Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How long does it take to become a good mechanic?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
or having your 13mm spanner welded to the top of the tool chest or all the many many jinks and japes of the work-shop....

If anyone ever did that to me I would politely inform them that they were to replace the toolbox and the spanner. The alternative wouldn't be nice.

In my younger days if someone had done that to me I wouldn't have asked, there would have been instant extreme violence followed by them needing to replace all of their tools which I now owned.

Years ago a friend of mine on a carpentry YTS was threatened in the back of a crew van with jinks and japes, he stabbed the ringleader in the leg with a stanley knife.

Last edited by sickpup on 10:12 - 14 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firm...but fair.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think there's a difference though really between banter and bullying though. Banter can be a laugh or it can wear people down until they give up or fall out.

Bullying is usually threatening behaviour and or physical or possibly verbal abuse.

I've seen both in the workplace and it's usually banter that causes the most friction and grown men fall outs and arguments.

Bullying doesn't and won't last forever generally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banter's normally just your boss being a complete and utter dick, safe in the knowledge you can't really tell them to f**k off.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Banter's normally just your boss being a complete and utter dick, safe in the knowledge you can't really tell them to f**k off.

Bollocks. I had quite a few bosses in the eighties/early nineties that met that criteria and most of them would have welcomed a simple 'fuck off' in place of the string of expletives they'd get from me when I'd had enough.*

*Probably prudent to mention that one should expect to be looking for a new employer when you tell them to stick their job...

terrytibbs
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:33 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
I larned the craft at my Grandad's elbow...

Well thats the nature or nurture debate resolved

Teflon-Mike wrote:

BUT.. where a lot of 'fitters' would look at a 16v Honda CBX550 with a snapped cam-chain and say "Nah! Not worth fixing mate!"

Given the residuals on a CBX550 when even Honda gave up on trying to fix cam chain issues on the dam things, he was right.

Teflon-Mike wrote:
and I spent GAWD knows how long being taught how to hold and use a ruddy flat-file 'properly'!!

I suspect that was just you

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Fitters swap stuff; Technicians know why they swap stuff; Engineers Solve Problems...

Were you a union rep for British Leyland in the 70's?

Teflon-Mike wrote:
welcome to the working week.. welcome to grown up life,

Serious question, are you in full time gainful employment?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
M.C wrote:

Bollocks. I had quite a few bosses a lifetime ago that met that criteria and most of them would have welcomed a simple 'fuck off' in place of the string of expletives they'd get from me when I'd had enough.*

*Probably prudent to mention that one should expect to be looking for a new employer when you tell them to stick their job...

FTFY Wink

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:13 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
The eighties/ early nineties might be before you existed but late teens/twenties are probably the only time in your life when it is acceptable to tell the boss to do one, which is infinitely more preferable to decking them and dealing with the fallout!

On topic and applicable to any job: If you like the work stick with it, working conditions/terms tend to improve as you get older/progress otherwise go try something else, life's too short to spend 40 hours a week in a job you hate.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2