Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

All help appreciated - Honda CB400SF Restoration

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

enj1996
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: All help appreciated - Honda CB400SF Restoration Reply with quote

Hi all,

My father recently passed away from cancer and left behind all his motorbikes to me. One that lives fondly in the memory is the Honda CB400SF he had, which he had an accident in and did not ride it after that.
I charged its battery but the steering lock won't even turn, no matter how hard I try to twist the key or the steering. I need a real help in at least knowing how much it will cost to fix. The front brake handle is broken off and so is the foot part for the stand. I need to have an idea of what is wrong with it mechanically so I can restore it - at the very least, get it up and running so that I can take it to a shop and start doing small jobs on it.

Any and all help is much appreciated, it would really mean a lot to me if this bike can feasibly be retuned to the road. I have limited knowledge, only doing work on my YBR125 - which in comparison to the CB400, is a piece of piss to fix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:05 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You appear to live somewhere between my home and my work - at a guess Camberwell or Elephant and Castle, so I could have a poke at it.

The steering lock may be a separate key on the side of headstock. Not sure what age it is, but some Hondas from the early-mid 80s did that. If the steering lock is part of the ignition switch, spray plenty of lubricant down the lock and down the key gently. Can help to gently move the bars a degree or two, just to take any pressure off the steering lock and let it move.

enj1996
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
You appear to live somewhere between my home and my work - at a guess Camberwell or Elephant and Castle, so I could have a poke at it.

The steering lock may be a separate key on the side of headstock. Not sure what age it is, but some Hondas from the early-mid 80s did that. If the steering lock is part of the ignition switch, spray plenty of lubricant down the lock and down the key gently. Can help to gently move the bars a degree or two, just to take any pressure off the steering lock and let it move.

I don't think there's a separate steering lock. It's an early 90's model, so I'll find some WD40 or something and do that. I am based in Waterloo so it'd be a massive help if I could get an idea of the costings for the repairs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iansoady
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:42 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you're talking about a Super Four 400cc four.

I take it you're talking about the ignition / steering lock on the top of the top yoke. If it's locked in position it could just be corrosion. You do have the right key don't you?

This forum van be helpful: https://www.400greybike.com/forum/index.php

enj1996
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansoady wrote:
I guess you're talking about a Super Four 400cc four.

I take it you're talking about the ignition / steering lock on the top of the top yoke. If it's locked in position it could just be corrosion. You do have the right key don't you?

This forum van be helpful: https://www.400greybike.com/forum/index.php

Definitely the right key. Took people's advice on the lubricant and it worked a treat. Now it's just a case of analysing the damage.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1