Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Asus parts for a gaming setup - Advice needed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Colin Edwards
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 05:47 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Asus parts for a gaming setup - Advice needed Reply with quote

I am putting together a PC with some old parts that I have access to. The parts are all in good condition and good spec. They are going into a Corsair case with a 1200 watt PSU. I just need help understanding what combination of parts are the best as they all have good reviews for different things

Motherboard - I have several motherboards and CPU options and wondered what one’s people think are the best to use:
Asus X99-A/U3.1 ATX USB 3.0 Motherboard / I7 5820k socket 2011LGA – 3.4 Gig
Rampage IV Extreme / I7 4930l socket 2011LGA– 3.4 Gig
Maximus IV Extreme / I7 1155 LGA socket – 3.4 Gig

Graphics cards
– I have 3 options of dual cards and think the GXT are far better option:
2 GeForce GT 740 2gig DDR3
2 GeForce GTX 660 2gig DDR3
2 GeForce GT 720 2gig DDR3

Disk - I have 3 SSD drives I can use as the boot drive. Should I stripe or raid the drives for best performance

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:23 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD would only be in RAID mode for redundancy, not performance on a home rig. Keep the best of the SSD and sell the others.

You'd be better off with a single GTX1070 / GTX1080 than any of those dual options for gaming. You'd also be able to sell the huge PSU and buy an efficient 600W one.

Sell all of the other cards and buy one of the above.

But that's just my opinion Smile

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:59 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy a new, nor used, high end GPU now. The miners made them ridiculously expensive. That being said, if you don't want to wait for the prices to drop, even a modern GTX1060 would do better job at much lower power consumption than any of those cards, that you've listed. GTX1060 is a perect 1080p/60Hz gfx card.

CPU/MB: I'd go for the I7 5820k, for the future OC possibility, when the chip gets old and slow.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:24 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main gaming PC uses a rampage 4 mobo.

It's very good in every way, other than that the 2011 socket is a bit restrictive in terms of cpu options at a budget.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm far from a gaming nerd, so by good, I mean things like the bios works with my wireless keyboard and mouse and has WAY more options than I even know where to begin with.

Mines paired with a gigabyte G1 GTX1060, 16gb of RAM (on a single stick), and a low end i7 processor. It's far from an ideal set up in many ways, but still plays all my games with settings up to full (at 1080, not 4k) without making a fuss.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Don't buy a new, nor used, high end GPU now. The miners made them ridiculously expensive.

I was wondering WTF was going on (been looking to upgrade) Sad I thought it was mainly AMD cards they were after?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
Don't buy a new, nor used, high end GPU now. The miners made them ridiculously expensive.

I was wondering WTF was going on (been looking to upgrade) Sad I thought it was mainly AMD cards they were after?

It was AMD cards at first, they seem to be better at mining. But, when those got out of stock, people started to buy GTX 1070 and 1080 cards as well. There are still quite a lot of GTX 1050Ti and GTX 1060 cards on the market. But beware and do your research first, some vendors sell the 1050Ti and 1060 for 30% and more, above the actuall market value.

The used GPU market is the same. People sell their 1070, 1080 and the top of the range RX cards for ridiculous amounts of money.

I got my GTX 1050Ti in December 2016 for about £120, just the other day I checked some local vendors, who are now selling the same GPU for £225. Shocked

EDIT:
There are 3 outcomes in this situation.
1) GPU manufacturers raise their production to cover the demand,but they'd be stupid to do so, because when the bubble bursts, they'll be left with ''unwanted'' hardware which would lead to significant price drops, bellow the pricing we were used to before all this.

2) GPU manufacturers decide to make specific mining cards (cheap, as you don't need display ports and other features)

3) GPU manufacturers won't do a thing and wait for when all this is over.

Colin Edwards
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:59 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just after using the bits I have and make the best from the parts

I'm just trying to work out what motherboard would be best from the 3 to use. The 2 Extreme boards are ROG motherboards but the other is the later Haswell series. As the Extreme boards have great reviews im trying to work out if its worth using an older board and CPU

The 2 GTX graphics cards running in SLI are more than enough

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1