Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Has anyone here done the Darwen Mod 2 test?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:38 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Has anyone here done the Darwen Mod 2 test? Reply with quote

Hi all.

Mod 2 coming up, and I want to be as prepared as possible.

Can anyone who has done this in Darwen give me a few hints of particular areas they got minor faults on so I can keep in mind where I need to focus 150% rather than the usual 100% please?

I'm pretty confident that I'll pass this. I've done plenty of 30 - 40 mile trips over the last 4 months on the 125 in prep for this, both in urban and rural areas, and plenty of NSL back roads and major roads. I'm also having a 6 hour lesson the day before with my instructor in the general Darwen area, but is there anything that's easy to slip up on?

Cheers Wink

Last edited by Mark_UK on 21:07 - 11 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:50 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah just found this from Pinkyfloyd in 2015
Quote:
The main things that can fail you on mod 2 are:

Observations: Even a non biker knows most of these are process and not relative to real world riding but for the test they need done.

Indications: Forgetting to cancel them can and possibly will result in a car pulling out in front of you because they think you are turning when you are not. So leaving them on during a test is a fail.

Road positioning: When you are turning left, get all the way over to the left. Otherwise you are inviting people to come up the inside of you. Even an experienced biker will put himself in the safest position for a junction. I was in the wrong position on a right turn once, Just right of centre, I had a taxi stick it up the outside of me, also turning right. Needless to say the argument was a little colourful but ultimately had we collided it would have hurt me more than him.

That was the kind of thing I was searching for. Cheers fellah if you ever read this Thumbs Up

Edited to add: Hah "search" is a wonderful thing. There's loads of stuff on here so I've edited most of my original post sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:10 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think try to stay calm - dont feel hurried.

If you find yourself in the wrong lane dont panic and switch without lifesavers etc. Remember that not following the directions is NOT a fail so if it isnt safe to get into the correct lane just follow the lane you are in. If it really screws up the route the instructor might ask you to turn round (U turns OK?)

Make sure you do the correct lifesavers on roundabouts. If you are on the outside lane watch for people on the inside coming into you, and vice versa - if in doubt look both sides.

Keep awareness of the speed limits (are there streetlights? repeaters?).

Beware of junctions without markings. I got taken by a railway station with rather odd markings / lack of markings / one way bits.

(disclosure - I'm a noob who passed mod 2 last week)

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:36 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mas101 wrote:
I think try to stay calm - dont feel hurried.

If you find yourself in the wrong lane dont panic and switch without lifesavers etc. Remember that not following the directions is NOT a fail so if it isnt safe to get into the correct lane just follow the lane you are in. If it really screws up the route the instructor might ask you to turn round (U turns OK?)

Make sure you do the correct lifesavers on roundabouts. If you are on the outside lane watch for people on the inside coming into you, and vice versa - if in doubt look both sides.

Keep awareness of the speed limits (are there streetlights? repeaters?).

Beware of junctions without markings. I got taken by a railway station with rather odd markings / lack of markings / one way bits.

(disclosure - I'm a noob who passed mod 2 last week)

Cheers Mas, it's almost like you read my mind Wink One of the bit's I edited out was I get confused with roundabouts, and if I life-saver both ways would that count against me? (Keep wanting to say light-saber)

Also, if a road has speed humps but no 20mph sign at the road you entered it from, do you assume it's a 20?

And congrats on the pass Wink Have you got a big bike yet?

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:13 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ! And Good Luck to you with yours.

Dont see how checking both ways can be a fault (as long as you dont ride in to the back of anything while busy looking elsewhere Smile ).

I'd always assume speed humps = 20, but I'd always be going careful and doing lots of looking around anyway - humps are generally for a reason.

My instructor said that on rbouts you need to look to the source of danger.
How are you moving between lanes or across other peoples possible routes?
If you're on the inside then you need to look left before moving across to the outside lane / exit the roundabout.
If you're on the outside lane then you need to look right to make sure that nobody on the inside is cutting across to exit through you as you go past exits and optionally left to check people coming onto the roundabout.
Time your indicating carefully.
Be aware of markings / signs for the roundabout. Usually if 2 lanes then the left lane is turn left or straight on, but sometimes left lane is only left and right lane is straight or right.

What does your instructor say (if there are any odd junctions I'd expect them to flag it up with you).

No bike yet - too busy to look atm. Also I'm 6'4" so I'm going to have to find something fairly big - I kept getting cramp on the ER6. Thinking maybe Vstrom or Versys....

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Darwin but did it clean even though we were out for over 50 mins

Take care leaving the site as it's the motorway services and people belt it down that sliproad onto the roundabout like complete knobs (you're not traffic lighted on but I think the motorway is - was 4 years ago now)

the DC heading into town, the lanes become turn lanes, be in the correct one, not too early, not too late.

country lanes, Edgeworth, if they take you that far, used to have stop signs (the only ones on route) it's now two mini roundabouts, remember you have to give way when joining the second roundabout even if it means you're stopped on the first roundabout.

on a blind summit be centre of lane or slightly left of as you can't see the bus coming over the hill.

mirror wise, any change in road position, speed or just because you haven't for a while, glance at a mirror or two.

They didn't used to take you into the town centre itself but if they do, there is a bit of a one way so keep an eye on signs

There's a favourite "stop safely on the left" which used to have a bus stop. They time telling you so that you either have to slam on and do it quickly or will stop in the bus stop.

Don't be afraid when given an instruction such as 'stop on the left' or 'pull in' to take a moment or two to be away from junctions and bus stops etc but don't take the mick with how far you go.

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:09 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. Smashed it Wink

Wonko thanks very much for that, it was really helpful. I had the pull up on the left by the bus stop Wink

Next stop, BIG BIKE woohoooo Wink

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:

Wonko thanks very much for that, it was really helpful. I had the pull up on the left by the bus stop Wink

Congratulations Buddy. Well done. Any minors?

Any ideas what bike your getting Smile

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:28 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tracer Wink Yep 2 minors, but when he said I'd passed I was gobsmacked and didn't really listen to what they were. All I could think was "Fuck off, no way, as if I've passed" Shocked

Well I really like the CBF600 that I've been learning on, but that's the only big bike i've ridden other than the CBF500. I need something fairly big tho, as I'm 6'1 and 20 stone. I do like the looks of the V-Stroms but I need to go and sit on a few bikes first. Budget is around £2-3k.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:
Cheers Tracer Wink Yep 2 minors, but when he said I'd passed I was gobsmacked and didn't really listen to what they were. All I could think was "Fuck off, no way, as if I've passed" Shocked

Well I really like the CBF600 that I've been learning on, but that's the only big bike i've ridden other than the CBF500. I need something fairly big tho, as I'm 6'1 and 20 stone. I do like the looks of the V-Stroms but I need to go and sit on a few bikes first. Budget is around £2-3k.

Sounds good. You will get a lot of suggestions, and its all down to personal preference. But the best thing to do is try as many was you can on for size and see if you fall for any Smile

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:

I thought it might still be part of the route Very Happy
Well done, what were your thoughts as he told you to pull up on the left? Has the tree been trimmed that used to hide the sign slightly (I can still picture it in my mind 4 years ago)

at 6'1 you're the same height as me, my first big bike was a ZZR, was good and is well in budget but might not be to your taste.

Vstrom, Versys and Transalp would also suit but no idea of cost

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:28 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was within 5 minutes of leaving the test center, and he said "OK, please pull up when it is safe to do so" and I saw the bus stop with a good old spaceafter it, so I just laughed inwardly, remembered this post, and thought take as long as you need. So you probably passed the test for me lol Wink

I've now put a deposit down against an FZ6 using my MT as part-ex, so in 5 days time when it's ready I'll be a proper biker lol. Vroom VROOOOOOOM!!!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 298 days between these two posts...

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:37 - 09 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise that this is an old thread - but I thought I'd update it as it is fresh in my mind. So I sat my test on 7th of May and I didn't make it. Totally my fault, nerves got the better of me.

Some weird/tricky areas:

- it's very likely that you'll ride down Mary Leaver Way and be asked to take the 3rd exit and join onto Paul Rink Way. You need to ensure that you get into that dedicated left turn lane to join onto it.

- turning left onto Haslingden Road off the B6231 - there's a dedicated left turn lane with a give way line. The junction does have a lot going on, so if you're not relatively sharp, it's easy to miss that the traffic going forward (continuing on the B6231) is blocking anybody from coming onto your path, so you can get caught out by undue hesitation (and at this junction it is a serious fault due to the very real risk of being rear ended).

If you're taking your test in Darwen, it might be wise to drive around before the test, or at least use google maps to look at the junction that I mentioned above. I've dubbed it "spaghetti junction" for obvious reasons.

This is probably true for any area with a DVSA centre close by, but generally the area around the test site is riddled/crawling with learners. Apparently many drivers in the area are sick of them and will do all sorts of stupid shit to get around them, including but not limited to undertaking on the approach to roundabouts, undertaking on roundabouts, and so on. Basically - be aware, and most importantly, don't forget to do that left shoulder check before entering a roundabout, especially the big roundabout just before the test centre. You'll be using that roundabout twice, once to leave the test centre, and again to get back. It would be a shame to fail it at the last minute.

Last but not least - it's likely that you'll be following signs/road markings signposted for the M65 to get back to the test centre. That freaked me out the first time I heard it...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1