Cost of living bubble?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Both roles in OP are not real world jobs on account of being heavily unionised.
Private sector pay is not so generous for similar roles.

Highly unlikely that there are more than a handful of bin lorry drivers that are employed, directly, by any public sector body.
Refuse collection along with virtually anything related to maintenance or engineering of any sort will be contracted out to the private sector, much the same as it has been for the last 3 decades!

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:44 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, if you compare the average of higher skilled/educated/compensated workers in the public sector (where even the lowest tier workers are more likely to get the living wage) with the private sector, which has many more low skilled, low paid workers, you get higher averages in the public sector.

I'd be interested in seeing the demographic breakdown of the 2 sectors for comparison, but of course the mail hasn't bothered to link to the study, because why would anyone want to read the source Evil or Very Mad

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just generally a uk wide bubble I think…

When will the crash come… 10 years since last one…
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:47 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having this trouble hiring warehouse staff at the moment, its like no one wants a job where you have to actually do some work.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Just generally a uk wide bubble I think…

When will the crash come… 10 years since last one…

soon, this economic cycle is nearly finished
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

instigator.
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:01 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Cost of living bubble? Reply with quote

G wrote:

Parcel Force...
I ask "So why WASN'T it delivered the last two times, with no note left"... <mumbles>.. I repeat the question. "The driver didn't have time." I get them to confirm that yes, twice the driver ran out of time and didn't deliver my parcel.
.)

Just out of interest as it's been a while since I've lived in the UK. When ordering items online, can you not specify to deliver to your address or to deliver to other locations such as shops who work with that courier? Here in NL, that is what most people do.... Deliver to one of the many, many shops who have an agreement with the courier such that you can collect it at your leisure. I thought this was normal but then, I may have forgotten such common issues of living back in UK. I have about 10 places DAHL can deliver to within 5 km of my house. Should I wish not to opt with my closest for whatever reason.

/Off topic.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:38 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Cost of living bubble? Reply with quote

Yes, you can for most now.

With Parcel Force you can do that for post offices I believe.

I get my stuff delivered to work, so I don't have the worries of people not being in etc.

(td;dr below... rambling rant about how DPD local suck.)
Well, apart from when a 'DPD local' (was interparcel) driver tried to deliver before we were open, despite having delivered many times here before... the next delivery attempt I opened up early... to watch him stop opposite, take a picture of the shop, rummage in his cab a bit, then drive off, without even coming to the door (the other side of the road, but only a 30mph single carriage way.) When I got a text saying "we couldn't deliver because you weren't in, you'll have to collect from our depot" I rung up to explain I'd watched him drive off.
He did come back later, but had a go at me, leaving stating he would no longer deliver here, using 'colourful' language.
I did call up to make a complaint, which got left on answer-phone and they never followed it up.
He did deliver a package for me a couple of weeks later, but I wasn't around - nothing was said.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Cost of living bubble? Reply with quote

instigator. wrote:
G wrote:

Parcel Force...
I ask "So why WASN'T it delivered the last two times, with no note left"... <mumbles>.. I repeat the question. "The driver didn't have time." I get them to confirm that yes, twice the driver ran out of time and didn't deliver my parcel.
.)

Just out of interest as it's been a while since I've lived in the UK. When ordering items online, can you not specify to deliver to your address or to deliver to other locations such as shops who work with that courier? Here in NL, that is what most people do.... Deliver to one of the many, many shops who have an agreement with the courier such that you can collect it at your leisure. I thought this was normal but then, I may have forgotten such common issues of living back in UK. I have about 10 places DAHL can deliver to within 5 km of my house. Should I wish not to opt with my closest for whatever reason.

/Off topic.

Yes and no. On eBay some sellers have an option to deliver to an Argos etc., and I once had a courier leave a parcel at a chemist which was annoying as it was f'ing miles away. You do have courier drop off services for collection, I do this to avoid waiting in (a local newsagents does this).

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife orders a lot of crop (clothes from catalogues) and they will deliver to the local shop.

I order everything to my work even wheels and tyres.

Luckily work is okay with it.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:22 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure on a cost of living increase. Don't really see any significant increase in wages, but 'perks' seem to be disappearing. And they are a cheap or free way of making a place far more enticing to work at (flexi time, reasonable sick pay, working hours, holidays, etc).

All the best

Katy

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I think that's been going on for a while. Employers seem to think an unhappy workforce are more productive, when I've yet to see any evidence of that Neutral

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:46 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
^ I think that's been going on for a while. Employers seem to think an unhappy workforce are more productive, when I've yet to see any evidence of that Neutral

By far the opposite. I would take a significant pay cut for decent flexi time, and don't worry too much about extra time work if I have it.

Longer hours are pretty useless for productivity.

All the best

Katy

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Laughing My current place of work is very keen to improve employee engagement and genuinely be a great place to work.
Without actually changing anything. Neutral
Strong resistance to flexible working which would cost them little to nothing to implement, but improve staff retention and make it a more attractive place to work (they have trouble attracting new staff when the truly fed up ones leave).
They don't seem to recognise that you can't get something for nothing, but small "gives" can reap real returns.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:37 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get too progressive, but visible inequality is the morale killer. As a drone in sector 7G in a satellite office in a satellite country, I often get emails to "UK all" or "All employees" telling me how awesome the benefits and environment are at UK or global HQ.

Curiously, knowing what the menu is today at a heavily subsidised staff restaurant that I don't have access to has less of a halo effect than they seem to imagine.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Not to get too progressive, but visible inequality is the morale killer.

It is in society too...

Gini Index

JDP - Gini Index predicts crime

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:06 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Not to get too progressive, but visible inequality is the morale killer. As a drone in sector 7G in a satellite office in a satellite country, I often get emails to "UK all" or "All employees" telling me how awesome the benefits and environment are at UK or global HQ.

Curiously, knowing what the menu is today at a heavily subsidised staff restaurant that I don't have access to has less of a halo effect than they seem to imagine.

Yep, had that kind of thing before.

Psychopathic managers are also a big way of destroying staff

All the best

Katy

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companies could learn a lot from Google.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:26 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Companies could learn a lot from Google.

Like, how to crib another company's perks culture?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a perfect world nobody would be paid to work anyway. National slavery under the control of an elite group of owners would insure we had full employment and everyone would be looked after.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
In a perfect world nobody would be paid to work anyway. National slavery under the control of an elite group of owners would insure we had full employment and everyone would be looked after.

I think that's how it works on Star Trek.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:59 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

I think that's how it works on Star Trek.

It's how it worked in Anglo-Saxon England too.

Men's fashions were very similar as well.

https://i.imgur.com/zoL3Xbj.png?1https://i.stack.imgur.com/2Gayk.jpg

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:16 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Highly unlikely that there are more than a handful of bin lorry drivers that are employed, directly, by any public sector body.
Refuse collection along with virtually anything related to maintenance or engineering of any sort will be contracted out to the private sector, much the same as it has been for the last 3 decades!

This is one of the things which is going to cause trouble for Corby as he goes around promising to pay public sector workers more.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:03 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no trouble at all unless he wins. Then he'd have 5 years to make bad on his risible promises.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2