Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gear seizing and manual choke

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

demelzachampi...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:44 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Gear seizing and manual choke Reply with quote

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting so please play nice! Shocked

I have just got my CBT and have bought a Lexmoto Oregon 125 (I know it's a Chinese bike, but I missed out on a YBR by £20 and needed to get a bike quick!).

So anyway down to the issue's I am now facing Rolling Eyes

1st problem is with the manual choke, the guy I bought it off was very unsure about what position it needed to be in to turn it on or off. I have had a play around with it (it only has 3 positions up, down or mid way) if I put it down or mid way it will run and slowly build up rev's but if I put it up it cut's out immediately. This is after running it to warm up before riding, and even after a 30 mile ish round trip, I still can't turn the choke off!

This then also becomes an issue when I coming to a stop on the road, if I need to go into 1st, as soon as I pull my clutch in the rev's drop and the bike cuts out! Meaning I am then stuck trying to start the bike again.

2nd problem is my gears Sad so say I am in 4th and I am coming to a stop at some lights, I am really trying to be gentle with my clutch and my brakes and coming to a nice controlled stop. Problem is I then need to change down to first, my gears seize and it feels like I can't move them at all, I can press down as hard as I like on my gear lever and nothing, it's immovable. I can go up into 4th and then into 5th but as soon as I try and go down it wont work. Eventually with turning my bike on and off and generally having to try and move myself out of traffic into side roads (bearing in mind I can't get it into neutral so this is a nightmare!) it will go into 1st/Neutral and then be fine for the next few miles and then it does the same thing again, it's not even predictable.

Sorry for such a long post, hoping that someone, anyone can help! If it's me and my riding then at least I can modify it!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:19 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the choke issue. It sounds like you need the idle speed increasing. Given it's a manual choke, it will also have a carburettor.

It should simply be a case of screwing the idle screw in until you get a steady idle speed.

Before making any adjustments on a carb, ensure you know where the screws are currently set so you can put them back. Do this by counting how many turns it takes to screw it all the way in. Write this down then put it back to where it was.

Adjusting the idle screw is usually a case of working "by ear". You'd want the engine warmed up before doing so then slowly screw the idle screw in. Since it's cutting out, I'd try screwing it in 1/4 turn at a time untiol it stops doing so then adjust from there.

If you can post a pic of your carb, we should be able to indicate whioch one is the idle screw.

It could also be a blocked slow running jet or badly set pilot screw but I'd start by adjusting the idle if it's otherwise running well.

In terms of the gears. It's fairly normal to be unable to shift up or down several gears on a stationary bike. The sequential gearbox on a motorcycle needs to be rotating to shift properly. One way to achieve this is to change down them sequentially just before you come to a stop so you finish in the right gear (some older bikes would flat-out refuse to go in neutral if they were stationary, you had to hook it before you stopped).

If you land up stopping in a high gear, change down as far as you can then once you feel that "seizing" sensation you report, give it a few revs and start letting the clutch out as if you were going to ride away. You should feel a slight clunk from the gearbox (this is the gear clusters moving fully into their new position) and will now be able to pull the clutch back in and shift down to the next gear.

demelzachampi...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:24 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!

I will have a look at the carburettor and take some photos, will post them later on this evening. Ideally I want to know how to fix my bike myself so thank you so much for explaining it Very Happy

I will try that more with the gears, I have been trying to change down while coming to a slow stop, my partner has a bigger bike and said that could be a part of the problem. I guess experience plays a big part here and knowing your bike!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't force the gear lever, you'll bend something internal. As Stinkwheel said the gears need to be rotating to align the engagement dogs. Usually the normal drag on the clutch is enough to turn the input shaft gently but on some bikes it doesn't so you have to 'help' it by gently dragging the clutch. You'll soon get used to it.

If a warmed up bike won't run with the choke off first check that the air filter is there and that it's not some crappy 'performance' one. After that you're left with messing with the carb. A compression check wouldn't hurt either.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:17 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

demelzachampion wrote:
I will have a look at the carburettor and take some photos

I'll stick my neck out and guess...

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/__DYtEEjm5wE/SdE2lp3cYgI/AAAAAAAAABo/92yQIiecTJM/s320/carb.jpg

If it's that carb or similar, then up is on and down is off, so you're fine. You shouldn't need the choke in this weather, or at most put it half on just to start up, then flip it down and off ASAP. Don't leave it in the mid-way position.

Turn the idle speed screw in to raise the idle speed to about 1500rpm (but less if you can get away with it).

With the idle mixture screw, you want to warm the engine up fully, ensure that the choke is off, and then start turning the idle mixture screw 1/4 turn in each direction. If the engine speeds up when you turn it either clockwise or anticlockwise, keep turning it in that direction until the revs are maximised - you'll have to go back and forth a bit to find the sweet spot.

Don't sweat it too much. Changes in air temperature, pressure and humidity will result in different running, so just get it dialled in roughly then leave it alone.

demelzachampi...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:41 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much Smile

I will definitely check out everything. Glad that actually it may be me to be honest, at least that's something I can fix at the moment!

I will still pop some photos on when I have worked out where everything is Laughing

Thank you again Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1