Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2-stroke bicycle conversion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: 2-stroke bicycle conversion Reply with quote

Saw this posted on hukd: https://www.banggood.com/80cc-2-Stroke-Motorcycle-Motorized-Bike-Black-Body-Engine-Motor-Kit-p-949003.html?utm_source=tradetracker&utm_medium=tradetracker_fr&utm_content=15981&utm_campaign=171762

https://img1.banggood.com/thumb/large/oaupload/banggood/images/19/93/8d6bfa3a-b307-48af-b32b-f0a1ad19b8c6.jpg

Interesting but not very subtle I guess Smile

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:07 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old idea, very common in the 1950's on British roads, the main problem it turns a normal bicycle into a motorcycle, so has to be registered for the road, type approval, tax , insurance, bla bla .
I have an example ,I don't use very much as the brakes do not have th required performance to suit todays roads

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a think about this.

If it needs to be registered as a motorbike... why not use the engine to charge a battery on a normal electric bicycle?

Get two batteries and you're charging one battery and discharging the other.

You're just hauling around a generator to charge a batter and not turning the wheels on the bike directly Thinking
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:45 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above - they've been around for years and occasionally see the chavvy sort with them.

More expensive, but these days electric works nicely.

My electric setup justifying it's existence:
https://i.imgur.com/QqpP1cb.png

That has been considered Itchy - of course first off, you're going to want to be ultra-legal, obviously running an ICE. So definitely 250W peddle sensor. Then I believe the legislation suggests it might be ok with the genny on a trailer, but not on a bike.

A whole lot of hassle.

Oh and... some people have road registered electric setup mountain bikes as motorbikes.

The trailer above has 16" mx tyres on 20" mountain unicycle rims - but could also have road legal street tyres.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:53 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you have a bi fuel or hybrid vehicle , still a licensable vehicle

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I saw a 2-stroke bicycle thingy was an oldboy riding one down the pavement Laughing He'd obviously reached the don't give a f**k stage.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:17 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that in the U.S. they do not have to be licenced

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
I believe that in the U.S. they do not have to be licenced

I believe like a lot of their rules it varies from state to state, however the Motoped thing suggests they're fairly flexible: https://motoped.com/

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:04 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you're for the most part allowed a chunk more power from an electric vehicle.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: motor bike Reply with quote

dejavu....a'int that how Honda started.......and that was a copy !!

Best one i've seen uses a Honda 4t stationary engine, seen at Ty Croes on Anglesea, will try and post a picture.....

Have rm1 clip on from a raliegh, and a cyclemaster, wing wheel and clip on type.

Law changed when I was nearly 16 ( the bastard fowler !! ) so had a Philips Panda for a year. Don't laugh, had real great fun and it got up ever hill ( hills are steep in wales ) with no pedalling, a thimble ful;l of fuel per 100 miles, well nearly.

Worth a fortune now I bet.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:27 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: motor bike Reply with quote

I suggested this to a mate for a laugh, get said 'Why fuck about I have a spare mito engine in the garage.'
Laughing

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:44 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: motor bike Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
dejavu....a'int that how Honda started.......and that was a copy !!

Best one i've seen uses a Honda 4t stationary engine, seen at Ty Croes on Anglesea, will try and post a picture.....

Have rm1 clip on from a raliegh, and a cyclemaster, wing wheel and clip on type.

Law changed when I was nearly 16 ( the bastard fowler !! ) so had a Philips Panda for a year. Don't laugh, had real great fun and it got up ever hill ( hills are steep in wales ) with no pedalling, a thimble ful;l of fuel per 100 miles, well nearly.

Worth a fortune now I bet.

About £1500.00 I think, you can still find examples around, and prices will change as soon as the weather improves
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1