Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car Insurance?!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Car Insurance?! Reply with quote

Looking at getting a banger as a 2nd car when i cant be arsed to get soaking wet on my Bandit or pedal bike.

I passed my driving test in 2003, i had one claim (50/50 fault) in 2006.

car im being quoted on is worth £300 (ford focus) annual mileage of 3,000 its £1800 fully comp

3rd part is £2842

what the funk has happened!?

my Bandit insurance is only £120 per year
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i thought it might be down to being an older car, so looked at a Ford KA 2007

annual mileage 1,000

SDC

car value £500

£1720

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Bangers' cost more to insure. Try something worth say 2 grand+. Also your claim that far back won't be a factor.

Generally car insurance's a massive massive scam though. Thankfully we're somewhat sheltered from it on bikes, not entirely sure why though.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:38 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2001 Peugeot 206 2.0 diesel - £730 FC.
2009 Honda Civic Type R - £384 FC.

Da fuck.

My older Rover 75 was half the price of an Astra 1.4

Also, lie.

My annual mileage is around 2000 in the car now as I live opposite work.

I still list 8k.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a classic if it's a second car. 20/25years old depending on which insurer's criteria.

On a classic policy, NCB is normally not taken into account, and you don't accrue it either. Mileage is often limited though. Car generally if kept in same condition doesn't depreciate apart from subject to economic conditions.

Parts can be easy or a nightmare, but get something stylish that makes you smile and a good breakdown policy. Life is too short not to, especially if your household has a modern relatively reliable eco box for doing real distance in or all the practical and mundane journeys.

There's probably a qualifying classic out there for everyone too.

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a fake personna with a different name, same year of birth, living in same area but not same address, same job etc and get playing on comparison sights. Don't do it all in your own real name / details as the insurance companys (in my experience) get feckin arsey as every quote you run appears to be saved to your name. To then be held against you when you do take out a policy for the car you buy. Car insurance I think they pick a number, double it and add at least one zero to it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:54 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, we're in quarter 3 now and this is the all important run-up to paying for the Christmas party.

Since Brexit the value of your currency we're spending on your behalf has taken a bit of a battering, especially where those special South American imports are concerned. The Champagne must come from the right region too and the Euro to GBP rates aren't doing so well, so we've had to strengthen reserves.

We can offer you finance though, at 140% APR - our friends the bankers are in the same pickle.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it comes down to having a history of car insurance and your home location. Years ago our car was always under my wife's name so she got all the no claims and previous insurance history, and I had that on my bikes.
We then changed and I got a car too, so I insured on the cheaper car to build up my no claims. She's now got maximum no claims and I have a fair few years under my belt.
We own a 2012 4x4 170bhp Yeti, and a 2011 Aygo and combined they are less than £600 fully comp. I'm pretty happy about that... Laughing
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:20 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We changed our insurance from a 2000 Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol worth about £300 to a 2016 Skoda Superb 2.0 Diesel worth about 25K and basically paid an admin fee. Neutral

It makes no sense. as said - get a more valuable car.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
It makes no sense.

Certainly doesn't. I understand the sentiment that if you buy a more valuable car you're likely to take better care of it, but there has to be a point where that's overruled by this is an f'ing expensive car and will cost loads to replace if they crash it.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

New cars are often cheaper to insure as sometimes they are made to be cheaper to repair or fit into a lower insurance group.

Things like Citroën C1/Aygo's are I think group 1/2 insurance where as an early-mid 90's obscure Japanese 1litre city car is a much higher insurance group for the same class and spec of car.

I'd guess that the more popular cars, with the cheapest spare parts and least complicated fitment are the cheapest cars to insure in any given class.

Cars like the first generation BMW Mini, are a nightmare as the bonnet and headlights are all built into one assembly, so your not simply going to replace a cheap light cluster for example.

Also when you take the front bumper off some modern cars things like VAG cars, you'll see how tightly packaged stuff is like PAS coolers, A/C condensers, intercoolers and radiators, and then there's sensors in the bumper, DRL's, temperature and proximity sensors and all sorts of shit.

A low speed frontal shunt could do many ££££'s of damage at new VAG prices for example.

Then there's 25 year old cars like mine, where the manufacturer folded up years ago, and they rotted well like many poorly built 80's& 90's cars. You can't get the body panels new anymore, so if good secondhand parts arnt available, your into making expensive repair sections. Insurance companies would write the car off well before thinking about that though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think new mini's are fairly cheap to insure. I'd have thought older cars would be cheaper as it's easier to replace panels etc., newer cars you tend to compromise the crash structure, which's an issue for the life of the vehicle.

I guess as newer cars come with better security (well in some cases) and city texting collision avoidance bollocks they're in lower insurance groups. Never really found that to be a defining factor with premiums though.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:44 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £540 for my mondeo and with 0 ncb I paid £800 TPFT last year and £440 TPFT this year, both with S,D&P with commuting.

Quote:
“In recent years, drivers with a more 'risky' profile, such as younger motorists or those with driving convictions have opted for this cover to keep the cost of motoring down.

“Providers have reacted to this perceived increase in risk by driving up the cost of third-party only cover.”

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:45 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I think new mini's are fairly cheap to insure. I'd have thought older cars would be cheaper as it's easier to replace panels etc., newer cars you tend to compromise the crash structure, which's an issue for the life of the vehicle.

I guess as newer cars come with better security (well in some cases) and city texting collision avoidance bollocks they're in lower insurance groups. Never really found that to be a defining factor with premiums though.

Cost of the metal is nothing compared to the cost of care for the squidgy bits inside; they're very costly to keep alive once quadraspazzed.

Car insurance is in a bit of an unstable place at the moment due to MoJ reform of discount rate (Ogden). It's made a huge difference to large claims spend.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers I havent had a chance to get more quotes yet, but im thinking of getting a quote with my mrs on it an seeing if that helps

or as a 2nd car on our existing policy for the main car?

Maybe insurance peeps think if you buy a cheap car an plan on doing low mileage your gonna intentionally slam on in front of an artic to claim compo?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Cost of the metal is nothing compared to the cost of care for the squidgy bits inside; they're very costly to keep alive once quadraspazzed.

I was referring to Stevo's point on repair costs but it's an interesting point and one I've been mulling over. Cars are a lot safer and Renault for example have scored well in crash tests for the last 10-15 years (my 10 year old vehicle's 5 star). Does that mean future 'bangers' will be cheaper to insure*?

Also if it's the quadraspazzed risk I don't get why motorbike insurance's still so cheap, surely there's much a greater risk of potatoing your girlfriend on the back of a sports bike, than there's crashing your Clio into a ditch.

*I'm guessing not because scam

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:59 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I understand the sentiment that if you buy a more valuable car you're likely to take better care of it.

You have not met my wife.

On the Mini one front, I got a lift with someone who was a similar age to me and had only had his license a couple of years and he was paying mega money for insurance and couldn't believe how much cheaper my BMW 325 insurance was when I have only had my (car) license since 2012.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:06 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Also if it's the quadraspazzed risk I don't get why motorbike insurance's still so cheap, surely there's much a greater risk of potatoing your girlfriend on the back of a sports bike, than there's crashing your Clio into a ditch.

Very few bikers regularly carry a pillion. I mean, very few bikers with insurance, I except #BakhLayfers.

Every 2nd Daryyyl and Sho'nia crams their Corsa full of screaming yoof and puts it in a ditch within days of passing their test.

That's me thinking back to when I passed and about half of my peer group did have crashes, always with passengers on board. One chap put 5 of us through a hedge within 2 hours of being licensed up. Fun times, fun times.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run my Clio: N515EPU

I pay £400 tpft with 6 points and a fault claim.

Annual mileage is 14k (reality is far less)

Only down as social and domestic though. No commuting.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
M.C wrote:
I understand the sentiment that if you buy a more valuable car you're likely to take better care of it.

You have not met my wife.

On the Mini one front, I got a lift with someone who was a similar age to me and had only had his license a couple of years and he was paying mega money for insurance and couldn't believe how much cheaper my BMW 325 insurance was when I have only had my (car) license since 2012.

Isn't that cos it's a lease Whistle Not checked mini quotes in a while, but they were reasonable enough to consider one, but I was put off by all the ones for sale that seemed to be broken.

Edit: just ran a quote, £850 for a mini when I'm paying a grand for my car currently Shocked That's pretty much as cheap as cage insurance gets for me.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:17 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Isn't that cos it's a lease Whistle

In my mind that makes it more important to look after it on the basis I don't want charging when we give it back.

It's more that she never cleans it etc not that she crashes into anything.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

66 plate Nismo 370Z. Value for first year, £40k.

I also paid £36 pa to increase pay out value by 25% to offset any adjustments.

1 non-fault claim in 2015 and 1 at-fault claim in 2013.

£500 excess (£250 voluntary + £250 compulsory).

Premium £330 Cool

There is something to be said for being an old twat with 30 years of car ownership behind me.

I have definitely cost the insurers of the world more than I've paid in premiums too, so I'm winning at life.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow I could insure the supercharged Cooper S for the same as my boring Volvo. Ok now I'm interested Very Happy

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Also if it's the quadraspazzed risk I don't get why motorbike insurance's still so cheap

Is it still cheap? My renewal quote was £500+ this year Shocked I didn't pay that but still.

It's cheaper for me to insure my 911 than my KTM on a like for like basis (ie including business use).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
M.C wrote:

Also if it's the quadraspazzed risk I don't get why motorbike insurance's still so cheap

Is it still cheap? My renewal quote was £500+ this year Shocked I didn't pay that but still.

It's cheaper for me to insure my 911 than my KTM on a like for like basis (ie including business use).

I get the like for like argument, but I always look at the cheapest quote, as I'd happily insure the car TPO for a decent saving. Typically it's going to be a few hundred for a bike and a grand+ for a car. Also when I checked quotes outside London the bike would have been £100 odd (even with higher levels of cover) to insure, it still seems to be significantly cheaper on two wheels.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2