Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stopping nail biting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Stopping nail biting Reply with quote

I quit smoking. I quit alcohol. I quit meat.
I quit many other things.

But stopping biting my nails appears to be just too bloody much for me.

Anyone had the plague and managed to stop it? Any good tips?

I have got a lot better, and basically leave the cuticle alone now at least, but any stress/boredom and I will be filing these bastards down flush and it makes me look like a mental.

Tips?

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove nails and stop being such a quitter.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop and Grow.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used nail varnish. Didn't want to bite varnished nails. I went from total biter to talon-tastic Smile
this was the 80's, I am woman. Blokes can wear varnish too Razz

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop using toilet paper and you'll soon stop biting your nails.

Or... Just stop doing it. I used to chew mine and eventually I just stopped myself every time I absent-mindedly raised my finger to my mouth. I haven't done it for a couple of decades now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:29 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Stopping nail biting Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
I quit smoking. I quit alcohol. I quit meat.

Ask your boyfriend if you can stick your fingers up his bumhole. That should deter you.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

Only thing that stopped me in over 50 years of nailbiting was having acrylic ones put on. Tried all that other shite, nothing worked. I have always bitten my nails, and often completely unconsciously.

I had them removed once, my nails underneath were nice and long, albeit quite fragile. But I was back nibbling them within 24 hours, and in less than a week they were all chewed off again.

Apparently you are encouraged to eat gelatine to strengthen the natural ones once they are grown in and if you can manage not to start biting them again (uh oh, animal products, I understand you've gone full vegan hippy on that front?)

Falsies in general are so hard that you can't bite them off at all, sometimes if you get a good technician who puts on all the right stuff, you can't even scrape off the varnish with your teeth.

I have them done every couple of weeks and keep them quite short and normal looking (none of that coffin or stiletto looking chav shite) so that I can type, but usually a scandalous shade of red.

But obvs its a bit more difficult for fellas to get away with that*.

Perhaps you could have short nails done in a plain style, just clear lacquer Laughing to get you started. Once your nails have grown underneath, have them melted off and see if you can stop yourself from biting them (I totally couldn't)

You just have to commit to the cost of having them regularly infilled until they are long enough. An angle grinder is not an option Shocked

When they are growing out you can see the gap where your natural nail is, which is then "infilled" with acrylic each time you go back, and if you don't go regularly they are inclined to get quite long, the bigger the natural nail is below, the longer the falsies are. I can tell when they need doing aside from the bigger natural nail gap, I keep making typos cos the nails hiit the wrong keys, or they hit them twice and I don't notice.

Got to admit, getting used to arse-wiping with them was interesting, and certainly lessened my unconscious attempts to try and scrape the nail varnish off with my teeth, until I got the hang of a different method of arse-wiping (and keeping them shorter helps Laughing ) .

*I think Rogerborg has a false-nails fetish, as he seems to have picked up on me having my nails done, although whether it is a slutty red nails fetish, or the idea of little chirpy Thai ladies bowed submissively over my hands, I am not quite sure which is his ACTUAL fetish.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.kikocosmetics.com/en-gb/product/No-More-Biting-Nail-Lacquer/p-KM0040201400033?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7pHLBRDqARIsAFyKPa5R20kPTGThajzOg_co_Ld2eSfXdvLYyGCVvjp_JXryzxqmuhm5tdIaAnSSEALw_wcB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note gap of natural nail between cuticle and red nail, equals about 4 weeks growth, infill usually costs between £13-£25, depending on whereabouts you go.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:15 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a job on a farm. You'll soon stop.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this (and still do occasionally) but found that keeping a small pair of nail clippers on me made a difference.
My issue was that once I'd bitten some then I'd continue nibbling in an effort to smooth the nail out, but having clippers in my pocket I'd tidy the nails straight away which stopped the nibbling.
It often stopped the first bite as that was after I'd caught a nail on something and was trying to smooth that bit off.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:57 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I think Rogerborg has a false-nails fetish, as he seems to have picked up on me having my nails done, although whether it is a slutty red nails fetish, or the idea of little chirpy Thai ladies bowed submissively over my hands, I am not quite sure which is his ACTUAL fetish.

Now I'm thinking about you sporting a falsie so hard that teeth can't make a mark on it.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a bad dose of flu.
Ever since I got quite ill with it last year, I haven't bitten mine.
Can't explain it but it sure is handy for playing geetar.
I don't actually like having long finger nails tbh, so they get clipped regularly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Get a job on a farm. You'll soon stop.

Aye, that was one period I didnt Laughing

Carrying round nail clippers helped too, but need to really have a set up desk/office which I struggle with at the moment for some reasons. I do keep a set knocking about, but also worried about how rude absent mindedly clipping nails in others company is as well...

Might try to pick up some clear nail varnish. Aim is to stop by October.

Any other tips, other then Klingons :o

Acrylics is just far too much maintenance for a slob like me m'dear, but thanks for the idea.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aversion therapy, courtesy of BCF at the BBQ.

Anyone who spots you with you digit in your mouth is allowed to dispense instant justice by making you eat a charcoal briquette.

You'd be cured in a single weekend.

Bonus feature is that I'd enjoy watching that Cool Cool

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to stop out of interest?

It has to be one of the least offensive and irritating habits.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

Anyone who spots you with you digit in your mouth is allowed to dispense instant justice by making you eat a charcoal briquette.

You'd be cured in a single weekend.

Bonus feature is that I'd enjoy watching that Cool Cool

Just because I am a vegetarian, doesn't mean I fight like one Wink

Conan, it is pretty inoffensive you're right... however, it does seem to give out a poor impression to others, especially if you absent mindedly do it in meetings etc.

Plus one look at your fingers and people know, even if you can control yourself not to.

I'll get there Thumbs Up

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Carrying round nail clippers ....worried about how rude absent mindedly clipping nails in others company is as well...

So you don't think the absent minded nibbling of your nails is rude?
(it is).

Don't be 'absent minded' over such things.
Keep a set in your pocket and at the first opportunity go to the W.C. and trim the offending nail(s).

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

So you don't think the absent minded nibbling of your nails is rude?
(it is).

Figured as much

Quote:

Keep a set in your pocket and at the first opportunity go to the W.C. and trim the offending nail(s).

Will try again with that. Probably just generally a nice alternative to reading the newspaper whilst in there Laughing

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 20:54 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a terrible habit. The problem I have is that I don't even know I'm doing it, so when I finally click what I'm doing, im usually bleeding :rolleyes:

I suspect hypnotherapy or something radical would be the only way to cure it for me personally.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Quote:

Will try again with that. Probably just generally a nice alternative to reading the newspaper whilst in there Laughing

You won't need to spend more than 10 seconds trimming a rough nail, so It shouldn't impinge on your news gathering time Wink

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
I have a terrible habit.
The problem I have is that I don't even know I'm doing it, so when I finally click what I'm doing, im usually bleeding :rolleyes:
I suspect hypnotherapy or something radical would be the only way to cure it for me personally.

If you're talking about biting your nails..... or pretty much anything that can end in 'bleeding' without knowing you're doing it, then you definately need to urgently talk to a doctor.
As that suggests some underlying serious issue.

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

If you're talking about biting your nails..... or pretty much anything that can end in 'bleeding' without knowing you're doing it, then you definately need to urgently talk to a doctor.

You'd probably benefit from a trip too if you're always this overly dramatic.

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

Acrylics is just far too much maintenance for a slob like me m'dear, but thanks for the idea.

Laughing me too, that's why I have such big infill gaps between sessions Laughing

Re Klingons, for the first few weeks after you (somehow) start to get your nails to grow, you might like to try wrapping each finger individually in loo paper. I took up breaking off several single pieces of loo paper, wrapping the most at-risk fingers in them and then commencing the traditional part of the wiping sequence. Only took a couple of weeks to adjust to a more suitable methodology Wink

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:

You'd probably benefit from a trip too if you're always this overly dramatic.

I'm impressed that you think chewing anything until it bleeds isn't something to worry about, let alone doing it unknowingly...
You must be ultra tough... Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 283 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2