Stopping nail biting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:02 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Aversion therapy, courtesy of BCF at the BBQ.

Anyone who spots you with you digit in your mouth is allowed to dispense instant justice by making you eat a charcoal briquette.

You'd be cured in a single weekend.

Bonus feature is that I'd enjoy watching that Cool Cool

even better they will be sheep in the field during the week Laughing Laughing

charchol is a bit hard
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely no help to OP whatsoever, but I'm 43 now and I've known people all my life that have bitten their nails... and it's something I never understood why they done it. I didn't have any nail clippers years ago and tried it once when my nails were a bit too long..... I got through 1 finger and went straight out and bought some clippers. Now I will tear the flat apart if I can't find them (usually to find they are on the coffee table or something).

Mind you, it could be worse for the OP at meetings, they could be picking and flicking nose gold Sick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:48 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a nail biter for as long as I can remember. But have recently (6 months) managed to dial it back massively. To the point where you will still see me biting occasionally, but my nails actually look normal Very Happy

My main gripe has always been to bite/remove any imperfections which would just go on and on until the nail was bitten all the way back.

The thing that worked for me has been clear nail varnish (gel actually), you'll have very shiny nails Laughing but not many people notice.
This works on two levels for me:
Firstly every time I raise my hands to my mouth I see the varnish, which is a reminder to stop what I'm about to do.
Secondly, the varnish (especially the gel stuff) is strong. It generally stops chips/snags from happening meaning I have no reason to bite that nail in the first place.

I also keep a nail file in my desk drawer, which gets used rarely, but helps occasionally. It's better to file it back than bite it off.

I used to be embarrassed about my nails, and would avoid people seeing them. Now I'm quite pleased with how they look.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop and grow! Paint it on like nail varnish and then the moment you put your fingernail anywhere near your gob you get a godawful taste in your mouth and it really stops you wanting to nibble

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:
Stop and grow! Paint it on like nail varnish and then the moment you put your fingernail anywhere near your gob you get a godawful taste in your mouth and it really stops you wanting to nibble

As some mad fool just bought a fuel tank from me and I have spare Paypal moneys, I shall give it a go.

I think I may have crossed paths with the vile stuff before.

Fingers crossed Laughing

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:50 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a nail-biter, but I also pick at the skin around the nail, particularly on my thumbs, to the extent that it bleeds.
I go through stages where my skin is scabby and horrible, and then times when its better.

Its always a case of "I'll just pick off this tiny flappy bit", which progresses to peeling off a strip of skin down to my knuckle.

Leading up to my wedding I made a special effort to leave them alone, and coupled with how much planning and stuff I was doing I guess I didn't have idle time to sit picking my skin.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

So, I found a solution.

My mother's hobby is manicuring and pedicuring, and so she did me a full manicure... fixed cuticles and everything.

And then I've been using a manicure set, kept on my desk for idle moments, and putting on lavender oil for cuticles and a lavender oil nail varnish thing too.

Have really not bitten them for 2-3 weeks. Nails like talons now.

What reminded me to post in this thread was nearly ripping one off when playing Jungle Speed just now. Surprisingly painful Laughing

Anyway, for those searching. Get manicure set. Get manicure. Try to keep them not shit. Thumbs Up

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Tamsin wrote:

As some mad fool just bought a fuel tank from me and I have spare Paypal moneys, I shall give it a go.

I think I may have crossed paths with the vile stuff before.

Fingers crossed Laughing

This stuff is fucking useless, by the way.

I found some reduced randomly, and gave it a go.

Could still eat, but gave me a headache quickly. Not well enough to associate the two, sadly.

However, it transferred to ANYTHING I was eating.

Not good.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2