Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Down to the Alps and back via the Black Forest

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Down to the Alps and back via the Black Forest Reply with quote

Painfully early on Saturday morning a few of us from the forum (well 15 actually) will be heading off on the 2017 Eurojolly.

https://i.imgur.com/OPhBYZ2.jpg

Route looks roughly something like that. Down through Reims and Besancon, via Switzerland and a bit of Lac Leman. Then stopping in Sallanches for two nights to do a bit of exploring around the Alpine passes. We will spend a day riding the twisties through Col des Montets, Col de la Forclaz and Col du Grand St. Bernard. 3 countries in a day - France, Switzerland and into Italy.

After that some of the group hang around for another night in Sallanches and then head over to Switzerland. The rest of us aim for a night in Montbeliard and then up through the Black Forest for two nights in Buhl. We will get a day riding the awesome B500 and exploring the area before heading home via Sedan for a night.

9 days, 6 countries and probably about 1700 miles.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun all, and hope you all have a safe trip and make it back in 1 piece.

Looking forward to the write ups and pictures! Thumbs Up

Riding: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer Occasionally Riding: 08 Suzuki SV650, Potato: 2011 Yamaha YBR Custom.
Used to ride: 2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (smidsy) 09 Triumph Street Triple (P/X'd) 08 Yamaha YBR (Sold)
CBT 04/14. A: Mod 1 & 2 13/04/15
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing that in a group of 15 sounds like a nightmare. How will you be ensuring everyone keeps together?

Almost parallel to my own trip, I wonder if we will bump into each other? Chances are slim I suppose. What time chunnel train are you catching?

I've actually chosen a couple of detours off of the B500. Think I'm still doing all the twister bits, but for e.g., I'll be detouring on a smaller road down to Oppenau, and there's one other bit further down too, can't remember off the top of my head.

It'll be interesting to compare trips. Have a good one, folks Thumbs Up

P.S. Is -Matt- going with you? Hope everyone has breakdown recovery and good lawyers if so Razz Not saying you're a jinx, -Matt-, but... Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you overcome mild peril and come back slightly changed people....when I sat changed I mean improved.....a lot. Measurably improved with better skin and hair and a glint in your eye.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Doing that in a group of 15 sounds like a nightmare. How will you be ensuring everyone keeps together?

If it goes by the SE rideout book, then any hurdle, be it big or small, will add to the hilarity of the entire trip.
Keeping the group together is probably the least of anyone's worries!!

Have a good'n' boys and girls. I'm looking forward to extensive ride reports inclusive of all details regarding debauchery, kitten killing, flapping hi-vis and pink wine fuelled shenanigans.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:00 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:

If it goes by the SE rideout book, then any hurdle, be it big or small, will be tripped over.

Question
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
haroman666 wrote:

If it goes by the SE rideout book, then any hurdle, be it big or small, will be tripped over.

Question

Gracefully Spectacularly.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:

Gracefully Spectacularly.

Subscribed! Laughing

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
How will you be ensuring everyone keeps together?
What time chunnel train are you catching?

We've managed shorter trips with as many people. Last time we did Lille Karting I think there were about the same numbers. The "drop off" system works well as long as everyone remembers to pull over in the right places. We should be fine, the whole group know the system now.

10.20 departure on Saturday.

Howling Terror wrote:
I hope you overcome mild peril and come back slightly changed people....

Yeah, as you know, I could probably do with a bit of that Laughing

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:22 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/EphBcVQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yS7yW6p.jpg

Nothing much to say about day 1, apart from it's hot at about 35. Met the guys at the tunnel where there were some delays. By the time we hit France it was decided just to get to the hotel. Still managed to ride some great roads through some lovely countryside and pretty villages. The routes over to the east of Paris heading south are nicer than the other side.

Got to Reims with no issues. On to Besancon today.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 of us made it to Besancon. Exactly 0.7 miles away from the hotel this morning we had a breakdown (mechanical not mental). The SV decided it didn't like it's charging circuit any more and gave up.

https://i.imgur.com/tqUBEnI.jpg

Recovery called, nothing we could do except carry on. Found some outstanding roads and a short, but wet, rain storm. On to Sallanches tomorrow.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- is with you isn't he? I told you, that man's a jinx Laughing (Just teasing, -Matt- Razz )
Sorry to hear about the bike trouble. Who's SV?
I guess if you're in a large group, there's more chance of someone having a bike problem. Did whoever go home with the recovered bike, or are they catching you up after repairs, or...?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I hear Pigeon ran into my mate Neil, who is also over here somewhere, at some point on this trip. Hope you recover soon Steve Laughing
Small world, innit?

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SV belongs to Rogue Shadow. It's at a garage and will get looked at tomorrow. We have a few nights in Sallanches so hopefully he can catch up.

It was on the Eurotunnel Pigeon ran into your mate. Ended up in the same carriage.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headed over the Jura mountains today following some of the Tour de France routes from earlier in the week. Bit wet and pretty greasy in the morning.

https://i.imgur.com/jSsHmxE.jpg

Found some stunning roads on the way to Switzerland and stopped off at Lac Leman for ice cream and a bit of a look at Geneva.

https://i.imgur.com/OVEbwHa.jpg

All made it to the Alps and the hotel in Sallanches. Great views of the mountains here.

https://i.imgur.com/ovf63DZ.jpg

Best day of the trip so far.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Stuff!!!

Did Rogue Shadow catch up with you yet? I assume the ped in the picture isn't with you lol?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon was saying the weather looked like it was closing in. Glad for you guys that it didn't Thumbs Up

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's on the VTR? And how many times have they run out of fuel? Laughing

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kiss you all on both cheeks you legends. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:39 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue caught up last night at 10.30 Thumbs Up

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:50 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fowlersrs is on the VTR. Had a nice little blast with him up some of the dry twisties yesterday overtaking the locals.

Weather has been kind and we got lucky. Last night though we got thunderstorms and torrential rain in the evening. Makes it even more awesome that Rogue Shadow rode the resurected SV through this, in the dark, for 6 hours, on toll roads to get here.

https://i.imgur.com/41jbvYh.jpg

Garage man said the battery was down to about 30% capacity.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:53 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My chain is slack

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:38 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a roll call of everyone on the trip?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
How about a roll call of everyone on the trip?

This would be cool to know. Fair Play to RS for catching come. Commitment right there! Hope you all have a good day today! Same to you Chickenstrip.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2