Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Being refused a test ride due to new rider?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 02:50 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Being refused a test ride due to new rider? Reply with quote

So, Im looking at buying an FZ6 over the next few days. Part-ex terms have been agreed. I asked about a test ride, and was told that as I'd only passed my full test a day ago, I couldn't have a test ride as I need to have 12 months under my belt first. Fair enough, I wouldn't trust a new rider either.

I accepted this, and asked the bosss if instead I can buy the bike, then take the bike for an hour, and if i doesn't work for me after an hour, come back and get a refund. he agreed to this.
What do I need to be looking for?

Edited to add: I asked if there is any chance to agreeing to a higher XS, but was told this is not n option.

What should I be checkng for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:23 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy one privately. Cheaper and get test ride.

Otherwise, usual stuff, check all gears select well, check it doesn't drop out of any when giving it some beans, check for cold and hot starting issues.

Likelihood, it'll be ok. But you never know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:18 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've about covered it. Just give him the readies to hold whilst you ride it. If you break it, you buy it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:15 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the standard pre-ride checks that you should have been taught on your CBT. Don't assume the dealer has done anything beyond hosing it down and marking it up £1,500 higher than what they paid for it.

I assume that you've already checked and negotiated based on the condition of the consumables, but check that it starts easily from cold, revs freely, that the left bits make it change gears and the right bits make it go and stop.

It'll be hard to be rational at first, although do be honest with yourself about whether you enjoy revving it to reach the performance.

I'd expect the dealer's agreement to take it back will last right up until the point that your money is in their hands. Peace of mind.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'd expect the dealer's agreement to take it back will last right up until the point that your money is in their hands. Peace of mind.

On that topic, as part of the sale, surely the dealer would be filling out the V5 and sending it off?
If OP then returned the bike, it's then got another owner? (or would it be 2? OP then back to Dealer?)

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should go elsewhere, to a dealer that allows test rides for new riders. The more people that do it, the better it will get in the long term. It's nothing new and it's not fair on the type of person who needs a test ride to know if they like a bike.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

On that topic, as part of the sale, surely the dealer would be filling out the V5 and sending it off?
If OP then returned the bike, it's then got another owner? (or would it be 2? OP then back to Dealer?)

I doubt they're gonna fill it in and send it within the hour that the OP has specified.

more likely they'll issue a receipt, then issue a refund if the OP isn't happy. Or tell him tough shit, "you broke it you bought it" if he drops it.

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:14 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all Wink Very useful.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:26 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Maybe you should go elsewhere, to a dealer that allows test rides for new riders. The more people that do it, the better it will get in the long term. It's nothing new and it's not fair on the type of person who needs a test ride to know if they like a bike.

+ a birrion.

It's not that dealers can't get insurance that covers all riders, since some of them do. It's a spending choice that many of them make.

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:06 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. I've signed the paperwork and paid the deposit.

They are a very respected dealership in my area, so I would expect them to honour their agreement. As mentioned above I won't be able to test it to it's full potential due to the new tyres (and my noobishness) but it is having a full service and MOT before I collect on Friday, and will have a three month warranty, which I might extend.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:17 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a very respected dealership who won't let you test ride a bike before buying it? Confused

What's their name?

Are they trying to hide something, do they think you'll go and buy privately after test riding or is it just that they can't be bothered to make a short phone call to their insurance company to arrange the necessary cover?

Do remember that by and large warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Quote:
asked the bosss if instead I can buy the bike, then take the bike for an hour, and if i doesn't work for me after an hour, come back and get a refund. he agreed to this.

There's no chance of them honouring such a vague agreement. Remember that under your statutory rights, if there are problems with the bike then you've got longer than just one hour to return it and get a full refund.

Go and spend your money with a shop that will allow you to have a test ride.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:47 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:
it is having a full service and MOT before I collect on Friday

Then they should have no objection to providing you with the replaced oil and air filters and spark plugs.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:15 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:
Ah. I've signed the paperwork and paid the deposit.

They are a very respected dealership in my area, so I would expect them to honour their agreement. As mentioned above I won't be able to test it to it's full potential due to the new tyres (and my noobishness) but it is having a full service and MOT before I collect on Friday, and will have a three month warranty, which I might extend.

lol.

That is all.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:21 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's perfectly reasonable on the dealers side. You could spanner yourself and the bike on your first ride for all they know. It's a logical risk reduction strategy.

Additionally It's not normally down to the dealer themselves, rather to their insurer who decides who can and cannot take test rides. Naming and shaming the dealer is pretty pointless tbh.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:32 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above. It sounds like they've been perfectly reasonable to me, after all it is their bike and their right to a test drive policy. If it were my garage, I wouldn't want new riders test riding my bikes - insured or not. It isn't worth the hassle of a new rider dropping it or worse, smashing into somebody else and having a 3rd party claiming from the business insurance.

Congratulations on your new purchase OP. I'm sure you'll be really pleased with it! Get some pictures up and let us know how it is.

Oh, small tip; Don't ask for the old oil + filter as proof they have serviced it.... They'll think you're a grade A c*nt.

Enjoy your new bike op Thumbs Up

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:18 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again for all your advice.
I won't be asking for the old oil filter. This post was to ask for advice on what to check for due to not being allowed a test ride, not a post to defame a dealership for not giving a test ride.

Ste, Paddy and Rogerborg, I've read a HUGE amount of stuff that you have posted over the last 5 years or so, and you know what you are talking about, but I trust this sales guy implicitly. We have talked about the deaths of our Mothers and Fathers over the last few months in depth, and I do not believe for one second that this guy would be out to rip me off. If I am wrong, then Martyn, my sales guy, can only be Tritey.

I appreciate that they may not want to trust a total noob with a big bike. I won''t be sliding it on the floor in the first hour. To be honest I probably won't be going over 70mph in the first 4 months!

"you broke it you bought it" I accept. That would be my own stupid fault.

Marjay and Bozzy, I'm so glad you replied. This morning I was starting to think that people on here were thinking I was the new Arcane. Thank you Wink

Last edited by Mark_UK on 01:43 - 18 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:42 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the dealers name?

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:45 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM'd.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:16 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass the popcorn

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 02:20 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does that mean?
Edit: Ah popcorn. You are expecting some lolz. Well I hope you are wrong, but let's see what happens. Hopefully I can Lolz back, but if not, lessonz can be learned.
Would you like to elaborate and let me know what I can expect?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:01 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy and his ilk are wrong. You go and get a test ride or walk away. Dealers make ķkks, don't buy the bullshit.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:03 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Additionally It's not normally down to the dealer themselves, rather to their insurer

Whom they're free to chose.

Eh, it'll probably come reet, most things do.

Pics of jizz covered bike are expected.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go into the dealers all agitated and look confused. Tell them that you have the cash for X bike or any of its rivals. Then say you've spent a couple of months looking at them trying to decide which one to buy, and which is the best?

Tell them not one dealer out there will let you test ride the bikes and you've not ridden any of them, so you have no idea how they compare or which is best for you? Maybe they'll take pity and offer a test ride if they smell a cash purchase being encouraged out of you.

I've done it in the past more for sounding out the dealer than anything else too. Don't go in all confident knowing what bike you definitely want, and see what they say.

If I went into a Yamaha dealer and the sales guy said the R6 is massively better than a CBR or GSXR etc, or that the other bikes were shit or full of problems, I'd never trust a word they said. If they said there's nothing between say an R6 and a ZX6R or that the ZX6R was a tiny bit better but the R6 was £400 cheaper or had another advantage over the other bike, I'd take the bloke for a straight talking trust worthy person I might want to buy a bike from.

If they say anything that's Bullshit or rubbish a comparible rival bike then I'd just think total wanker will say anything to sell his own, not interested.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:
I trust this sales guy implicitly.

While I appreciate that you've shared some personal experiences regarding bereavement with the chap, he is still a salesman. He is there to sell. They will engage a potential customer in whatever subjects come up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2