Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

No more F1 at Silverstone?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: No more F1 at Silverstone? Reply with quote

For anyone interested: Linky

So there have been rumours about this for a while but they seem to have activated the break clause now. Wondered what peoples thoughts are?.

-Timing of it?
-Do you think it will happen, or is it just a play for a new deal to be reached, forcing Libertys hand/ trying to get some government funding?
-If it does end up not hosting F1, where in England will take over? Donington maybe?

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 16:21 - 11 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: No more F1 at silverstone? Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
For anyone interested: Linky

So there have been rumours about this for a while but they seem to have activated the break clause now. Wondered what peoples thoughts are?.

-Timing of it?
-Do you think it will happen, or is it just a play for a new deal be reached, forcing Libertys hand/ trying to get some government funding?
-If it does end up not hosting F1, where in England will take over? Donington maybe?

I think that's it. For a while at least.

If liberty are seen to re negotiate a better deal, then all the circuits will follow Silverstones example, and they won't want that!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt Donington would jump in after what happened last time (they got their track torn up and lost Moto GP (and never hosted F1)). All the European circuits are struggling to run races at a loss, I hope they'll be renegotiated now Bernie isn't there squeezing every penny (out of the sport), but a lot of venues are bailing (Malaysia, China and I think Singapore's in doubt).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. I have never liked F1 as a spectacle since the 80's. It's a boring procession. Christ, I complain enough about MotoGP and in comparison F1 is utter snoresville.

No other circuit is going to jump in. If Silverstone can't make it pay, no one else is unless it's the Welsh track Laughing

I know, the IOM F1 race Thumbs Up

Lets see Hamilton shitting himself when he gets to Ballagarey corner.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Good. I have never liked F1 as a spectacle since the 80's.

When did you last spectate?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Good. I have never liked F1 as a spectacle since the 80's.

When did you last spectate?

The one and only time I have physically been to an F1 was Singapore and I spent more time watching a big screen than the track.

Other than that I have spectated via that amazing creation, television. You might have heard of it. Somehow it makes the race more exciting than it really is Wink

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me BSB anyday. Mind you, Moto GP is getting interesting again.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know MotoGP's a better spectator sport, but I still probably prefer F1 Shifty

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would any track want, the borefest that is F1?
TV audiences dwindling, as are the punters who cough up cash monies for tickets
Apart from the fact that there is very little profit in it for the venue, the cars literally destroy the track surfacing. The huge downforces involved combined with the braking forces push the tarmac and cause ripples in it.
Apart from that, there's the fact that it simply isn't a "spectacle" anymore, the rules are so contrived, it just isn't actual racing anymore!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I know MotoGP's a better spectator sport, but I still probably prefer F1 Shifty

Wash your mouth out with soap! Wasted

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the banger racing on Live TV. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:39 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
TV audiences dwindling, as are the punters who cough up cash monies for tickets

Silverstone are still advertising hospitality packages for sale. That's a concerning sign.

https://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/the-ultimate-formula-1-experience/

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's annoying, as I get a Silverstone ticket through work, but I guess they can't afford Bernie's 5% year on year rise. What baffles me is why they signed up for that in the first place.

I think it'll be renegotiated and re-signed at some point after next year's race. It won't be so soon as to give other circuits any ideas but not so late that Silverstone aren't ready to get selling tickets for the 'first' race.

Silverstone hold a bit of an ace, in that there are no other FIA approved F1 category tracks in the British Isles, plus it's the home country of Formula 1. I'm sure Liberty Media will want there to be British GP in the future.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:54 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no future, there is only #Brexit.

I'm actually surprised this hasn't been floated yet as a culprit.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
It's annoying, as I get a Silverstone ticket through work, but I guess they can't afford Bernie's 5% year on year rise. What baffles me is why they signed up for that in the first place.

I think it came off the back of the failed race at Donginton. As I recall it was basically being run by Adam Aarons, they signed up for an absurd 17 year contract and nearly bankrupted Donington Park.

The whole thing pissed me off as they wrecked Silverstone with the changes for MotoGP (when it was an entertaining race at Donington).

Edit: on F1 news they've got a thing going on in London: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2017/7/f1-live---all-the-latest-from-the-london-show.html I bet it's going to be heaving like back when they did it in '04. Went to a Sauber F1 demo in Kensington Gardens/2006 that was good, those things vibrate your entire rib cage when they go past Smile

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Good. I have never liked F1 as a spectacle since the 80's. It's a boring procession. Christ, I complain enough about MotoGP and in comparison F1 is utter snoresville.

No other circuit is going to jump in. If Silverstone can't make it pay, no one else is unless it's the Welsh track Laughing

I know, the IOM F1 race Thumbs Up

Lets see Hamilton shitting himself when he gets to Ballagarey corner.

The welsh track is dead, The welsh gov were going in 50-50 on the funding for it but they asked for proof of funding for the other 50% and the other track investors couldn't provide the evidence so its a no go. unless someone finds £400m in a kit bag Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:49 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

At what point does the cost of F1 tickets get so high that it becomes impossible for too many people?

All the best

Katy

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

At what point does the cost of F1 tickets get so high that it becomes impossible for too many people?

All the best

Katy

Silverstone seems to have the largest crowd, which must put them in a strong position.
https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/02/15/what-race-attendance-figures-tell-us-about-the-state-of-f1/
It seems crazy that circuits have to pay to host F1 races. It would be mad if the taxpayer subsidised the circuit so the rich boys of F1 would race there.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Kickstart wrote:
Hi

All the best

Katy

Silverstone seems to have the largest crowd, which must put them in a strong position.
https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/02/15/what-race-attendance-figures-tell-us-about-the-state-of-f1/
It seems crazy that circuits have to pay to host F1 races. It would be mad if the taxpayer subsidised the circuit so the rich boys of F1 would race there.

i haven't read the linked article but some circuits around the world do get subsidies from the state to host the events.
Laguna Seca was one for MotoGP, however the local economy got more back in return. The state of California eventually stopped the funding it and that's why it lost the right to host the event.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam_ wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

i haven't read the linked article but some circuits around the world do get subsidies from the state to host the events.
Laguna Seca was one for MotoGP, however the local economy got more back in return. The state of California eventually stopped the funding it and that's why it lost the right to host the event.

I think most F1 races are subsidised or run at a loss. It's insane Formula 1 would effectively play Russian roulette with its future, but they're banking on the prestige of hosting F1 being enough.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:52 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam_ wrote:
some circuits around the world do get subsidies from the state to host the events.

Ostensibly, all of them but Silverstone.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero taxpayer funding should be provided. Get Bernie to sell his 11th yacht. The ONLY case in which I could consider a small contribution from the state is if the foreign aid budget could be reduced by 90% somehow.

Rogerborg wrote:
There is no future, there is only #Brexit.

I'm actually surprised this hasn't been floated yet as a culprit.

And once again revolutionary communists who love the EU will line up with billionaire Bernie to proclaim what he good European he is. Their principles are so cheap.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically it's not Bernie, liberty media have given him a token job but he isn't running the show anymore. When he was asked about races dropping off the calendar Bernie said well I've done well for the shareholders. Too early to tell whether the new owners will be any different.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Technically it's not Bernie, liberty media have given him a token job but he isn't running the show anymore. When he was asked about races dropping off the calendar Bernie said well I've done well for the shareholders. Too early to tell whether the new owners will be any different.

Just needed a target, Bernie was sufficient Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed Wink

M.C wrote:
Technically it's not Bernie, liberty media have given him a token job but he isn't running the show anymore. When he was asked about races dropping off the calendar Bernie said Dribble, look at my wifes tits. All you mugs have paid for that. Couldn't care less about the races now.. Too early to tell whether the new owners will be any different.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2