BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FZS 600 - Not starting.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:24 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be popping when turning over like that, so reckon there is something more serious going on there. Also reckon you're wasting battery energy and starter motor effort. Time to begin the process of elimination and it's gonna take time.

1. Begin with the simple stuff. Check every electrical connector and test if appropriate. Have already mentioned rectifier/alternator. Are you getting lights, indicators, everything else okay?
2. Check all the air intake side and connectors are good and tight (no air leaks into the cylinders). Popping could be a symptom of timing out and/or weak mixture.

If no result from the above, time to get the spanners out. Pain in the arse I know but you've got a good garage there m8.

Let us know what the outcome is please.

Chris
Inverness.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:
you've got a good garage there m8.

His mum says thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing is off? ill admit very little experince with that.

Easy start rules out fuel or air leaks.
Even with bodged head gasket, compression is not going to disapear overnight on all 4. It would still run with lowish compression.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:13 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT's spark or fuel, so check the power to the ignition, if you spray a bit of brake cleaner up the intake and it pops and bangs then it will prove fuel starvation

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:
Shouldn't be popping when turning over like that, so reckon there is something more serious going on there. Also reckon you're wasting battery energy and starter motor effort. Time to begin the process of elimination and it's gonna take time.

1. Begin with the simple stuff. Check every electrical connector and test if appropriate. Have already mentioned rectifier/alternator. Are you getting lights, indicators, everything else okay?
2. Check all the air intake side and connectors are good and tight (no air leaks into the cylinders). Popping could be a symptom of timing out and/or weak mixture.

If no result from the above, time to get the spanners out. Pain in the arse I know but you've got a good garage there m8.

Let us know what the outcome is please.

Chris
Inverness.

Ether stating aid pre-ignites as it has a very low point of ignition. (That's why it is used to start stubborn engines).
That is what the popping sound will be.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirting a good dollop of easy start into the air intakes should get it to run for a few seconds even with no fuel. If it isn't doing that, then it's electric. Spark? Timing? Coils?

I suppose it could be low compression but the chances of all four cylinders passing the point of fuckedness at the same time?

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:32 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
It's difficult to say for sure but sounds low on compression.

2 on this - I was about to post when I read that someone else suspected the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:33 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I suppose it could be low compression but the chances of all four cylinders passing the point of fuckedness at the same time?

From what Fazer said regarding the head gasket, my money is on just that. All four failing on compression. Sounds just like that to me.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Only needs to be blowing across 2 and you'd have a non starter.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

had same issue, smashed up a spare plug and soldered it to the adaptor.

Compression tester is nothing more than a 250psi pressure guage, button-release-check valve, some hose and adaotors. Easy to bodge something together..

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:
Regarding the compression tester I can't find one with an M16 fitting....

Why don't you try searching for an M10 x 1.0 instead?

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:
Spark plug is 16mm so I thought I needed an M16 adaptor?

You must have a one off Fazer.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:53 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
Fazer The Bastard wrote:
Spark plug is 16mm so I thought I needed an M16 adaptor?

You must have a one off Fazer.

We can only hope....

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea, did you torque down the head properly? Is there any oil in the coolant and vice versa? Did you put a head gasket there? Thinking

This is BCF, it just has got to be something silly.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using fairy liquid to clean your bike. I think there lies your problem.

Happy to help. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 13:40 - 17 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

have the little spade clips come off the coils by any chance? It would turn over like in your vid but without spark on all 4 it isn't going to go.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:

No one of the first things I did was give them a clean with WD40 along with the female connectors.

I hope it's fucked you sociopathic cunt Middle Finger
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3