Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aslef tossers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:57 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

People need to look at wage stats. Ffs only 10% of wage earners are on above average wage. Yoy could double train drivers pay and it would be a drop in the ocean compared with the wage bill for lower status workers which is were rises in pay are really needed. But why worry about the wages of demographic groups who don't tend to vote in the numbers the superior classes do.

https://www.ifs.org.uk

Last edited by Ribenapigeon on 11:07 - 18 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:41 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a fair danger of ASLEFites flinging their wooden shoes into the works of Robotrain.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah! The working class proles demanding the same pay as we management types!!!??? What is the world coming to? All they do is control a train with up to a thousand people on board. Now we, of course, are the reason that all business functions. Without our endless meetings nothing would happen, the Danish and Lattes are to cool our fevered minds. Marvel at our Powerpoint, see our sublime flow charts. How could a mere prole hope to match our superiority!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wobbling Dog
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:01 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see the 'driverless' docklands light railway companies fork out £42k p.a. to its Passenger Service Agents/Train Captains that are required to drive the 'driverless' trains when necessary.And that's just a metro system.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
So you have to experience something directly in order to have an opinion then?
How do you feel over paedophilia? Were you in Grenfell at the time?

Stop nit picking, just to try to score Internet points.
The Southern story is on the local news several nights most weeks and has been for years now, where I live. It's not just on Meridian news for the benefit of the few hundred thousand who try to use the service is it?

It's not nitpicking, you don't give a shit about this dispute, you're using it to defend your anti-union stance. I don't agree with every dispute, I do believe we'd all be in a much shitter place without trade unions, and we're already seeing an erosion of workers rights with the reduced union presence.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
ThoughtControl wrote:

I'd be more interested in Allan Snackbar sending the packed commuter to London on the same single track as the packed commuter train going away from London, or any train loaded with a mass of fuel, nuclear material etc. off to do it's part in the jihad.

It's the same reason flying cars will never exist nor nuclear fusion powered vehicles, if they were ever to become practical. When an ever growing populace is more interested in dragging the civilization back to the 6th century, and a declining populace of totally cucked morons is largely cheering this on the likelihood of it happening without major amounts of tears is about zero.

Ever seen a Muslim train driver? Wink Using humans is hardly foolproof for stopping suicide missions.

Stupid comment given the large number of Muslim taxi drivers who aren't limited by railway lines and can mount pavements.

Yet again you prove yourself a tit.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
In your opinion, as a trade union supporter, man (child) of the people.

A someone who worked for a faceless multi-national corporation, who tried to block 'our' trade union at every opportunity, even getting in their own trade union with zero members.

Quote:
In my opinion, I'm sick of hearing it on the local news every couple of days, when it's plainly obvious that this is purely a financial and political attack on the Tories by a bunch of militant left wing wankers, holding the tax payer and commuters to ransom.

Workers rights being eroded - my arse! They've just agreed to strike over pay, having turned down a pay rise from £48K to £60K on a 4 day week, £75K if they can be arsed to push a button for 5 days a week. This one is purely about pay, so we can drop the "safety" bollocks.
If you think that's justified, we're on different planets, let alone political stances.

You're ignoring what I'm saying, I said I don't agree with every dispute, but the trend of workers rights is a downward one.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wobbling Dog wrote:
i see the 'driverless' docklands light railway companies fork out £42k p.a. to its Passenger Service Agents/Train Captains that are required to drive the 'driverless' trains when necessary.And that's just a metro system.

40 years ago you'd have been lucky to have a car with a singular electrical gadget. Nowadays people buy cars based on adverts with free Wi-Fi offered as a benefit. Hooking up your iPhone is more important than car dynamics.

The DLR is out of era. The lack of public investment has caused it to lag behind, even though it was in front of its forerunners.

Things aren't the same now and they'll continually be less so. Technology has moved at such a significant rate you'd be idiotic to ignore it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
40 years ago you'd have been lucky to have a car with a singular electrical gadget. Nowadays people buy cars based on adverts with free Wi-Fi offered as a benefit. Hooking up your iPhone is more important than car dynamics.

I thought car adverts were all about keeping little Timmy safe, oh and all the amazing things they do by themselves Neutral

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again wrote:

Stupid comment given the large number of Muslim taxi drivers who aren't limited by railway lines and can mount pavements.
Yet again you prove yourself a tit.

No, it was a perfectly valid comment. You just chose to do your usual and start frothing at the mouth when you saw I'd posted it, because it's what you're programmed to do.

A driverless train would be far less liable to Snackbar, than a human driven one, if Islamic extremists ever go that route. I suspect the main thing stopping them so far, it the lack of a steering wheel.

Why would you need a steering wheel? There's been quite a few rail disasters in the last two decades, that would be able to be caused quite easily if so inclined.

So, my point still stands. There's far more damage can be caused by using a car in an open area than something limited to a train line. Granted you have the captive audience with a train, but you've also go the element of surprise and ability to move across areas in cars.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:10 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Ffs only 10% of wage earners are on above average wage.

That's a high average.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:46 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on which average that is. Razz

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/130-halewood-car-part-jobs-13345178#ICID=FB-Liv-main

Perhaps if they'd had a union like the train guys do...

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:57 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupo wrote:

So contrary to what Asta1 thinks, running a train service is extremely complex, things are constantly happening, faulty trains, signals, passenger alarms, twats throwing themselves under the trains, fire alarms. So you may go to sidings A and quickly get rerouted to sidings B, or to skip Euston station and terminate at King Cross Station for example.

There are already controllers and signallers in charge of sections of track, not trains because you need to coordinate with the other controllers and signallers or shit happens, of course they could run an automatic service, but as soon as something happens, the response times will be a lot slower and so will be the recovery time for the service. And if you are having a heart attack you are on your own.

Lastly the major opposition to automatic trains on National Rail are the companies themselves because of the huge investment necessary. Not so in London Underground because of funding by public money...

I rated this interesting because, well, it's interesting. However, I must ask; whilst train networks do seem more complex than I, as an outsider, had intially thought, are they more complex than a road network?

Ste's point, which I responded to, was around why investment in automated cars but not trains? Surely a modern motorway network has all the same issues with regards to flow, preferential routes, roadworks, suicides, outmoded networks etc as a train network does, but with the added issue that each vehicle on there is independently controlled by an unpredicatable, dozy, incompetent, frequently lost human who is allowed to operate completely independently of a pre-arranged schedule or destination?

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:10 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is different, we run within a timetable, we cannot turn around, so we need specific places like sidings or terminal stations to change direction, or take for example a car anticollision sensor, now think about braking distance for a train, the ones I drive are for a deep tube line, so much smaller and slower than normal trains (we do have a short portion of track that is open as well).

Full load at 35mph I need around a hundred yards for a controlled stop and I have ABS on the brakes.
For a normal train travelling at around 80mph you will need sensors that reach over half a mile or more as you do not want to be emergency braking at that speeds, making the system totally useless at the first bend of the track, as you cannot guarantee the minimum braking distance if an obstacle is encountered.

mpd72 wrote:
They had a union. The union refused to accept a pay freeze or cut, so lost their members jobs to those willing to work cheaper for the same company elsewhere.

Of course, Unions only work if the whole workforce is part of it. If that was the case, the skivers at Birmingham could have been making the same money as the ones at Halewood.

Regarding the pay issue, the offer is fair as that is pretty much the standard for a train driver operating on their own in National rail, Tube drivers get less, DLR Admirals get even lesser, so in my opinion it is about health and safety, probably how the protocols designed for 2 people are going to change for 1 person.

Last edited by Lupo on 02:45 - 18 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:38 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Lupo wrote:
And if you are having a heart attack you are on your own..

How would the meatbag driver know if you, a passenger, were having a heart attack in the present world train travel condition?

Apologies, forgot this question. If a passenger gets ill on a train with just the driver, other commuters will activate a Passenger Alarm, depending on how old is the train, you get the alarm on the cab, you then talk to the controller and request staff assistance at next station, for more modern trains you have talk back and even CCTV, so you can talk with customers and find out what is going on and request medical/police assistance while on the move and make a Public Announcement asking for any medical staff present in the train to help.

For trains with guards or other staff, they will be the ones making their way to the carriage with the Passenger Alarm and dealing with the situation, updating the driver as necessary.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:39 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think rail automation can be compared with car automation.

Automated cars will generally be standalone units which sense only what's around them, and use GPS with traffic alerts to find the best route to get from A to B.

Trains, by the fact that they're on rails, cannot be treated as independent units. They're part of a huge network of other trains all sharing the exact same tracks, all wanting to use those tracks, and all needing to do so in the most timely way possible. One mistake and you could end up with gridlock or cancelled journeys. Comparatively, with cars if you have a problem your automated car can quite easily drive around it in numerous ways. Cars 'flow' whereas trains are restricted and need to be precisely controlled.

Definitely still possible to automate train systems though. And, once the automation is achieved, it would be way more efficient than roads. South Korea is a good example. Never have I seen more timely trains, always on time to the minute. That goes for tube trains and the national rail network. Admittedly the London tube network would probably need to be completely rebuilt in various ways, particularly the trains and tracks being used, which is a massive hurdle. And for automating the UK national rail network, sorry but it's nigh on impossible until railways are re-nationalised.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
Wobbling Dog wrote:
rejoining this,

why you no apply, is it a pay cut perchance ?

A pertinent question.

If it's so easy, such pay, many perks, etc. Why wouldn't any of the people complaining about it go and do the job? Sounds like bliss to me.

Here's the link, in case anybody is interested.
But they're still screening applicants from their last recruitment run, so don't expect to be one any time soon.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Ffs only 10% of wage earners are on above average wage.

That's a high average.

My apologies you're right. Its 25%. Still that a whopping 75% of wage earners are on less thsn a time served nurse.

An interesting website is the Institute for Fiscal Studies. It has a tool that calculates where your income puts you in the grand scheme of things fiscal.

https://www.ifs.org.uk
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8