BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Next Bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not far from me either judging by the map, I work in Peterboghorror.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:56 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a nice deal. I saw one on the bay at 950, but 40k and short MOT.

If the headers were in good nick I wouldnt mind, but they were fucked Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lardcore
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:54 - 14 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Thundercat doesn't work out for some reason there's also my 2001 FZS600 with 44k on the clock and a fresh MOT. Wink

Having said that, there could be XJ900's for sale around your area which would be even cheaper (as less popular) and have a shaft drive. Haven't ridden one but a few people I know hold them in high regard as a very practical bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:01 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:

That sounds like a decent offer, and appreciated (especially as I live in Peterborough. However, my insurer want...

£587.44 Third Party F&T.
Third Party only - £709.04!
FC -£764.84

The cheapest insurer wanted double what I've been quoted on the Triumph, GSXFs etc. Thanks though. They look like nice bikes.

I don't know much about the FZS. I'll look in to it. I remember reading about shonky downpipes rusting through quickly. I guess at its age that's a bit of a moot point - the original pipes would have long gone by now if it was a 'known problem'.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus wept I pay about £60TPFT Shocked

Good luck with your search Very Happy

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with his search?

I'd have said more like wake up a bit tbh! Your offer of a tidy Cat was a nice helpful gesture to the OP, but if insurance is to much of a sting, then that's out too. Not anyone's fault really, but I have my doubts that OP is gonna find a bike to ride any time soon IMO.

A 900quid budget is one thing, and being insurance limited on old middle weight bikes is another. The OP said they urgently needed a cheap bike quickly to get to work, and they wanted advice. Also it'd need to be local as family would have to take him to view any potential bikes.

Yet with all that in mind he sounds to me like with £900 he thinks he has a choice and can be picky and choosey? I mean having a bike for a job like commuting for work is kind of important, but thinking you are going to get an inspiring bike, that you like the idea of and think is fun, but also that for 900notes it must have not faults, potential future issues, and no known weaknesss or even high running costs compared to a scooter, well it's a great dream to have!

OP tell you what, while your at it can you let me know where there's an NS400R for under 2grand for sale, it'll probably be In the same place as your next bike I would guess. Wink

lardcore
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:10 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
J4mes wrote:

That sounds like a decent offer, and appreciated (especially as I live in Peterborough. However, my insurer want...

£587.44 Third Party F&T.
Third Party only - £709.04!
FC -£764.84

The cheapest insurer wanted double what I've been quoted on the Triumph, GSXFs etc. Thanks though. They look like nice bikes.

I don't know much about the FZS. I'll look in to it. I remember reading about shonky downpipes rusting through quickly. I guess at its age that's a bit of a moot point - the original pipes would have long gone by now if it was a 'known problem'.

Wow, that's quite an insurance quote! Could be related to the previous claim and/or points.

Thundercat is the sportier version of FZS (Fazer), I don't really think there's much in it, except the sportier seating position on the 'cat as well as full fairing (and possibly slightly better suspension up front).

Good luck, I think you might need it.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:59 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Good luck with his search?

I'd have said more like wake up a bit tbh! Your offer of a tidy Cat was a nice helpful gesture to the OP, but if insurance is to much of a sting, then that's out too. Not anyone's fault really, but I have my doubts that OP is gonna find a bike to ride any time soon IMO.

A 900quid budget is one thing, and being insurance limited on old middle weight bikes is another. The OP said they urgently needed a cheap bike quickly to get to work, and they wanted advice. Also it'd need to be local as family would have to take him to view any potential bikes.

Yet with all that in mind he sounds to me like with £900 he thinks he has a choice and can be picky and choosey? I mean having a bike for a job like commuting for work is kind of important, but thinking you are going to get an inspiring bike, that you like the idea of and think is fun, but also that for 900notes it must have not faults, potential future issues, and no known weaknesss or even high running costs compared to a scooter, well it's a great dream to have!

OP tell you what, while your at it can you let me know where there's an NS400R for under 2grand for sale, it'll probably be In the same place as your next bike I would guess. Wink

Well, I've just put a deposit down on a Pegaso that I went to view today. That's costing me £24 to switch insurance from the Burgman and includes the £25 administration fee.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
I've just put a deposit down on a Pegaso

Is it the 650 (with the same rotax engine as the F650GS) or the 660 (with the Yam engine)?

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:43 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

650. It's on a W plate.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I'd be keen on a big single for commuting but each to their own. Certainly something different.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:10 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting choice. That engine is good for 70, but expect some tingling in your man-gland: I liked the G650GS that I tried right up to the point where we hit the dual carriageway.

The exhaust system is fine?

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:19 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to be. This is a model which I've had my eye on pre-Burgman.
The exhaust looks fine. Everything runs as it should.
It's very tall for my 29" legs and very wide bars compared to the Burg, but I felt really planted riding it home. It will need the front tyre changing before long though.

https://i.imgur.com/JL08IGjl.jpg

The downside is that I have to give my mum her BMW back now. And I've enjoyed driving that immensely.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
It's very tall for my 29" legs

I believe they can have electrical issues (so I hear).

If it's anything like my Transalp then it'll have a lot of suspension travel so drops a lot with your weight on it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2