Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

June 2017 new registration stats

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:30 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: June 2017 new registration stats Reply with quote

https://www.mcia.co.uk/Uploads/Statistics/Press-Statistics-201706-June-2017.pdf

tl;dr version - 125s are still down by 34.5% over last year. Pale

The small 126-650 market is also down, with the Yamaha X-MAX 300 taking the crown there.

But 650+ is up slightly, thanks to the usual suspects at BMW and Triumph. The Bonneville Bobber is selling like gangbusters, so we're not past Peak Hipster yet.

Suzuki had a decent month; presumably that pent up desire for their new Gixxers is still spurting strongly.

On a back-of-a-napkin calculation that's all the December 2016 pre-reg 125s been accounted for now, so if 125 registrations don't pick up sharpish then it could spell trouble for Dodgy Dan's Bikes and Kebabs stylee dealers.

(Expect to see similar reports in MCN and Visor Down in a week or so).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't understand is how the motorcycle industry that by the sounds of it is still shrinking, can support itself with just sales of 650cc> machines.

This in my simplistic mind says most sales are not now to new bikers, or commuters, or to people looking to cut personal transport costs. It would also be expected that insurance wise be a predominantly over 40's market buying these large bikes as insurance isn't generally an issue to large capacity bike buyers.

So it's repeat business, and tempting people to replace their blades, and GSXR 1000's, or their adventure bikes with new. It could also be because big nakeds are taking over the market and becoming the most technically interesting bikes, and a few more people are buying into fashion bikes (hipster) or deciding to buy big tourers and do more travelling.

All the above points to a large number of multiple bike owners too, so the haves of society might have 2 or more new expensive bikes in their garages?

Lastly this repeat business and buying multiple bikes for existing experienced riders is finite business though, and as more of these people sell up and stop biking with age/health I'd expect sales to slowly drop to reflect this, and the fact that new blood isn't coming through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think youngsters will continue buying 125s as car insurance's so expensive, whether they continue riding's another matter, particularly with the current licensing laws. Also I'm not sure they'll become born again bikers (like a lot of people have), as riding a 4-stroke 125 on L plates probably won't give you the same sort of memories, as people who got to experience more impressive machinery.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fashionable to cycle for a lot of the younger set now. Motorbikes are not fashionable from that point of view.

Remember the 'You meet the nicest people on a Honda' advert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmG_NfQVb0

Aimed at women and showing the small bikes as motorised bikes, no special clothes, sometimes no helmets, easy to use.

https://d39a3h63xew422.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/20113613/you-meet-the-nicest-people-on-a-honda-1476934798674.jpg

The same with Italian scooters

https://img1.etsystatic.com/149/0/9973267/il_570xN.1122152177_bk1i.jpg

Now women wouldn't be seen dead on motorbikes but will quite happily ride a push bike so thats one demographic that has been completely lost to the motorcycle industry.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Win the grand national riding side saddle on the back of a scooter? Eh?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Win the grand national riding side saddle on the back of a scooter? Eh?

It's advertising, what do you expect? The truth!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Now women wouldn't be seen dead on motorbikes

We know some very different women... most that I know like bikes, at least in the abstract sense, if they don't ride.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:44 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
This in my simplistic mind says most sales are not now to new bikers, or commuters, or to people looking to cut personal transport costs.

Seems so. The JapaNazi manufacturers have been trying to address this with their ~300-ish cc A2 bikes, but those are also-rans in the UK sales figures.

Polarbear wrote:
Remember the 'You meet the nicest people on a Honda' advert?

No I don't, and that's the problem. Bike manufacturers have given up on marketing to potential bikers.

When's the last time you saw a bike advert, when you were already reading or watching or talking about bikes?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Now women wouldn't be seen dead on motorbikes

We know some very different women... most that I know like bikes, at least in the abstract sense, if they don't ride.

Women 'like' fur coats, doesn't mean they would wear them.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Now women wouldn't be seen dead on motorbikes but will quite happily ride a push bike so thats one demographic that has been completely lost to the motorcycle industry.

Barcelona a few weeks ago. Birds everywhere on scooters. It would appear not to be widespread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:33 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Barcelona a few weeks ago. Birds everywhere on scooters.

Always rubbing your crazy jet-set lifestyle in our hidebound prole-faces. Sad

https://i.imgur.com/sTsIET8.jpg?1

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Barcelona a few weeks ago. Birds everywhere on scooters. It would appear not to be widespread.

Perhaps because they are not vilified like they are in UK. Ride a pushbike or be an inconsiderate earth killer/polluter/Polarbear killer Crying or Very sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:11 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, it does seem like Barcelona is in a fairly bad way and scootays are a significant contributor:

https://citiesofthefuture.eu/barcelona-needs-swift-action-against-pollution-a957f66ae3cd

Of course, the usual answer from an ecomentalist: BAN ALL THE THINGS!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:25 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
arry wrote:
Barcelona a few weeks ago. Birds everywhere on scooters.

Flew Ryan Air. Fo real bruv, I ain't even lying.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Perhaps because they are not vilified like they are in UK. Ride a pushbike or be an inconsiderate earth killer/polluter/Polarbear killer Crying or Very sad

Dunno, I see cycling as a gateway drug to motorcycling, once you get your 2 wheel fix it's hard to shake.

arry wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Flew Ryan Air. Fo real bruv, I ain't even lying.

Lies, you had Concorde recommissioned specially.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:22 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the new ryanair concorde. After takeoff, the hostess has a whip-round to see if they can afford to light the afterburners.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone ever remember any tv ads for bikes though?

The best I can do is remember Sunday magazines, and maybe lifestyle mags, mens mags and a few posters/bill boards on bus stops with slogans like:

'Real riders ride Honda's', and 'let the goodtimes roll'.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki adverts are the most recent but they were on when MotoGP was live on Eurosport.

Other than that, I'm going back years and other than the Honda adverts, I'm struggling.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face it motorcycles are for weirdos and freaks...

Wub

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:59 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And mummy's boys.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:04 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesn't everyone steal things because they're free?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha have been advertising during cycling on Eurosport for over a year - typically bikes like the Tracer.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:37 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda has that ad that's during breaks in film 4 movies. That shows both bikes and the NSX, plus other random Honda shit - robot, jet engines and F1 I think? To be fair, I reckon it's more a 'Look! Honda! We still exist, and aren't we sporty!' ad than for a specific vehicle or class of vehicles.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot about Honda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrQoof1F2cQ Not sure if that's the one you're on about.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2