Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

AJS Cadwell fuel injection

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

phburg
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:41 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: AJS Cadwell fuel injection Reply with quote

Hi all, just wondering if anyone here has rode one of the new fuel injected AJS 125 Cadwell's. I think it looks absolutely brilliant and i am considering buying one.

Also could anyone tell me if the quality AJS bikes has improved in recent years?

Thanks for any replies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:01 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea about the bike, but please ignore the above comment. Bloke is an abrasive idiot who should shut up when he has nothing worthwhile to contribute. Welcome to the forum and hi! Just starting out on bikes, or coming back?
Cheers!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:03 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does have a point though. 7.4Kw is a poor show even by Chinesey standards - I expect we can thank Euro4 for that.

OP, if you're 19 or over you can get access to bikes that will offer more performance and better value. The AJS will be a great laugh, right up to the point where you ride anything bigger, then it'll be regrets and swingeing depreciation all round.

If you just want to try out a 125 for a while, there are much cheaper options.

Yorick
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:21 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:
It won't look brilliant or get you the pussy you think with fuckoff Loser plates on it.

He asked an innocent question. Does your reply make you feel good ?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: AJS Cadwell fuel injection Reply with quote

phburg wrote:

Also could anyone tell me if the quality AJS bikes has improved in recent years?

Some of their cruisers are still a bit hit-and-miss. I've had an eco2 for years which has been great.

The problem is that "AJS bikes" covers a lot of different manufacturers.

Like the eco, the Cadwell uses the Yamaha YBR engine so is possibly one of the better models although I've heard of some poor experiences with quality control and dealer helpfulness!

Not heard from anyone who has driven the fi version specifically so can't help you there, sorry.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:29 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: AJS Cadwell fuel injection Reply with quote

Pointless Teflonian aside, the local multi-marque independent told me a few years back that they were actively avoiding selling fuel injected Chinese bikes because they'd had so many problems with them.

Give that outdated 3rd hand anecdote the credence that it deserves.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

I've not ridden a chines 125 efi, however, the RX-3, CF650 & the Mash are all efi, and I haven't had a problem with either. I've had teh Mash over 2 years now, and the CF 19months and the the RX-3 ~16months.

pburg
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:54 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies everyone, its good of you guys to take the time to advise me, your opinions are gratefully recieved.

I have to be honest though and i guess the truth of the matter will make me a bit of a laughing stock here, but pulling birds is way out of my league these days i am 67 years old. Smile

I also like the Regal Raptor DD125E-8, once again i guess that will make me a bit of alaughing stock, but just because im old does not mean that i dont apreciate style.

At present i have a Derbi Terror when i first went out on it the young lads in the area gave me a bit of stick, but thats youngsters for you. Now most of those kids give me a freindly wave as i pass and when im parked up they come around and ask questions about it, so i can take the stick, im used to it. Very Happy

I would love to think that AJS and many other old British makes could make a real come back just as triumph have. There were so many great British bikes back in my day so i would like to suport AJS efforts as best i can as long as i dont end up paying through the nose for it. And you never, know stranger things have happened. Very Happy

Thanks again everyone.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:25 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for supporting British bikes but the AJS Cadwell is made in China.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pburg wrote:
i am 67 years old.

If you don't have a full licence then get one and you won't be stuck with those horrible little 125 things.
That's not saying you have to get a big bike, but IMO a 250 or 300 is 10+ times better than a 125...

pburg
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:29 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
I'm all for supporting British bikes but the AJS Cadwell is made in China.

Yes it is,.....for the moment, but what about the future?????

Since Britain will probably be going it alone again soon, they may need to restrict imports and start manufacturing again.

Britain was delibedrately changed from a country of manufacturing to what they called a "Service industry" They could if they so wished return us to a manufacturing industry. I lived through it, i saw it all happen bit by bit. Ooops sorry i am getting political herel, but still i just hope we do go back to being manufacturers. It would be so good to se all those old bike manufacturers come back.

We live in hope. Smile

Thanks again to everyone for your replies.

pburg
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:04 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
He does have a point though. 7.4Kw is a poor show even by Chinesey standards - I expect we can thank Euro4 for that.

OP, if you're 19 or over you can get access to bikes that will offer more performance and better value. The AJS will be a great laugh, right up to the point where you ride anything bigger, then it'll be regrets and swingeing depreciation all round.

Hi, Rogerborg, could i just ask you what the "KW" stands for in the 7.4kw. Its not something i have heard of before.

Thanks.

pburg
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:08 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Hi, Rogerborg, could i just ask you what the "KW" stands for in the 7.4kw. Its not something i have heard of before.

Thanks.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilowatts

1 kw = 1.34 hp

pburg
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:38 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Kilowatts

1 kw = 1.34 hp

Thanks EH. Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:47 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limit for learner legal 125s is 11kW or about 15hp (for various definitions of horsepowers).

7.4kW is under 10hp. On the road, that's going to translate to about a real (rather than fantasy speedo) 55mph on the flat and struggling on any sort of incline.

pburg
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:20 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The limit for learner legal 125s is 11kW or about 15hp (for various definitions of horsepowers).

7.4kW is under 10hp. On the road, that's going to translate to about a real (rather than fantasy speedo) 55mph on the flat and struggling on any sort of incline.

Sheeesh, that is poor, and their scooters give even less, suddenly im not so keen on AJS. Do you have any idea why their bikes are so underpowered?

Thanks for that Roger.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:34 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much every Chinese 125 engine is a copy of ancient low compression 2 valve Suzuki GS/GN or Honda CG/CB/CM lumps. Add in Euro4 emissions, lean tuning and fat catalysers and they lose what little power they ever had.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of old tech trying to get through modern emissions tests = strangled performance, potential seizing due to ridiculously lean mixtures and using poorly manufactured copies of motors that are already struggling means the chinese are affected worse than most.

I was struck by this when a mates marauder 125 blew out the little end. When hunting for a motor there were loads of carb lumps about complete, but injection models i.e his, were few and far between because they didn't survive all that long. Ended up rebuilding it in the end.

Injection allows them to be especially miserly with the mixture. Great for emissions, terrible for engine longevity.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pretty much every Chinese 125 engine is a copy of ancient low compression 2 valve Suzuki GS/GN or Honda CG/CB/CM lumps.

Usually true, but the Cadwell engine is a Yamaha copy, I think.

OP - have you seen there is a new new Cadwell coming out? The Cadwell Clubman. Similar spec, USD forks, bit more bling.

Not really my thing, but... Meh. Each to his own.

Edit: Yay! 1000th post!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:34 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
the Cadwell engine is a Yamaha copy, I think.

Yup, it looks like the YBR engine, i.e. it'll be a Jianshe engine or copy of same. Same sub-10hp power though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1