Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insuring 600CC with A1 licence

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CivilDrone
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Insuring 600CC with A1 licence Reply with quote

Morning
I was wondering if its possible to insure a motorbike 600cc with A1 licence
Planning to borrow mates motorbike to go DAS but don't want to go through the Course as I don't feel the need
Wonder if there is an insurer which allows me to ride 600CC with the DVSA examiner present (module 1 &2)
I wont be riding on the road at any other time
Has anyone had anything similar?
Regards

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkesure on provisional. It's your only insurance option. You'll need to own the bike and be the registered keeper nudge nudge wink wink.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:29 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were talking about buying your own bike and insuring that, maybe, but as arry points out, you're going to have to spin some tales. If you don't have a prang it won't matter, but then you wouldn't have needed insurance anyway. If you do have a prang, the truth might out.

And bear in mind that the costs of being held hostage by a single provider may outweigh much of the savings from bypassing a training school.

Don't be under any illusions that cancelling after a month or so will get you most of the money back either, or that you can get "monthly" insurance and cancel it without penalty at any time.

Sorry to Tef out on you, but the cartel doesn't operate with this sort of wheeze in mind. Sad

CivilDrone
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is A1 licence provision?
I have done module 1 and 2 for them and pretty sure they are not
Regards

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CivilDrone wrote:
Is A1 licence provision?
I have done module 1 and 2 for them and pretty sure they are not
Regards

You would only have provisional entitlement for the bike you'd be riding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me that reads like;
' I'm too stupid to ring a training school and see if they'd do me a deal, so I'm ready for an insurance company to shaft me instead.'[/quote]

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Insuring 600CC with A1 licence Reply with quote

CivilDrone wrote:
Planning to borrow mates motorbike to go DAS but don't want to go through the Course as I don't feel the need

Have you spent much time on a 600+?
I suggest you at least have 1 lesson just to get familiar with one on the road, and then the training school may do you a deal to use their bike if they think you're anywhere near competent enough to pass the test(s).

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
To me that reads like;
' I'm too stupid to ring a training school and see if they'd do me a deal, so I'm ready for an insurance company to shaft me instead.'

A lot of people "wing it" and then call us. Personally I think its way too many hoops to jump through just to get it yourself.

1. Cant ride the bike anywhere apart from private land to train. No the local tesco car park does not count as private land.
2. All the bad habits need ironed out, everyone picks up bad habits.
3. Cant ride the bike to mod 1, or away from mod 1.
4. Cant ride the bike to mod 2.
5. You'll pay a premium to insure a big bike with L plates.

Getting caught for point 1, 3 and 4 will have you done for riding outside the conditions of your licence, it will invalidate your insurance and the chances are your bike (or mates bike) will be taken away from you there and then. It will result in serious pointage and fines.

Best case scenario you'll wing it and get through it with no hassle. Worst case scenario you'll fuck it up and end up costing your more than if you had just booked a DAS course and been trained by someone who knows what they are doing.

And when things are as clear as mud I'll even throw in a curveball. If you are upgrading from A1 to full A without doing A2 restricted, you need a valid current theory test certificate too. A2 and you wont need one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinky has made a good point. Theory needed, and mod 1 and 2 need to be done before it runs out.
Maybe if you tell bcf where you are, an instructor on here can give you some local advice/prices.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my personal opinion. If you've done Mod 1 on your 125 (and passed obviously Smile), and can practice on private land with a big bike then go for it. Hopefully that practice will give you a feel for the clutch and enough respect for the weight that Mod 2 shouldn't be a problem.

However I am inclined to agree that particularly if you're shit hot, a training school should put you through on a short DAS course. I was just shit (well when it came to Mod 1) and it cost me £330. I'm willing to bet you'll pay a similar amount to insure a bike which isn't yours.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
If you are upgrading from A1 to full A without doing A2 restricted, you need a valid current theory test certificate too. A2 and you wont need one.

Is that another wonderful permutation Thinking I thought if you were upgrading at any point outside progressive access (under 2 years) you needed the noob requisites (theory pass etc.).

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Is that another wonderful permutation Thinking I thought if you were upgrading at any point outside progressive access (under 2 years) you needed the noob requisites (theory pass etc.).

It's a fucking minefield to get your head around it all. But I will try. And it comes from an examiner.

If you do the A1 licence and wait 2 years full years then do A2 at 19 you do not need to renew the theory. You can then upgrade after another full 2 years to full A category and you do not need to renew your theory as it is classed as progressive access.

A2 to full A is treated the same, after 2 full years of an A2 licence you do not need the theory to upgrade.

A1 to full A is not called progressive access it is classed as Direct Access and a theory is needed as you are skipping a step. (I know its backwards, the examiner knows its backwards but there you have it)

If you are upgrading from A2 to A before 2 years have passed on A2 (normally age) then you need a valid theory again. EG Jimmy passed his A2 at 22 and a half years old but his theory expired 6 months before he turns 24 and wants to do the upgrade as soon as he is 24 he'll need to either retake his theory or wait the 6 months until he has held his licence a full 2 years.

There as clear as mud!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an instructor, do you actively encourage young 17-18yr old riders to do A1, A2, A knowing that the system is bollocks and as an instructor you would very quickly know if someone could ride a bike or not for shit. Also you must know that apart from the twat on here who kept spazzing up on A2 tests, that if you had a rider come through your school that could ride a CG125 like they'd had 20years of experience, that they could just as easily ride the same tests on a Fireblade. If you can ride a bike like a natural it don't matter what the bike is.

If you see a bumbling fool on a 125 making a right old mess of it, bearing in mind your job is to make money out of people, do you tell them honestly that bikes arnt their thing and it's a waste of time? Or do you encourage them, advise lots of lessons and tell them to come back for A2 because you think they'd be great on a bigger bike?

And finally why is machine control not more important in training. I mean they have to swerve a 125 through some cones at 25mph or something on test?

If it was about machine control I'd want my students to have natural balance and ability, and be able to wrap the bike around their finger to make it do whatever they want. Im not quite talking Gary Rothwell, but someone that has great control and loads of confidence, and is not one bit scared of the bike.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
As an instructor, do you actively encourage young 17-18yr old riders to do A1, A2, A knowing that the system is bollocks and as an instructor you would very quickly know if someone could ride a bike or not for shit.

We discourage A1. No point when you can do A2 at 19 years old so the CBT pretty much covers a 17 year old until they are ready to go for A2. We do encourage A2 as DAS for cat A is 24 or 21 with a full A2 licence at 19. Our upgrade cost is less than our full DAS course (unlike some other schools)

stevo as b4 wrote:
Also you must know that apart from the twat on here who kept spazzing up on A2 tests, that if you had a rider come through your school that could ride a CG125 like they'd had 20years of experience, that they could just as easily ride the same tests on a Fireblade. If you can ride a bike like a natural it don't matter what the bike is.
For the upgrades you have to stamp out bad habits and its surprising how many you have picked up between CBT's and full upgrades.

stevo as b4 wrote:
If you see a bumbling fool on a 125 making a right old mess of it, bearing in mind your job is to make money out of people, do you tell them honestly that bikes arnt their thing and it's a waste of time? Or do you encourage them, advise lots of lessons and tell them to come back for A2 because you think they'd be great on a bigger bike?

Both. There are some we have advised that bikes may not be the way forward but that is after exhausting every option to us. Sometimes we encourage extra training. At the moment we have a guy starting DAS on Wednesday, he's in for his second training session tomorrow in addition to his CBT day. If its going on to test we have requested the candidate postpone a test if they are likely to fail so we can conduct extra training.

stevo as b4 wrote:
And finally why is machine control not more important in training. I mean they have to swerve a 125 through some cones at 25mph or something on test?

Machine control is basic CBT stuff and always taught as part of the CBT syllabus. If that is not taught on the day then the student did not get a CBT. Module 1 is mostly about machine control for anyone gaining their licence. The avoidance is at 32mph, faster than it is on a standard town road.

stevo as b4 wrote:
If it was about machine control I'd want my students to have natural balance and ability, and be able to wrap the bike around their finger to make it do whatever they want. Im not quite talking Gary Rothwell, but someone that has great control and loads of confidence, and is not one bit scared of the bike.

Thats why there are training schools and there are training schools. Our policy is to teach the students how to ride. The tests are incidental to the training. By the time our school is finished with the student they are a competent rider, not someone who has a full licence.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo, you make a good point. Some instructors DO just teach people to pass the test. And take all the money they can from it. And, that's what happens in all walks of life. Pass test, well done, off you go.
Motorcycling, as we know isn't as simple as that...

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last 2 students had their mod 2 prep yesterday (we call it day 3) to get ready for their tests today (we are one of the few schools that test on different days than the training). By lunchtime we had covered the guts of 70 miles, most of which was country roads and national speed limits. Some of the roads were more challenging in difficulty. After lunch we covered another good 30-40 miles in and around town putting the final polish on for mod 2.

Test day today. One clean sheet, one with 2 rider faults.

Without letting ego get in the way, I am good at what I do. If nerves do not get in the way on test day then they pass with clean sheets or very few faults. So far this year I have picked up 4 mod 2 fails with first attempts. 1 of which was contested and went in our favour, the guy was given a refund. So 3 fails. We have 26 DAS courses booked between now and mid September and this year we have never dropped below 13 courses. We cant book the tests fast enough for demand.

So far this year we've put the guts of 60 new full licence holders on the road. The majority of their mod 2 training was done with me.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
M.C wrote:

It's a fucking minefield to get your head around it all. But I will try. And it comes from an examiner.

If you do the A1 licence and wait 2 years full years then do A2 at 19 you do not need to renew the theory. You can then upgrade after another full 2 years to full A category and you do not need to renew your theory as it is classed as progressive access.

A2 to full A is treated the same, after 2 full years of an A2 licence you do not need the theory to upgrade.

A1 to full A is not called progressive access it is classed as Direct Access and a theory is needed as you are skipping a step. (I know its backwards, the examiner knows its backwards but there you have it)

If you are upgrading from A2 to A before 2 years have passed on A2 (normally age) then you need a valid theory again. EG Jimmy passed his A2 at 22 and a half years old but his theory expired 6 months before he turns 24 and wants to do the upgrade as soon as he is 24 he'll need to either retake his theory or wait the 6 months until he has held his licence a full 2 years.

There as clear as mud!

That was my understanding but thanks Smile I thought maybe (you were suggesting) that A2 > A was different, but any upgrade under 2 years requires a valid theory test pass. Apparently it's our interpretation of Euro babble laws that created the requirement Neutral

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:54 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've all spoken, OP...how you doin?

CivilDrone
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew where to begin.. wasn't expecting so much output Very Happy
For which I am grateful Smile
I have had few practice lessons and feel confident enough on 600cc
I have A1 and a valid Theory
My dilemma now is to insure the bike for the mod 1 and 2
I have booked mod 1 for mid of next month
What I want to try and add myself to my mates insurance policy as a second driver
Not really sure what other options there are

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CivilDrone wrote:

What I want to try and add myself to my mates insurance policy as a second driver

It's unlikely that will be an option for you. There are very few companies (in fact, one that we know of, Bikesure, as noted) who cover bikers on a provisional.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:55 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CivilDrone wrote:

Legally: buy your own 595cc+ 40kW+ bike, insure it through Bikesure, and find some way to get it to and from the test centre without riding it yourself.

Practically: do it on any bike, check the "yes, I am insured to ride this bike" box, and don't stack it into anything.

I'll stress that if you go for an intermediate option where you're not quite legal then you've got the worst of both world - you'll be paying money for cover that will let you down in the unlikely event that you need it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Practically: do it on any bike, check the "yes, I am insured to ride this bike" box, and don't stack it into anything.

I would for Mod 1 as it's off road so it's a bit of a nonsense needing insurance. Mod 2 I'd want to be 'legit', just in case.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:06 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run over DVSA Derek; see what do.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Run over DVSA Derek; see what do.

Hand Aren't we getting into Vnuk territory here? Also think DVSA Derek knows to be on his toes. I was told a funny story by an instructor (whilst waiting for my test), of someone who crashed during the estop, the examiner walked straight out of the pad Confused

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:48 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Aren't we getting into Vnuk territory here?

Still waiting for that punch to the wallet.

IIRC, I was obliged to tick the "Yeah, insured, legit" box for mod 1 as well as mod 2.

It's not a risk free environment: you could stack it into Derek, the fence, or even throw your bike down and spill oil all over their nice grippy surface.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2