saw that.

I also looked into the stats and they are terrible. 0.7% of women who freeze their eggs get a live baby from this process. At £1000 a year seemed expensive. So really the cost of freezing seemed more like a career woman tax than anything else.

Aye its daft when you can get a cute little brown baby from some third world country for much cheaper.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Aye its daft when you can get a cute little brown baby from some third world country for much cheaper.

Most women aren't Angelia Jolie though Very Happy

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The scum go to the booze isle in LIDL and ALDI.

I bought a mate a three quid bottle of german wine from there; she purports to be a wine buff. So when I texted her to ask her honest opinion, she said it was "very very good".
I need to ask her face to face so I can see if she was bullshitting Laughing
I expect her and her fella probably had one mouthful, and used it to clean the toilet with.
I didn't tell her it was three quid, or where it came from cos she's a bit of a snob. Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The scum go to the booze isle in LIDL and ALDI.

I bought a mate a three quid bottle of german wine from there; she purports to be a wine buff. So when I texted her to ask her honest opinion, she said it was "very very good".
I need to ask her face to face so I can see if she was bullshitting Laughing
I expect her and her fella probably had one mouthful, and used it to clean the toilet with.
I didn't tell her it was three quid, or where it came from cos she's a bit of a snob. Laughing

Aldi particularly have been indulging in loss leaders in the booze aisle. Its worked l, the Aldis ound me are packed with middle-class Aldiholics as they're known. Bastards rsid the charcuteries as well. Mad

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine snobbery, you say? Smile

https://youtu.be/lwNYv510jF4?t=75
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
They're really the new nobility, the idle gentry.

No, really, they're not Laughing They're just a smarter class of scum, they and their "underclass" bedfellows don't *even* have the integrity of the working class.

Quote:
After all, "class" got started when one chap said to another "See, the thing is, I've just realised that I'm more deserving more than you. So I'll watch while you toil. Chop chop, peasant."

Good point, but still, underclass is underclass, and nobody is lower.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're at it in anticipation of the weekend
https://www.vinspireuk.com/2015/10/sozzled-skits-top-5-wine-comedy-shorts.html?m=1

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in an interesting position status-wise these days.
I perceive myself as pretty working class in British terms.

However, I remember my mum, who admittedly is a bit of a Hyacinth Bouquet type, saying years ago that in NZ everyone is middle class. This is true enough amongst the people round where we lived, as she managed to buy a house years ago in what is now a very high-status area (around the corner from a navy housing estate where we grew up) and recently sold it for a fortune. But there is, and was, even back then, a seriously poor benefit-claiming class there as well. Moreso now than ever before.

So there I am, in the middle of what-am-I? land; I feel like I come from a working class family (predominantly bakers & military-NCOs) but my mother has given me a sense of entitlement, whilst also removing the means for me to become so for myself (another story, I think most of you know that)

But (as a result of a fairly high intellectual capability) I tend to gravitate towards people slightly more educated and well-spoken than myself, although my accent separates me out from all English people of whatever class anyway Laughing And I don't perceive myself as one of the underclass, indeed I struggle to avoid behaviours that would put me back there for good: I nearly got bogged down in that mire with the last boyfriend, I ain't going back there. Ever.

Salt of the earth, or absolute scumbags, the working class is really only divided by those who have successfully managed to not work and blag a decent living at it, so yeah by Rogerborg's equation, they might be the new elite, but only amongst their own class, and by doing so, have put themselves below the rest of us who perceive ourselves as working class but who have to work hard for what we hae (often less than them wot scrounge).

But now, here in London, I have become a part of "respectable society" by volunteering myself (unpaid for the most part) in Good Works for several organisations where I often sit amongst Chief Executives and Chairpeople, am party to making some quite hefty decisions, and am on nodding/friendly greeting terms with several Sir This or Lady That (both left and right wing).

And yet ... and yet ... although they are very charming to my face, and I am encouraged to attend high-functioning events on behalf of the organisations I do this volunteer work for ... they don't directly befriend me or invite me to their personal soirees; they see me, and somehow keep me, at a level below themselves.

As soon as I am gone, I suspect that they forget me, because they have other things to do, other people to see, etc. I wonder if I occur to them at any other point in their lives when they are otherwise occupied (most likely if they are having a dump, and suddenly think "Oh, Sano, I wonder what she's up to today...".

But until I hove back into view, they are unlikely to have thought of me at all. No doubt if they saw me at a Party Conference, or somewhere out of context that they rated as important, then they might suddenly find a reason to find me useful again, and might perceive me differently.

And it is this that makes me realise that actually I do exactly the same thing to those I consider lesser than myself. I might meet someone and yet if I don't perceive them as being "the same as me", I reject something about them that even enables me to recognise them again.

I bumped into a man at the gym several weeks ago, and he was ever so friendly, as if he knew me, and said, Hello, how are you, how is your husband ... but I had NO IDEA who he was, until he pointed out to me that he delivered my curries.

He was just not interesting enough for me to waste my time recalling.

Thinking Or maybe I'm just a weirdo who doesn't mix well and can't network for toffee Laughing

Last edited by hellkat on 11:29 - 07 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn.

hellkat = Teffragette

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Damn.

hellkat = Teffragette

Now now don't get above yourself.

I hate the whole underclass scroungers crap. Being a scammer is a personality type not a clsss demographic. What counters the corrupting effect of scammers is how well the rest of us can collaborate despite cultural differences in order to improve society. Even then could there be people whos status is so low their existence isn't even recognised by those who consider themselves good people ? Which sounds like what might be behind your mum's assertion everyone in NZ was middle class.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:59 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
hellkat = Teffragette

Yerrs, can we get a self- tl;dr summary on that one?

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:41 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
hellkat wrote:
hellkat = Teffragette

Yerrs, can we get a self- tl;dr summary on that one?

I actually took the time to read it, when its someone who you feel has something interesting to say its quite easy.

Teff's i just see the avatar, check the name, scroll down a bit if its a long one and then go to the next post.

You see, all this goes back to the year 18dibertyeleventeen when....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5