BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My MT09

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: My MT09 Reply with quote

Quick thoughts on my recent purchase, 2014 MT09 with Akra full system.

Been on the bike about 2 weeks, daily commutes through city roads and one weekend mini-hoon to Epping. I think I'm only now getting the hang of the bike. Usual few days of getting used to riding position, clutch, brakes, turning circle, lean etc etc.

Positives
I think the thing that caught me out a few times was the almost instant power compared to my last few bikes. Having never ridden a triple, it feels like power just keeps coming all the way through. Very exhilarating and and slightly scary at the same time.

Brakes are great, very stable and reassuring. Have had rear ABS kick in a couple of times so still learning the limits there.

Riding position is comfortable and there's no fatigue on wrists, unlike my GSXRs where I'd really feel it if I got stuck in traffic. Pegs to me feel like they are slightly higher than other naked bikes (Hornet, ER6N) which gives an almost supermoto feel to the riding style.
The seat for me is a bit odd in that I keep sliding forward to the narrow bit which then puts my gems under a bit of pressure. Not a major issue but one I might fix if funds allow.

The sound with the Akra decat is amazing. I still have the baffle in because frankly it's silly loud as it is and still cracks and pops all over the place. Blipping it through traffic helps get some nice attention which is great, and reminds half-asleep peds that the road is for me, not them!

Good stuff aside, a couple of foibles. The suspension is far too soft for my liking. I weigh a tad under 80KG and the bike just feels soft and bouncy. Will def need to get that adjusted, although the rear has already been adjusted to stiffest it'll go.
Fueling is pretty bad, very snatchy in standard and A mode. B mode is a bit more mellow but then it's not near as fun. I can def see the "switch throttle" characteristic of the bike. Will see if a remap can solve that in the future, but for now I've gotten used to it and can work around it most of the time.

The only work I've had done on the bike is the installation of a tracker and alarm.

Generally it's an awesome bike - very nippy and the instant power gives me lots of confidence when moving away from the lights. Ideal commuter that's also fun and so far I'm thoroughly enjoying riding it.

Happy to answer any questions and grateful for any input/advice on the niggles I mention above.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know theres a slightly more forgiving (Genuine Yamaha) gel comfort seat for these. My demo bike had one and
it was a nicer place to sit than the ironing board flat, rock hard seat on my Spacker. As you'd expect not cheap unless you
bag a used one cheap on fleabay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-MT09-MT-09-GENUINE-YAMAHA-comfort-seat-with-mt-09-logo-new-boxed-/391733609967?epid=0&hash=item5b352485ef:g:KXUAAOxyeR9THcdP

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

The Tracer too has the slight negative of such a snatchy throttle. Will be interested to know if you mange to find any remedies to this. Yes it can be worked around, but I would say it airs on the side of slightly too snatchy at times. When two up, I generally always put it into B mode to help make it smother.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: My MT09 Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:

Good stuff aside, a couple of foibles. The suspension is far too soft for my liking. I weigh a tad under 80KG and the bike just feels soft and bouncy. Will def need to get that adjusted, although the rear has already been adjusted to stiffest it'll go.
Fueling is pretty bad, very snatchy in standard and A mode. B mode is a bit more mellow but then it's not near as fun. I can def see the "switch throttle" characteristic of the bike. Will see if a remap can solve that in the future, but for now I've gotten used to it and can work around it most of the time.

Congrats for the new bike Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/3iunAKY.jpg

Check the recalls.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/modification-checker/index.aspx

Your model most likely will need fix of the Lower handlebar holder coming loose.

Note Yamaha has done a fix for the snatchy throttle too, but this has not been anounced as an oficial recall.

Means find a good Yamaha garage near you and they can fix that for free for you whilst doing the Lower handlebar holder recall fix.

IME Infinity Farnborough has been brilliant after doing the ECU throttle fix my MT09 is much better.

For the suspension check this: https://www.sportrider.com/tech/suggested-sport-bike-motorcycle-suspension-settings

I use FZ09 settings and the bike is way better now. And I am 108kg.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: My MT09 Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Check the recalls.

Many thanks, Val... much helpful Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:33 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: My MT09 Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Note Yamaha has done a fix for the snatchy throttle too, but this has not been anounced as an oficial recall.

I'm wondering if this is going to be A Thing.

Release a bike with snatchy over-lean fuelling to scam emissions, then have dealers "fix" it at the first service, knowing that there are no in-service emissions checks.

Fine with me, if so.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: My MT09 Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Means find a good Yamaha garage near you and they can fix that for free for you whilst doing the Lower handlebar holder recall fix.

IME Infinity Farnborough has been brilliant after doing the ECU throttle fix my MT09 is much better.

How would one go about doing this. Just calling a dealer and asking for the throttle fix?

Is it an ECU re-flash? Is if free to get done and has it made a big difference. I am getting my tracer delivered this week, so I am wondering if it is worth giving them a call to see if they can do this work before delivery Smile

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crappy fuelling is probably compounded by the Akra pipes. Getting it mapped should help a lot there.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Crappy fuelling is probably compounded by the Akra pipes. Getting it mapped should help a lot there.

On that, how does one go about getting a remap? Is it a case of buying a "chip" that contains the fix and replacing it on the bike or does it need a dyno session?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: My MT09 Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Val wrote:

How would one go about doing this. Just calling a dealer and asking for the throttle fix?

Is it an ECU re-flash? Is if free to get done and has it made a big difference. I am getting my tracer delivered this week, so I am wondering if it is worth giving them a call to see if they can do this work before delivery Smile

I have asked the dealer when they have booked me for the recall, yes it is ECU re-flash, and they have done for free for me. Not sure what is oficial Yamaha position on that.

Definitely worths giving them a call and asking them is the ECU fixed. I believe it has been done for some newer bikes already.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
Pete. wrote:

On that, how does one go about getting a remap? Is it a case of buying a "chip" that contains the fix and replacing it on the bike or does it need a dyno session?

My understanding is some places re-flash your existing ECU unit, you send it by post and get it back ready.

Having said that I've heard good dyno technician can fine tune your setup even without re-flash.

Finally some places do both - ECU re-flash and dyno tuning.

And there is a device called power commander that can change your ECU and have more tuning capabilities.

After reading a lot about it I have decided my standard ECU with the Yamaha re-flash is fine Laughing

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

After reading a lot about it I have decided my standard ECU with the Yamaha re-flash is fine Laughing

I think the same. So do I just call any dealer and they would do this free of charge? Is it a Yamaha mod that has been announced? i.e. s there a Yamaha announcement that I can show a dealer?

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rang my local Yam dealer but they're closed today. Will try again tomorrow.

PS. I haven't got my V5 yet, any other way to get hold of the VIN for my bike?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tune by post is wank, the proper way to do it is to get it on the dyno with an operator that knows what they are doing. It ain't cheap, but it's cheaper than an Akro Very Happy

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
Just rang my local Yam dealer but they're closed today. Will try again tomorrow.

PS. I haven't got my V5 yet, any other way to get hold of the VIN for my bike?

Read it off the bike's vin plate?

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

obviously Embarassed

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Val wrote:

I think the same. So do I just call any dealer and they would do this free of charge? Is it a Yamaha mod that has been announced? i.e. s there a Yamaha announcement that I can show a dealer?

I am not able to find any oficial recall documents from Yamaha about it, here is a list of dealers that do the official Yamaha MT-09 ECU flash:

https://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/mt-09-technical/1829-uk-dealerships-ecu-flash-list.html

As I have said mine The Motorcycle Shop, Lynchford Road, Farnborough have done it free of charge. Obviously you need to ask your dealer.

TheArchitect wrote:
Pete. wrote:

obviously Embarassed

If you turn your front wheel to the left you will see shiny white metal VIN plate lurking there on the right top side. The VIN number is also stamped there into the steering head pipe.

17 characters starts with JY J for Japan and Y for Yamaha.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: My MT09 Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
The seat for me is a bit odd in that I keep sliding forward to the narrow bit which then puts my gems under a bit of pressure. Not a major issue but one I might fix if funds allow.

Your post got me thinking. I am sliding too.

You slide because there is a dip. Makes it easier to get your foots flat. Now I am 6 feet tall and don't need that.

Apparently there is street/sport rally seat. Raises the seat height considerably and you can sit wherever you like without sliding forward. Completely eliminates the dip and it is cheaper then the so called Yamaha comfort seat, which still has slight dip to make it lower and costs £239. This one is flat and cost £110.

Part numbers:

1RC247C0-20-00
1RC-247C0-41-00
1RC-247C0-21-00

Hope that helps. I will be getting one soon Laughing

You can see 3 optional seat types here:

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/accessories/genuine-options/comfort/flat-seat/1RC-247C0-21-00/details.acc

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

I am not able to find any oficial recall documents from Yamaha about it, here is a list of dealers that do the official Yamaha MT-09 ECU flash:

https://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/mt-09-technical/1829-uk-dealerships-ecu-flash-list.html

As I have said mine The Motorcycle Shop, Lynchford Road, Farnborough have done it free of charge. Obviously you need to ask your dealer.

Thank you. I may have to get in contact with them as they are only about 40 mins away.

So, have you noticed any differences in the bike, both good and bad?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Val wrote:

Thank you. I may have to get in contact with them as they are only about 40 mins away.

So, have you noticed any differences in the bike, both good and bad?

Yes before the ECU flash the bike was almost impossible to ride on a bumpy road in A or STD modes. I was riding it all the time on B mode.

After the flash the bike is much better. I ride it now all the time on STD and even switch to A mode sometimes.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Yes before the ECU flash the bike was almost impossible to ride on a bumpy road in A or STD modes. I was riding it all the time on B mode.

After the flash the bike is much better. I ride it now all the time on STD and even switch to A mode sometimes.

Thank you. Ill see what I can do, if not Ill contact the one you went too Smile

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions lol.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:22 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

F**k me I've never seen Val being helpful before, was he always like this before Brexit happened? Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:22 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those seats won't fit the tracer though.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: My MT09 Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Val wrote:

I'm wondering if this is going to be A Thing.

Release a bike with snatchy over-lean fuelling to scam emissions, then have dealers "fix" it at the first service, knowing that there are no in-service emissions checks.

Fine with me, if so.

Xsr has the non snatchy map from new, and less boingomatic front suspension.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rang my local Yam dealer. Turns out they don't work on anything bigger than a 125 as they're a small outfit mainly doing sales.

Now have to trek it to saff london.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2