How many offences?
100%
 100%  [ 13 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Crossing both white lines Reply with quote

Legality question:
To my understanding, if one were to ride past the solid white line into a cycle box at a red it is an offence to cross the first line?
However if your wheel was also rolled over the farthest white line, is one open to being done for 2 x the same offence? Thinking

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offence is failing to comply, not by how far. You're as good to just jump it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:11 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it:

1) You can cross the first line if the lights aren't on red. If they subsequently change to red, and your between the 1st and 2nd line, you must stop at the second line.

2) If the lights are already on red, you may not cross either white line, until the lights change.

I've literally never seen a bike pulled over for either issue, to be fair ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:

I've literally never seen a bike pulled over for either issue, to be fair ....

Doesn't seem to happen in London, I've seen a copper on a bike do it and I've seen people on bikes do it in front of coppers, the latter almost daily.

But to answer the question, 1, as arry said you're jumping that set of traffic lights not two

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
The offence is failing to comply, not by how far. You're as good to just jump it.

Got it, run every red and when caught tell 'em arry said I was good. Thumbs Up
Once someone told me I hear what I want to hear.

The idea that you could have ended up in the box when the light was green initially makes me wonder if argument could be made if the copper didn't see you when you entered it. Thinking

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that in London they did have a crackdown and were pulling bikes for entering the box. I think is might have been on Embankment...

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:02 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I believe Doovy fell foul of this and ended up with three bonus points and a bribe

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I seem to remember that in London they did have a crackdown and were pulling bikes for entering the box. I think is might have been on Embankment...

I recall a few weeks years ago where they were handing out pamphlets at traffic lights and finger wagging at those who were not compliant. The one I spoke to seemed to give as much of a fuck about it as I did, zero.

My personal favourite, which doesn't happen very often as I generally leave them enough room, is when cyclists take it upon themselves to tell you all about how you're not supposed to enter the box. My general response is a wanking motion followed by a flagrant finish of flicking fingers in a jizz like fashion towards them. How many fucks again? Zero. To be honest I'm usually just astounded they stopped at a red light.

Last edited by owl on 08:12 - 06 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=272530&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
My personal favourite, which doesn't happen very often as I generally leave them enough room, is when cyclists take it upon themselves to tell you all about how you're not supposed to enter the box. My general response is a wanking motion followed by a flagrant finish of flicking fingers in a jizz like fashion towards them. How many fucks again? Zero. To be honest I'm generally just astounded they stopped at a traffic light
The same ones who quite happily ride the wrong side of traffic islands, including the ones that did so and when I followed past I got slapped with a £60 fine. Copper said, we were trying to figure out what we could do about the cyclists, but we couldn't think of anything we could hit them with. Then you came along!

Fair cop and I don't do it anymore, well if I really need to because of a significant obstruction, I get off and push and then back on.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
arry wrote:

Got it, run every red and when caught tell 'em arry said I was good. Thumbs Up
Once someone told me I hear what I want to hear.

The idea that you could have ended up in the box when the light was green initially makes me wonder if argument could be made if the copper didn't see you when you entered it. Thinking

That's why they have to actually witness it. You might have stopped there when the light was green then the offence would not have been committed.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:55 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

<OriginalQuestion>1 set of lights, 1 offence.</OriginalQuestion>

vice wrote:
To be honest I'm usually just astounded they stopped at a red light.

Only so they could lecture you about taking up their special, special space.

I've mentioned several times that I treat both ASLs and red lights as advisories. And why not, since the local Plodforce does too. I don't mean that I regularly ride through them, just that when there's a clear, significant gain to be made, and no cross-traffic or Dibble on site, fvcks given trends towards zero.

I've had one TS10 in 28 years, and that was in a car, at a specific honey-pot set of lights that Dibble was staking out. Lessons were learned.

In regular riding, the chances of being caught are so insignificant that it's more an issue of safety than legality. I'd include the prospect of rage revenge by outraged cagers if you don't get clean away in the safety aspect. Some of them get wound up enough just by legal filtering to make it a consideration.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Some of them get wound up enough just by legal filtering to make it a consideration.

So much this, often get people shaking head and waving arms and general flapping if you're filtering. Had a woman on a bicycle tutting at me today for filtering in the oncoming lane but over to the right, as per bikesafe police instructions, road was clear except for her in the cycle lane, which I was nowhere near.

Shortly followed by another cyclist jumping a red light and nearly ploughing into some poor woman trying to cross the road.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:35 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Had a woman on a bicycle tutting at me today for filtering in the oncoming lane but over to the right, as per bikesafe police instructions.

As far as I'm aware, you can happily ride down the oncoming lane. Razz

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
vice wrote:
Had a woman on a bicycle tutting at me today for filtering in the oncoming lane but over to the right, as per bikesafe police instructions.

As far as I'm aware, you can happily ride down the oncoming lane. Razz

I did and will continue to Thumbs Up

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
<OriginalQuestion>1 set of lights, 1 offence.</OriginalQuestion>
I've mentioned several times that I treat both ASLs and red lights as advisories. And why not, since the local Plodforce does too. I don't mean that I regularly ride through them, just that when there's a clear, significant gain to be made, and no cross-traffic or Dibble on site, fvcks given trends towards zero.

In regular riding, the chances of being caught are so insignificant that it's more an issue of safety than legality. I'd include the prospect of rage revenge by outraged cagers if you don't get clean away in the safety aspect. Some of them get wound up enough just by legal filtering to make it a consideration.

Exactly my thinking, on the odd occasion that I do filter, there is a modicum of added safety. (in getting to the front)
So I do like to be aware of potential penalties for how I might play the game of survival.

My thinking is filtering scenarios where I get to the front and there is already a car in the box and a small island to my right.
Meaning I'm left with the option of either being angled in front of him with no quick launch, or just rolling further over the second white line.
Thankfully it sounds like the safety aspect again overrules any penalty. Thumbs Up

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 294 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1