Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clothing Minefield...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:33 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Clothing Minefield... Reply with quote

Hi Folks

I have a 125 in the garage, and CBT on Saturday... If I pass OK, I'll want to start riding but need the gear. Motorbike jeans, gloves etc seem ok, but jackets especially is an overwhelming market...

I'll be a fair weather rider and hot at the mo - so will a lightweight textile with mesh be fine, or am I better splashing out on a decent leather..? Don't want to melt, but equally don't want to have too buy a second jacket straight away if make the wrong choice... help!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Clothing Minefield... Reply with quote

SkaDad wrote:
If I pass OK....

Minor pedantic point but decent information anyway; there's nothing to pass on a CBT. You just get trained until you've received adequate basic training. You'll be fine I'm sure; but don't get hung up if it takes you more than one bite of the cherry, as it does a lot of people.

SkaDad wrote:
I'll be a fair weather rider and hot at the mo - so will a lightweight textile with mesh be fine, or am I better splashing out on a decent leather..? Don't want to melt, but equally don't want to have too buy a second jacket straight away if make the wrong choice... help!

You will almost invariably get your first biking kit wrong. It's par for the course. You will get to know what works / doesn't work for you after a bit of time on the roads. Don't sweat it too much (excusing the pun) - just get what you can realistically grab for not a lot of cash now and worry about what you really want later once you've worked out what you need.

Aldi do good bike jeans nice and cheap. Worth a look.

Jacket wise it is a mine-field. I would suggest if you're going to fair-weather-only it for a while then go textile and get something that's got removable liners so that you're not boiling in a bag. Make sure it's got at least pockets for armour - and if it comes with armour that it's at least the CE approved stuff. If it's got no armour then not to worry too much; shoulder, elbow and back pads can be had for circa £50 the lot for half decent kit and you can transfer those into other jackets later on if you wish.

Ideally look for a jeans and jacket combo that can be zipped together. Sometimes the jeans come with a zipped edge around the back about 6-8 inches long which you then sew the other edge to your jacket with. Be fine as long as you've got a decent tailor close by who can double stitch well - but a bit of a PITA in the meantime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Clothing Minefield... Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Aldi do good bike jeans nice and cheap. Worth a look.

Not all the time, you can tell when they're in by the queue of bikers outside Smile I'm still on my original gear. Bought a fairly cheap (Spada) textile jacket which has been fine, just remove the liner in the summer. Same with the boots, Kevlar jeans. My original pair of Lidl gloves are still going, but they're getting a bit worn out now.

What I'm trying to say is you don't have to a) spend a fortune or b) buy multiple times. Only mistake I made was purchasing a pair of Oxford textile trousers, they were so hot and uncomfortable I put the tag back on and returned them Embarassed

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:03 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - really useful. Loads of good tips arry. I'll leave splashing out on a cool leather until I know what I need and avoid spending too much for now.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Clothing Minefield... Reply with quote

arry wrote:

You will almost invariably get your first biking kit wrong. It's par for the course. You will get to know what works / doesn't work for you after a bit of time on the roads. Don't sweat it too much (excusing the pun) - just get what you can realistically grab for not a lot of cash now and worry about what you really want later once you've worked out what you need.

Arry, not 100% sure I agree with this. It also massively depends on how much use OP has for a bike, how interested they are, and if they are a seasoned die hard commuter, or just a social bike rider, or just want to get around on the cheap, or want to get bikes out of thier system/ tick off bucket list etc.

Your post comes across more as welcome to the life long brother hood of live to ride, and that bad kit decisions are like a right of passage. It also implies that people will also always get better at finding the best most appropriate and useful kit with experience and age.

I'd say that ain't the case for many. I know plenty of people in 40's> who have and do buy bikes and kit based on looks, fads, cool factor and because their mate has got one etc.

There's a good case in point for talking to OP like he is automatically definitely going to be one of BCF's forever all weather commuters and will need to lap up practical advice and fight the ongoing battle, of comfortable/warm/dry/well protected and well seen kit for the next decade or so.

But there's people on here that have had bike licences for 20years, and might take 20years to cover their next 20'000miles. Some of them don't even wear proper kit, and some that do have specific reasons why they buy what they do, (colour matches bike and all that shit).

To OP I wouldn't sweat it too much, you can only know what you need your gear for and what you like and can afford. The rest ain't worth worrying over, and there's no magic formula to the perfect jacket etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Clothing Minefield... Reply with quote

SkaDad wrote:

I'm a fan of mesh jackets in the summer but I can't recommend them as your only jacket.
There are plenty of textile jackets with air vent pockets which will be good most of the time.

If and when you decide that you'll be a biker long-term then consider stuff like mesh summer jackets (and buy them out of season when they're on sale).

You'll need to find a decent bike-gear shop to see what size kit you need (There's little comparison to non-bike-gear sizing) even if you end up buying on-line.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Clothing Minefield... Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
]

Arry, not 100% sure I agree with this. It also massively depends on .......

.....everything. exactly, which is why I dealt with the question rather than the what if.

Question was what do I buy now. Answer was buy what you need now and work out what you want later. Whether that be the kit your mate had, or leathers colour coordinated and branded to your chosen bike, you'll work that bit out later.

If he's not gonna be a biker forever then some stuff for now that will do the trick is the answer to the question. Not sweating it if he doesn't go any further as it's not a huge investment.

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:16 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at 'numberworth' on ebay (I think they are a well known dealers outlet - Fowlers of Bristol?). I got a very decent Weise jacket for £39 delivered.

or if you've more cash then the triumph outlet web site.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesh jackets get cold on even the warmest summer night. I couldn't live with one as my only jacket, but I ride in most weather conditions.

Textile with some kind of waterproof membrane would work as (and has often been) an only jacket.

Don't waste money on mesh jackets with removable waterproof liners. They are too fiddly. Simple mesh jacket, waterproof oversuit (or two-piece) and a warm (technical and possibly windproof from a walking/cycling store) jumper are the way to do mesh.

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:48 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks lots of good tips. The only shop round here is v.expensive so online it is.

Took advise about mesh, and ordered a wax jacket - but when it arrived realised that too many zips, clips and buckles was a faff... exchanged for a simpler zip up design.

I dont really know what type or how much biking i'll be doing - while I have aspirations and plans, when I really get going I'll know what I want a bit more I suppose.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarity, when "textile jacket" was discussed above, this meant a made-for-purpose textile motorcycle jacket, with a nylon outer of approx 1600D at impact zones and CE rated armor at the elbows, shoulders possibly back too. The waterproofing on such is from an internal gore-tex/shelltex/hipora breathable membrane. Serviceable examples from the likes of RST retail new at around the £100 mark.

Whilst wax jackets were popular with my riders of my Grandparents' generation, they're even falling out of favor from all but the most conservative and green-wellied clay, hunting and social clubs. They're heavy, high-maintenance and provide very little protection in a fall.

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:10 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - all good points, I should have been clearer. It was a motorbike waxed jacket - Richa 'scrambler'. Great retro styling with all modern protection - but I think on the bike, I want simplicity of a zip and the retro buckle collar would grow old very quickly...

NB gone for something cheaper and simpler...

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:50 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first jacket should be a plain black leather, big enough to wear a jumper underneath. They are sold virtually everywhere.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkaDad wrote:
The only shop round here is v.expensive so online it is.

Your location says Salisbury, the mega motorcycle store in Swindon is huge and well priced, get your arse there.

I'm guessing the shop you are on about is Hayballs..... they are a dealership all their clothing is stupidly over priced.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another thread, I wrote:
The wife just has just bought from eBay :-

Spada textile jacket £10, new price about £90
Revit textile jeans £10, new price about £100
Sidi boots £20, new price about £160
Sidi leather trousers £7.50, new price about £250

All lightly used/never worn. That's about £600 quids worth of stuff for £47.50. I bought my leather jacket (hardly worn) from a car boot for £35, my textile jacket (new, embroidery error reject) for £15. You don't need to spend a lot, just shop around and spend wisely.

Still holds Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:00 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Your location says Salisbury, the mega motorcycle store in Swindon is huge and well priced, get your arse there.

Good advice - I'd heard that before but am inherently lazy... No substitute for trying stuff on in a shop - JTS want me to pay to return a jacket!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1