BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A license

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

richfar
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: A license Reply with quote

Can anyone clarify this please my lad has an A2 license for over two years he is 21, does he have to pay for an instructor to take his A license or can he just book his test put L plates on his MT 700 and go
Thanks

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike has to meet the A licence criteria. If it can do that then fair game.

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-test/motorcycles-mopeds-you-can-use
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll need to 'de-restrict' it in the test centre parking lot. Or at least pretend to Wink

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 16 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MT07 will fit the category unrestricted. You do face the getting back after module 1 with the unrestricted bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:36 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
He'll need to 'de-restrict' it in the test centre parking lot. Or at least pretend to Wink

If the local DVSA Derek cares. Given that the onus is on the rider to show that an A bike is restricted for A2, it'd be a bit rich to question whether it's at full power for A tests.

It's only £15.50 for the mod 1 to find out.

Oh, in addition to L plates front and rear, there can't be any engine management lights showing and the bike must not be obviously unroadworthy (which pretty much means tyre tread). He needs to be wearing 'suitable clothing' (because DVSA think they can create laws and have a very poor understanding of how duty of care works).

He does not have to be wearing hi-vis, but Derek will be so used to seeing it that I'd throw on a £1 shop bib rather than arguing the toss or failing the Attitude Test (which of course does not exist).

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
the bike must not be obviously unroadworthy (which pretty much means tyre tread).

Chain is often an issue too. I ended up doing my test on the instructor's bike because the chain was a bit touch-and-go on my school-bike. The same examiner had (apparently) previously refused to do a test because one of the bikes had had a respray and hadn't had its badges/decals reapplied, so he couldn't be sure what model it was and therefore if the capacity/power were correct for the test.

Instructors/schools will have an idea of who are the troublesome examiners etc when it comes to box-ticking. Doing it on your own, you're winging it a bit, so the only safe route is to make sure everything is A1-tip-top.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
He needs to be wearing 'suitable clothing' (because DVSA think they can create laws and have a very poor understanding of how duty of care works).

Actually forgot a friend had to borrow a pair of boots (from the instructor) to do his test. But my thin jean chinos were fine (they were the closest thing I had to jeans) Neutral

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Actually forgot a friend had to borrow a pair of boots (from the instructor) to do his test. But my thin jean chinos were fine (they were the closest thing I had to jeans) Neutral

Social housing and chinos. I have the sad. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to do my A tests on my Fazer but a lorry put a stop to that... Now I'm dubious as to whether the examiner will deem it road worthy after I have bodged it all back together. Crying or Very sad

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
I was about to do my A tests on my Fazer but a lorry put a stop to that... Now I'm dubious as to whether the examiner will deem it road worthy after I have bodged it all back together. Crying or Very sad

If you're dubious they will almost certainly be. But it would depend on attitudes on the day. Nobody has that insight.

15 quid for MOD 1 probably won't break the bank.

richfar
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info all sorted now.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you actually have to so called de-restrict your MT07 for example to take a full A test on it though? Is there a different bhp minimum level and cc to take a full test on now?

In the 33bhp days I think you needed a minimum 46bhp bike to do DAS on, but there wasn't a cc limit, so you could pass your test on an RGV250 if you wanted or a 650 cc Transalp etc.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Do you actually have to so called de-restrict your MT07 for example to take a full A test on it though? Is there a different bhp minimum level and cc to take a full test on now?

Yes. It's all in the link I posted above.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:37 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

595cc+ and 40kW+ at the moment.

The issue is riding in with an A2 licence limiting you to 35kW, then saying that the bike is 40kW+. It's not really any of DVSA Derek's business, but best not to waggle it in his face.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there also a weight requirement coming in soon? That's just great Neutral

Edit:
Quote:
This amending Directive raises the minimum standard from 40kw to 50kw and introduces a minimum mass weight requirement of 180kg. The European Commission argues that this is to provide for a test on a machine that is much more representative of its class and to introduce a more definite difference between a category A2 motorcycle and a category A motorcycle. The UK was not convinced by this argument and argued against this change during negotiations. Only the Netherlands supported our view. The Commission with a majority of Member States supporting it chose to introduce the change from July 2013. The UK was however, successful in getting the change delayed until 31 December 2018.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't imagine that's much of an issue. Can't think of many bikes 595cc plus and sub 180 wet that your average training school will use.

They won't define it properly of course. Then it'll be an issue.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Shouldn't imagine that's much of an issue. Can't think of many bikes 595cc plus and sub 180 wet that your average training school will use.

They won't define it properly of course. Then it'll be an issue.

It affects a number of bikes, all the bikes with a * in this list: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/621858/Motorcycle-test-vehicle-list.csv/preview (they've removed the handy filter they had Brick Wall), which's neither complete or accurate as the 690 Dukes will become ineligible, as I believe the MT-07 might (depending on what figures you believe).

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some obscure BMWs and some lightweight KTM or scrambler here and there. No Biggie.

The one that confuses me is the NC range. Bullshit that's under 180: I'm guessing that star is because of the auto box.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
The one that confuses me is the NC range. Bullshit that's under 180: I'm guessing that star is because of the auto box.

It misses out due to the increased horsepower requirement. Yeah they aren't very powerful Neutral

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, missed the power hike piece as well. That's just such bullshit. Nobody on their test is giving it the beans.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:01 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Ah, missed the power hike piece as well. That's just such bullshit. Nobody on their test is giving it the beans.

Exactly. You could do your A tests on a 35kW restricted bike and still comfortably exceed any reasonable expectations about "making progress".

It's just Brussels dicking around because they have nothing better to do.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1