CB750F2 SOHC

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:16 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: CB750F2 SOHC Reply with quote

Morning

I'm going to look at a CB750 F2 this afternoon and was just wondering if there is anything in particular to look for.

It's listed as a non-runner, been laid up for 20 years

The bike in question
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253028303150?euid=072832d401ae4ae0984acd09e51f421d&bu=43803754348&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

I'm suspicious that its an import with the late registration (79 onward was supposed to be DOHC) but I still don't think those are original colours? I'm also aware of valve issues with the F models but other than that any specific points to check?

Thanks

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:58 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't actually say in the add that its an 'F2'

The Honda SOHC forum is probably your font of all knowledge on these.

It isn't totally original; has ace-bars for starters. AFAIK, all the SOHC 750-fours were 'K' designation, and to the cross-over DOHC model that immediately preceded the FII.

XRW672S, isn't a 1981 registration! 'S' suffix is 77/78, so either an ad mistake, or '81 is the year of import, 77 the year of manufacture.

Add provides very little other info, pictures not a lot more; colour sceme? Doesn't look non-factory, but which option it was for & what market? Probably US. Early pressed comstars would have bee contemprary; twin-disk? I'd not be so sure on; the 'fast-back' euro-styling with abbreviated tail but non integrated tail-lamp, may mark that one out as a cross-over model, or a US regional variant for local C&U regs.

£1000 for one of the last 'unloved' comstar and plastic body SOHC's is a bit on the high side for a resto-base to my mind; restored they are seldom worth more than 3-4K... but, even at a grand, they are a cheap source of parts, broken to restore a wire-wheel model.. unfortunately, though that one could be pretty original bar the bars, and might be a more viable resto.

Did you buy it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went and had a look, turns out its a 78, the 80/81 was a typo (I missed the photo with the reg in Doh!) turns out the owner inherited it along with a vast quantity of bikes (some really interesting, BSA A10's a starfire alongside Jawas superdreams etc) from his father who passed recently and as it turns out used to compete against my dad and his mates in sidecars in the 70's.

No way was I willing to part with more than £800 for it going by the photos less now I've seen it in person and discovered the engine to be seized, going back on Sunday with some tools to check the top end if all seems fine I might make an offer but if its bottom end then I'm going to pass, knowing who the previous owner was I'm suspicious it was raced at some point.

Last October I passed up on a 78 F2 from a friend with a burnt out valve but in otherwise ride able condition, he offered it to me for £800 Brick Wall

terrytibbs
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:39 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
It isn't totally original; has ace-bars for starters.

Your autism is showing

Teflon-Mike wrote:
£1000 for one of the last 'unloved' comstar and plastic body SOHC's

Given the F2 was the best handling 750 sohc (which admittedly not much to shout about), was finally fitted with calipers not on a hinge and all round the most sorted 750 sohc whats not to love

Teflon-Mike wrote:
cheap source of parts, broken to restore a wire-wheel model..

All Honda 750 sohc prices are heading up and with the demand for originality no they are not a good source of parts, the autism of Honda collectors rivals yours

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was never a popular bike when it came out. Maybe in the states but not in UK.

I seem to remember it being one of the first multi cylinder bikes in mass production with just one silencer. That did not go down well.

The older one was much nicer

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTM4WDE2MDA=/$T2eC16Z,!)EE9s2uiP,4BRpZBuCPHg~~60_1.JPG?set_id=2

To this, in the colour scheme I remember

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_qXYO7rSiOtzD45DXFQK9ibsNzo5yi3jeyPiK0wvG1pog-vLeSg

No contest in looks and it had a cheap feel to it.

So did the comstars and twin front disk come in with that bodywork? This looks different.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTn2K0z_OVI7bIgQxMyTPnRryuCyrBIW8M-lBj88wRHhuuOSKgOLA

I do love old Japanese multis Wub
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1