Not interested in overpriced fanboy tat
61%
 61%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 34

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
If you're going to steal the game ROMS, why bother with the official console, when there is RetroPie and crap loads of emulators for Linux/Win/Mac, ... even Android and the original PSP plays PSX games as well?

Plug in a PS3/4 controller, enjoy OR get the original controller USB replica for next to nothing. Note, all the PSX games are very playable on a Xbox 360/One controllers as well.

Not to even mention that anything will have much better performance and features (audio/video improvements)

See my Pi Zero thread Smile I like the overall experience of the Snes Mini, it's the best emulation experience I've had so far (that includes PC and android), what I'd want is something more powerful with a similar user-friendly experience.

I might end up getting a Pi 3 or something further down the line, part of me trying to get the Pi working was I mulling over selling my Snes mini if it turned out to be a worthy replacement (on paper it looks like it might).

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Anyone got a Playstation classic? Apparently those who have already modded their systems (it's early days) are experiencing issues with various Playstation games.

I was contemplating getting one if it was a lot more powerful than the Snes mini but it doesn't sound like it is?

No Tomb raider
No Gran Tourismo

Fuck. That.

ಠ_ಠ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
No Tomb raider
No Gran Tourismo

Fuck. That.

It looks fairly easy to mod, I like that you can plug a USB drive into one of the controller ports (obviously no good if you have friends), rather than messing around with USB OTG cables like with the SNES.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I get your point, but I must say that Sony has failed. They use open source PCSX emulator, with all the extra features turned off (audio/video improvements, image filters...). So you get the worst experience possible. Sure, the case of the console is nice, the controllers feel genuine, but that's about it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
They use open source PCSX emulator

That adds more fuel to the Nintendo/Microsoft (soon Sega) are purely monetising other peoples hard work, when it comes to the emulation/rom scene argument. AFAIK Nintendo at least had their own emulator.

I don't want to sound like someone buying a car cos it looks pretty, but a Pi with a load of adapters sticking out of it does look a bit shit compared to...

https://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/15/13/82/47/img_2012.jpg

...much cheaper tho.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't you heard about the NesPi? Smile

https://learcnc.rexkal.com/ebay/dbres/59afe1b8c5046a06486deec9/1504703196307-LEARCNC-NESPI-CASE-BANNER-TPL.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft SuperPi case or GTFO Smile

https://averagemaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/SuperPi-Power.gif

I would probably go for a MegaPi case just cos it's the console of that era I coveted most Shifty

https://images.hotukdeals.com/threads/content/a0ohw/3124287.jpg

EDIT: I'll admit the SNES looks better

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the NesPi the best case out there. The buttons and LED work, the placement of USB ports is perfect and they hide the rest of the I/O behind the cartridge door and the HDMi comes out from the back. Throw in some replica NES/SNES USB controllers with same scan lines filter on the screen and the illusion is near perfect.

Feck, I'm buying one! Razz

EDIT: They don't have it in my ''local'' rpishop. Mad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:32 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the SNES runs PS1 games better than the Playstation classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol12g5GxI7Y Smile

FWIW I thought PS1 games looked shocking on the SNES, then I tried a few on my PS3 and they looked just as bad. I obviously forgot how bad (graphically) they were.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a PS classic Embarassed Just over £40 but I had some Nectar points so it cost me under £25. If it's any good I'll sell my SNES mini.

Just what I needed another console...

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the neo-geo one, as it no longer costs like a years wages to have one and some games
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd write a mini review for the Playstation Classic in case anyone's interested...

Design - I always thought the original Playstation was a bit ugly, but somehow making it smaller has made it more aesthetically pleasing. The case is fantastic although the buttons feel a bit cheap. The controllers are fantastic but obviously don't have analog sticks.

Software - by now everyone knows it's crap, so I'll go into the modding side. It's early days but you can add additional Playstation games with Bleemsync and there's a beta version of retroarch. You need a compatible USB stick but it can plug straight into the controller port (they're standard USB). From the few PS1 games I've tried compatibility seemed ok but not everything works.

Retroarch seems to be the standard software, again it's beta but you get a choice as to what you boot into:
https://modmyclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/psc_bootmenu-300x169.png
What I really liked about the SNES mini was the integration into the Nintendo UI and how it handles save states etc., so this is a negative for me, but for some people it might be a positive. I believe they plan to integrate it into Bleemsync but I'm not sure if that'll mean you can use the systems UI.

Overall is it worth it? No. It might evolve into something better but at the moment everything feels very beta, even the original software. Once you get over the fear of flashing a SNES mini it's actually simpler than modding a PS Classic*, and 'retro' games look better, with less resolution issues etc.. PS1 games look better on the Playstation classic which might be down to filters used by the *coughs* 'Sony' emulator.

*Still simpler than a Raspberry Pi though Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3