Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit - literally flooded with fuel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Bandit - literally flooded with fuel Reply with quote

Went to see my mates bike last night after he said it was running lumpy.

Got there an deffo had a misfire all headers were hot.

checked the over flow pipes - which were dry

unbunged the air box drain an about a cup full of fuel & water poured out

So pulled the carbs off an they were literally flooded with fuel. So I'm guessing a float has stuck, but why didn't they drain?

Stripped the carbs an all looked OK, bit of crap but nothing much.

ran out of light so couldnt get them refitted but hoping to tonight.

Also dropped the oil as it stunk of fuel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:52 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Bandit - literally flooded with fuel Reply with quote

Run a wire up the overflows to see if they are blocked. Strip and clean the carbs should sort it unless you need a new float or a new float needle.

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:53 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by flooded BTW? How can you tell if it isn't flowing?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to strip and clean my Bandit carbs yearly to keep it reliable and that was daily used and rarely left standing. It got so common I even did a (rare) how-to.

Give the carbs a thorough service.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the tank off, removed air box (which was wet with fuel). as i pulled the air box away from the carbs fuel came out

Stupidly i never drained the bowls, but surely the fuel wouldn't leave the bowls with the carbs still being fitted?

The bike was ran at the weekend for a few hours an ran sweet, before this it had been laid up for god knows how long - He has only just bought it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:08 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
I pulled the tank off, removed air box (which was wet with fuel). as i pulled the air box away from the carbs fuel came out

Stupidly i never drained the bowls, but surely the fuel wouldn't leave the bowls with the carbs still being fitted?

The bike was ran at the weekend for a few hours an ran sweet, before this it had been laid up for god knows how long - He has only just bought it.

I can't imagine all the overflows are blocked. Do they share a common drain pipe?

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have two separate drains, possibly routed wrong?

fast wooly
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your engine oil!you will probally find that its contaminated with fuel(you can smell it on the dipstick)Have seen this a number of times on customers bikes,the carbs dont overflow through the overflows my the fuel comes up the main jet and into the engine,it also gets into the airbox explaining the fuel in there.If your oil is contaminated you will need to do a full oil and filter change,then check again after a few miles,I've had a couple of bikes that were so bad that they needed to oil and filter changes!

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:17 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be a good idea to replace the float needles, these are wear items that need to be replaced over time.

If the float valve seats are removable, the o-ring seals will also benefit from renewal.

If either of these have worn out on any of the carbs they will flood badly.

Also check the floats float and that they move freely.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:41 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooly is right you have to check the oil (or at least the oil level).

[Bandit needles have viton rubber tips so don't wear as much as the older hardened point needle. They can wear though, look at the profile it should be a cone shape with straight sides but they can wear curved like a trumpet. Happened to a guy local to me, I had some spare needles from a S-reg Fazer that it and it was fine afterwards.

No1 suspect is dirt (or rust) in the fuel line. Clean them out and see if that cures it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had cases where the vuccumm control fuel petcock has failed and flooded the engine with petrol. Worth checking that too

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all, i dropped the oil on the night of stripping the carbs.

Float valves look a-ok

if anything the oil level was low, but the oil did stink of fuel an was blacker than a witches hat.

Everything is back together now an working well, except for what seems like a seized rear caliper....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1