BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Long trip

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gards868
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Long trip Reply with quote

Well for me anyway. I'm thinking of doing Darwen Lancashire to Moffat in Scotland to visit some family, setting off around 0700 and back whenever I get back.
Now bearing in mind the longest trip I've done on my bike is Darwen to Kirkby Lonsdale and back which is 104 miles total.
Any tips and suggestions for stops. Will be mostly motorway.

dou91e
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:32 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking on googlemaps it works out at aprox 140miles each way
easy if you take your time, On trips we plan on a average of 300 miles a day and we also plan on a 10-12 hour day roughly.
we stop every 20-30 mins for a good 10 mins, Keeps everyone fresh in a group and also keeps the arse from getting sore.
I have done right round Ireland in under 24 hours before which was hard so a little day trip of 300 miles as ong as you take it easy and plan on lots of stops is a peace of piss tbh. enjoy it and if you can stay off the motorways, stop for sights etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:55 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

300 miles of motorway is just tedious. It's easy on a faired bike or with a big screen. At only 140 each way, it's even easier - it's just a couple of hours.

Use earplugs. Listen to something if you have helmet bluetooth, or consider in-ear headphones that don't hurt with a helmet.

I've come back from Austria by way of Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, France, Channel Tunnel all the way to London in one day, myself (~750 miles of motorway). The hardest thing about that is the emotional hit of taking a junction on the motorway and seeing the GPS come up with something like 'turn right in 450 km'. It's a depressing way to travel. Take other roads if you can.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:06 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A piece of piss. I did 430 miles in a day last weekend and my wife and me did close to 450 yesterday, much of it in a howling gale in NW Scotland and mainly on normal A and B roads. Did Aberdeenshire to Plymouth in late May - 650+ miles.

We are fairly extreme (or rather I am) in the mileage that we do but 140 miles each way is a dawdle - enjoy!!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did maybe 620/630miles in a day once! Once was enough for life, but after 160miles of mostly motorway to Portsmouth, the rest of the riding was on single track roads, as I really didn't want to do another mile of motorway, and I won't go on toll roads, and I'm not a 3figures blast it on the autobahn type of bloke either.

If I did that mileage again in a day, I'd want a vibe free bike, a comfy padded seat, and a light hydraulic clutch too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to ride 125 miles from Oxfordshire to Llandovery, where I considered the day's ride to begin. Have a blast around Wales for maybe 150 miles, then do the distance back again, home in time for tea!

948 miles in 23 hours was not so much fun. And not done at speeds that much over the limits either.

But you, OP, will at least get to put your feet up over a nice cuppa in between stints, so nothing to worry about. Some people commute those distances every day (poor fools that they are Laughing ).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just recently did 530 miles from london to spean bridge north west scotland in a day on a 125cc motorbike

so 140 miles is a walk in park on a sunny day!

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:54 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should have a new rule, Unless the trip is >500 miles (or indeed 500 more) then it doesn't qualify as a 'long' trip and therefore is not worthy of its own thread.

Standard advice would be wear your helmet and put fuel in the bike more than once.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop every 20-30 mins for at least 10?
Holy jeebus, from huntingdon to tenby (visit family regularly) would take 3-4 days! Op, if you can do it on one tank comfortably, make a stop halfway (Not in distance, use aa route planner and Google to get an idea of time) for a stretch and a quick coffee (other drinks are available).

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:20 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dou91e wrote:
l
we stop every 20-30 mins for a good 10 mins,

What!? Laughing

How do you get anywhere?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:27 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op it isn't that long a trip, stop when you feel you need a stop.

I used to go From Essex to Portsmouth on My RXS100 on L's this was before SatNavs where cheap too. that was about 120 miles.

Personally I find bikes fuel ranges are usually short enough to only need to stop for fuel. Obviously if I'm hungry or need a slash I'll stop too.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:29 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Long trip Reply with quote

Gards868 wrote:
Well for me anyway. I'm thinking of doing Darwen Lancashire to Moffat in Scotland to visit some family, setting off around 0700 and back whenever I get back.
Now bearing in mind the longest trip I've done on my bike is Darwen to Kirkby Lonsdale and back which is 104 miles total.
Any tips and suggestions for stops. Will be mostly motorway.

It will make it a bit longer but much more fun if you come off m6 at carlisle take the A7 to Selkirk then go over the A708 St marys loch road to Moffat. Good cafe at st marys

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about stopping every 20-30 mins? That seems a bit more than I need.

On any long journey I do 200 miles + , I break the journey up into smaller parts.
That works for me.

So I guess the point I'm making is break the journey up and if you want to stop, then stop.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1