Next Bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:01 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Next Bike? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Since my Burgman got stolen and is uneconomical to repair, I'm back in the market for a commuter. 60 and 70mph roads, 20 miles each way.
I've a limited budget of £900 tops.

I was looking at a Triumph Sprint 900. Insurance-wise, it's not too bad. But the engine is double the Burger Van in capacity. How much is this likely to sting the wallet in terms of mileage? And also, is there anything which I should specifically look out for on this model (1996)?
I've checked the MOT history and it's due again in March 18. Had no advisories on the last one. Mileage is 40,000. And is listed for £850. I haven't tried to gauge whether he'll drop that any yet.

Cheers.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

900quid and commuter, what you want is the cleanest well looked after bike that's available now and locally to you. I doesn't matter if it's a scooter, an ER5 or a GSXR.

Anything that's not in good condition, needs work, or is not within a few miles of your doorstep is out, and anything else is just what you need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:28 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My scooter got nicked, my ER5 was more boring than watching paint dry - there's lots of GSXRs about though.
I'm going to be using this through winter. And, while I'm not wanting something which'll set the world on fire, I would like to enjoy the ride.

I'm very limited by what's available and going to actually view it with wife and kids in tow.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As previously mentioned, your budget means you can't be too choosy.
I'd suggest you have a look at a Yam TDM though...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:54 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

Is that your considered opinion?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Triumphs were pretty bomb proof bar the sprag clutch which was mainly a case of making sure your battery was good. I think there were two different engines, one that the repair was easy and one where it wasn't. Silver good, black bad?

Other than that, a heavy lazy sportsish tourer.

But as said above, best condition bike close to you.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:04 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking. The wife gets worried about mid-90s bikes. I've seen several affordable, nice looking bikes (ZZR, ZX6R, GSX, FZR, NTV) but she's instantly put off by age.

Here's the Triumph anyway:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/803527599798359

I'll ask him about the sprag clutch. I read that people that know the bikes tend to keep the paperwork to prove it's been changed - or at the very least know what they're talking about.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:

Is that your considered opinion?

Not through personal experience but a mate swears by his (as opposed to swearing at one!), and they do turn up under a grand.

However my considered opinion is that he should buy the best available for the budget, rather than look for a specific model.

edited to add that my mate has the 850TDM.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
I'm looking. The wife gets worried about mid-90s bikes. I've seen several affordable, nice looking bikes (ZZR, ZX6R, GSX, FZR, NTV) but she's instantly put off by age.

Any specific reason why she thinks a bike with more electronics isn't more likely go wrong then?

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:30 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No specific reason. She just thinks that I should be getting a newer bike for the money. I won't. She'll have to accept that. But the convincing isn't fun.

And, make no mistake, the Triumph isn't a model I've specifically searched for. It's in budget, it's good favourable reviews and it's not a million miles away. But will it kick my wallet to pieces once I've bought it? That's what I want to know.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:07 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you involving the female and the younglings in your bike purchasing decisions?

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:21 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a lift to wherever I purchase it from.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:34 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you involving the female and the younglings in your bike purchasing decisions?

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:03 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, I could dump them if needs be. But none-the-less, I am still unsure if this Triumph is going to be a money sink.

Oneear
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:14 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be no more of a "money sink" than anything else that's £900, as the others have said.

As an aside, the triple in my Legend has 40k on it now, and has been no problem at all during the 4k that I've put on it.

It's a case of having a look at the bike and talking to the man selling it. If it looks and sounds and rides like it's okay, and the man has looked after it, then buy it. If not, move on to the next bike within budget and distance and repeat.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:30 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
Well, yeah, I could dump them if needs be. But none-the-less, I am still unsure if this Triumph is going to be a money sink.

What's the issue here? Your wife doesn't want you to get it, or you don't want you to get it?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
there's lots of GSXRs about though.

As much as this may sound silly my GSXR1000 K1 is an awesome commuter. Fairly comfy and ridden sensibly at legal speeds it gets good MPG. Consumable wear is only slightly worse than the ZZR I had before it.

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
The wife gets worried about mid-90s bikes. I've seen several affordable, nice looking bikes (ZZR, ZX6R, GSX, FZR, NTV)

Ignore her. I managed to do 40000 miles in a year on a 23 year old ZZR, they are built like brick shithouses.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:00 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have money to burn. Anything at this price will be a gamble, I know, but I'm looking for A) known issues B) cost of living C) general reliability on this particular model.
£900 might be naff all to some people, but right now that's our budget stretched and means missing out on (an already frugal) holiday this year, as well as other things.
But if I can't get to work, I can't make any money to begin with. Unfortunately, my work moved 20 miles away from where it used to be (walking distance) and I'm currently borrowing the mother's car because the wife needs ours for school runs etc. However, the insurance runs out on the 17th July and costs £30 a week, so that's pretty much my deadline.
Noone at work lives locally to me to ask for a lift.

Edit: ZZRs with my current insurer are stupidly expensive, unfortunately. It's a model I've looked at a lot. I have to stick with current insurer (Hastings) as my renewal is up in August, so I'll be switching rather than starting fresh. The Triumph is quoting at £120, the ZZR is well over £400.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsx750f or gsx600f?

Not as popular as the other late 90's sport tourers so there are loads of fairly tidy ones for cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSX-750-F-GSX750F-2001-BARGAIN-FULL-MOT-/253035484638?hash=item3aea1715de:g:AXgAAOSwGBtZYUHf

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-low-mileage-suzuki-gsx600f-/232396857104?hash=item361bee9f10:g:4tkAAOSwDrNZUT5L

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 13 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with bikes that age is owners not really the make of bike.

Even if the bike is one make that has issues, at that age the chances are they have been fixed or aren't going to happen.

The real issues are what has the owner(s) done to the bike.

In the end that's all you can go on condition, owner but that still doesn't mean it won't go bang tomorrow.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The problem with bikes that age is owners not really the make of bike.
Even if the bike is one make that has issues, at that age the chances are they have been fixed or aren't going to happen.
The real issues are what has the owner(s) done to the bike.
In the end that's all you can go on condition, owner but that still doesn't mean it won't go bang tomorrow.

This /\ /\ /\ Thumbs Up
I'd say this holds for pretty much every bike over 5 years old (and some over only 1 year old).

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:13 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
I don't have money to burn.

Save then. It'll stay with you and you'll have more money to put on something decent.

I went through a year or two buying proper cheapies, I spent more time and money on them than I care to think.

I've since bought 2 newer bikes, 2009 and 2011 models, the difference is magical. You can obviously opt for a cheap bike, but you will get just that.

However, some hidden sheds in ebay. A quick flop shows this, its faster than burgervan, but also plenty of parts around and its pretty solid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-bandit-600-s-/292177568044?hash=item440723e12c:g:09oAAOSwqVBZYnJZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:29 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the luxury of being able to save. I got nursery fees and other pricey bills to pay and need transportation to work, 20 miles away with terrible bus times.
It's a shit situation because the local shit heads decided to nick my bike. But it is what it is. I'm just trying to make the most of what I got.
The bandit looks okay though on first glance. I'll look in to it. Thanks.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:59 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
I don't have the luxury of being able to save. I got nursery fees and other pricey bills to pay and need transportation to work, 20 miles away with terrible bus times.
It's a shit situation because the local shit heads decided to nick my bike. But it is what it is. I'm just trying to make the most of what I got.
The bandit looks okay though on first glance. I'll look in to it. Thanks.

If you have the luxury of having 900 at your disposal then I'm sure saving would be OK?

However, people have different situations I guess. I'd take a look in to the bandit, check for anything thats wildly rusted, like oil cooler + pipes associated to that, check chain and sprocket condition and give it a ride checking all gears feel solid.

Its a bandit, parts are plentiful and unless you want to remove the carbs, it'll give you minimal headaches.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£900? You can have my 28K mile 97 thundercat for that, I'll even MOT it for you.

Brand new rear tyre, sprockets and chain. probably done 200 miles since having them fitted.

Only let me down once in 5 years, clutch cable snapped.

Like this one

https://fooqs.com/environment/cache/images/0_0_productGfx_989ad875ca9a11ce067d2bcb3fb3f17d.jpg

but has a rear seat cowl, single seat conversion thing on it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2